And the price of brass continues to grow...

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42162
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: And the price of brass continues to grow...

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:25 am

smartestmanonearth wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
smartestmanonearth wrote:I can see exactly why O scale is dying.

I’ll send you the official notice when its done so you can give people last chance to get their items. If you want to post in your magazine.


So can I. So let me know how I can order the parts that I want to get from you when you get the time.


You have a response in your inbox... resent directly to your email, the reply to the message through this system failed and didn't notice til this morning

Thanks


Got it - thanks!
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
webenda
Posts: 15413
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:05 pm
Location: Columbia

Re: And the price of brass continues to grow...

Postby webenda » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:40 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:Maerklin gauges......Zero, One, Two, Three....ad infinitum nauseum.

So, smaller motors were developed, allowing smaller scales, but the smallest was Zero..what shall we do?

Half Zero.

It isn't HO like they want you to think, it's H0.

Drives them batty.

Rumour has it that a gauge in between H0 and 0 was developed....and initially going to be called H1....but those guys were smart.....not gonna be half of anything....so called it S.

Darn clever of you Dave. :D
Last edited by webenda on Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

Spike
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:26 pm

Re: And the price of brass continues to grow...

Postby Spike » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:08 pm

Rowdy place here!

Spike

bob turner
Posts: 13647
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: And the price of brass continues to grow...

Postby bob turner » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:56 pm

Sometimes. This one sort of wandered into the surreal.

Post photos of trains - we all appreciate them.

User avatar
ScaleCraft
Posts: 6693
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: And the price of brass continues to grow...

Postby ScaleCraft » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:18 pm

smartestmanonearth wrote:
LarryK wrote:wow, just wow.


Right, my thoughts exactly. Guys talk crap about everyone on here for years, then someone actually calls them out and he is the bad guy...


Attitudinal Deficiency at the extreme end of the "scale".
Good thing I don't need to buy anything from someone arrogant enough to call hisself "thesmartestmanonearth".

So....if you're doing so good in the business....why are you trolling on MTJ?

Sure it's dying. It's ALL dying Customers die off, collections get sold at too much at auction, bought up by folks intent on flipping for 3-4 times what they paid....and little if any takers.
But, you're making more in a month than your predecessor did in a year. Good.

You ever see Roger talk carp (sp) about anybody here?

The only one throwing poo in this thread seems to be you.

That's okay. You probably voted for Obama, too.
Dave....gone by invitation

up148
Posts: 4756
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:52 am

Re: And the price of brass continues to grow...

Postby up148 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:41 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You go Dave!

bob turner
Posts: 13647
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: And the price of brass continues to grow...

Postby bob turner » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:09 pm

Hey. I voted for Obama! And Hillary too, even though I think one family member is enough.

Chris Webster
Posts: 944
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 8:25 pm

Re: And the price of brass continues to grow...

Postby Chris Webster » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:58 pm

Chris Webster wrote:I'm not a fan of his mono-tone weathering jobs.

smartestmanonearth wrote: bashing my weathering

Modeling and weathering are art forms. My comment was a subjective opinion about my reaction to your artwork. I did not intent to bash your work, just say that it was not my taste.

User avatar
ScaleCraft
Posts: 6693
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: And the price of brass continues to grow...

Postby ScaleCraft » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:35 am

Chris Webster wrote:
Chris Webster wrote:I'm not a fan of his mono-tone weathering jobs.

smartestmanonearth wrote: bashing my weathering

Modeling and weathering are art forms. My comment was a subjective opinion about my reaction to your artwork. I did not intent to bash your work, just say that it was not my taste.

I have spent an inordinate amount of my life REMOVING weathering.
I remember looking at the engine in question...didn't he say he took it new out of the box? And he did THAT to it? And wanted somebody to pay for it?
"For sale is a New Southern Pacific SP MT4 4-8-2. The model was built by KTM/US HOBBIES with its original us hobbies gear box. I literally was the first to unwrap the model. Did the few minor tweaks as always needed to ensure the model runs great. Everything was checked and lubed and ready to go. After the checks the model was painted, custom decals made, and a medium in use weathering was added. The weathering brings this model to life, real looking dirt and grime and just little highlights of rust and water stains makes you feel like you are standing next to the real engine!"
Sorry, once you take it out of the box, do your few minor "tweaks", then paint AND weather, not "new" any more. But, says you sold it, so good for you!
I have an MT series SP Mountain...most expensive engine in 2-rail 0 I ever bought....running...painted....$200 or so. Depending on rail type, with cast iron driver tires and sand cast bronze parts, probably dislodge your end beam or coupler box.
Like customizing automobiles. Gotta find someone with your "taste" to sell it to when you're done.
I always figured if some one was modeling the Santa Fe in Abilene on August the 6th, 1952, and 3:40 PM and HAD to have a fresh off the prairie steamer that just pulled in, covered with dust, dirt and grime, okay.
What do you do next week trying to show a crack clean passenger train pulling into Union Station?
I wasn't gonna say anything until some bozo decided to sign up and take pot shots at everybody.
Dave....gone by invitation

User avatar
2railjon
Posts: 15906
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:33 pm

Re: And the price of brass continues to grow...

Postby 2railjon » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:30 am

I’m with Dave on this one. Not everything on a layout has to look like it was rode hard and put up wet or dug out of a pole barn after 70 years. :mrgreen:
Image
Running that red block Charlie.

bob turner
Posts: 13647
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: And the price of brass continues to grow...

Postby bob turner » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:15 pm

Been years since I told this story:

Me too - a nice coat of Scalecoat glossy black, some decals and simulated graphite, and flame red on the injectors and check valves - an elegant model. And one that could get third place up against a heavily weathered USH model at OSW.

Wanna win first place at OSW with a well-crafted, straight as an arrow AC-8 in 17/64? Weather the sheit out of it. Otherwise, you will get beat by a stock Sunset with a fog coat of weathered black.

There isn't a right or wrong way to enjoy the hobby (unless you get a thrill out of abusing others).

HONDO74
Posts: 9134
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:55 pm
Location: Midway USA

Re: And the price of brass continues to grow...

Postby HONDO74 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:25 pm

bob turner wrote:
There isn't a right or wrong way to enjoy the hobby (unless you get a thrill out of abusing others).


I thought that's what this thread was all about. Abusing others seems to be a hobby for some. :wink: :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

User avatar
ScaleCraft
Posts: 6693
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: And the price of brass continues to grow...

Postby ScaleCraft » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:42 pm

HONDO74 wrote:
bob turner wrote:
There isn't a right or wrong way to enjoy the hobby (unless you get a thrill out of abusing others).


I thought that's what this thread was all about. Abusing others seems to be a hobby for some. :wink: :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:


It IS!, Or, at least it was. Until someone who has become accustomed to "everybody gets a prize" decides others opinions are not worthy of him.

I just let him go until he got personal with folks I know...and that was enough.

The problem that folks who hide behind the anonymity of their keyboard have is SOMEDAY they MIGHT just show up in a public place, and somebody they abused will poke them. Hard.

I'll look at anything...once...like a shove-it-or-leave-it in a Ford Model A. Not my cuppa, so I walk on.
Weathering, same.
Graffiti, same.

I even put up with folks (attempting) to berate me when I state what I have paid for an item, and that is all I will pay now if I need another...regardless of current evilbait pricing.

Did I tell y'all I hate evilbait?
I suppose somebody will get their panties in a wad and tell me how that offends them.

Remember this quote, and keep in your mind the only opinion that matters is HIS:

"Your opinion means very little to me. Funny how you brought yourself into a conversation that you were not part of in the get go. Must be bored down there in Mississippi. You know you read it anyway."

Then think about who brought who into a conversation they were not part of.

HA!
Dave....gone by invitation

User avatar
2railjon
Posts: 15906
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:33 pm

Re: And the price of brass continues to grow...

Postby 2railjon » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:59 pm

Being bored and calling out a douche-hat when you see one are two different things. It’s not rocket science. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Running that red block Charlie.

HONDO74
Posts: 9134
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:55 pm
Location: Midway USA

Re: And the price of brass continues to grow...

Postby HONDO74 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:27 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:


"Your opinion means very little to me. Funny how you brought yourself into a conversation that you were not part of in the get go. Must be bored down there in Mississippi. You know you read it anyway."



HA!


I don't live in Mississippi. I'm in Missouri. I used to live in California. Hawthorne and Garden Grove. In fact you and I lived on the same street in Hawthorne at one time. Doty....

As far as being bored. Nope. just find all of this very amusing and the entertainment value is priceless watching grown men get upset with each other over toy trains. :lol: :lol: :lol:

But you are right I should have stayed out out it but I just couldn't resist adding to what Mr Turner said. Sorry, the devil made me do it. I will leave now so all you gentlemen can have at it. :wink: :mrgreen:


Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 92 guests