Opportunity knocks...................

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
up148
Posts: 4756
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:52 am

Opportunity knocks...................

Postby up148 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:03 am

if you want to pay 3 times the going rate for a USH Bigboy. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403807174704?h ... R8T01KrbYA

Jay Criswell
Posts: 2003
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:38 pm

Re: Opportunity knocks...................

Postby Jay Criswell » Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:36 am

Butch,

I believe it's actually a Max Gray model and predates USH.

Not trying to steal the pleasure some of you get by reviewing these things ad nauseam but, as a MG it should be worth even less than a decent USH.

Okay, my contribution.

Jay

User avatar
ScaleCraft
Posts: 6693
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Opportunity knocks...................

Postby ScaleCraft » Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:59 pm

I grew up around MG's. That was the cat's meow to own.
That said, usually they were unpainted to show off they were brass.
I cannot ever recall an MG looking that good, but hey, what do I know, I'm just and oldephart.

To me, the bad part of the ad is "2-rail".
Why?
Center rail pickup rollers installed. Makes it three rail, and with those flanges, NOT round-topped tubular rail either.
Five Grand?
That's a push.
Dave....gone by invitation

User avatar
ScaleCraft
Posts: 6693
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Opportunity knocks...................

Postby ScaleCraft » Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:50 pm

Here's one that really is 2-rail, sold a couple of weeks ago for $1595, in original brass:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/185416742117
Dave....gone by invitation

up148
Posts: 4756
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:52 am

Re: Opportunity knocks...................

Postby up148 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:05 pm

Jay Criswell wrote:Butch,

I believe it's actually a Max Gray model and predates USH.

Not trying to steal the pleasure some of you get by reviewing these things ad nauseam but, as a MG it should be worth even less than a decent USH.

Okay, my contribution.

Jay



You're right Jay, I saw the gearboxes and quit looking. As for ad nauseam, yes the same topic, but different material.....there is never a shortage of overpriced crap on EB. It never ceases to amaze me how stupid or dishonest some sellers can be. I guess I need a bigger life, but it actually piss*s me off that someone can be that opportunistic/clueless or downright dishonest, to not even look at other ads for the same items (in this particular case) for less than half what they want..............and still remain unsold.

If you read the feedback for this seller, he sold a diesel and wrapped it in newspaper for shipment. It was damaged and the buyer tried to refuse a return/refund..........eBay stepped in and settled the matter. That is a bad seller.

Another model was damaged in shipment as well as misdescribed in the description, but although the buyer mentioned it in his comment, he still posted positive feedback. :roll: :roll:

I've been with EB since it's inception in 1998 and the amount of scum sellers has steadily increased. I use EB along with other websites to gauge the market, as I still have items that I'm starting to sell. So, I just enjoy seeing what's out there and invariable run into these arse holes along the journey.

bob turner
Posts: 13648
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: Opportunity knocks...................

Postby bob turner » Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:25 pm

I don’t believe there is any non-religious moral code that dictates that a seller must offer items at a reasonable price.

However, it is entertaining to see some of these prices - so if this is what it takes to keep MTJ active, I am all for it.

Don’t buy overpriced junk!

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42165
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: Opportunity knocks...................

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:21 pm

bob turner wrote:I don’t believe there is any non-religious moral code that dictates that a seller must offer items at a reasonable price.


"It's immoral to let a sucker keep his money."
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

Chris Webster
Posts: 945
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 8:25 pm

Re: Opportunity knocks...................

Postby Chris Webster » Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:26 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:Here's one that really is 2-rail, sold a couple of weeks ago for $1595, in original brass:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/185416742117


Another one:
Ebay #304563746219, KTM OF JAPAN UNION PACIFIC 4011 BRASS BIG BOY 4-8-8-4 STEAM LOCO & CENTIPEDE TDR, sold for $899.99 Buy-it-Now on July 21, 2022

up148 wrote:If you read the feedback for this seller, he sold a diesel and wrapped it in newspaper for shipment. It was damaged and the buyer tried to refuse a return/refund..........eBay stepped in and settled the matter. That is a bad seller.

Another model was damaged in shipment as well as misdescribed in the description, but although the buyer mentioned it in his comment, he still posted positive feedback. :roll: :roll:


My philosophy is to never ever ever purchase O-scale brass from anyone who also sells HO Tyco. The transaction will not end well.

up148
Posts: 4756
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:52 am

Re: Opportunity knocks...................

Postby up148 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:10 pm

That is a decent/good buy for one of these old USH BB's IMHO Chris. It looks to have some electrical mods, but I expect most of these 60-70 year old MG & USH locos have. Still the best models of these locos ever built.

E7
Posts: 8398
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 am

Re: Opportunity knocks...................

Postby E7 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:11 pm

Chris Webster wrote:My philosophy is to never ever ever purchase O-scale brass from anyone who also sells HO Tyco. The transaction will not end well.


The first thing I look at: Does the seller offer returns?

If the seller is not willing to take the thing back, that sort of sends a message. I don't buy or sell much on the Bay anymore, but I have over 1500 transactions. Most were great with decent folks. To borrow from Sergio Leone: The Good the Bad and the Ugly.

up148
Posts: 4756
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:52 am

Re: Opportunity knocks...................

Postby up148 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:35 am

Well, I see he's reduced the price to $3500 or offer. I guess he's done trolling for the truly clueless and now just going for stupid. I think it's pretty rare to find a MG or USH BB with a 3rd rail roller installed. But, if I was a 3R'er, there certainly are better detailed 3 rail BB's to buy, than a 60-70 year old MG.


Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 133 guests