The Tridaily Doorstop -- Bob's Mexicano Electric

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
User avatar
ScaleCraft
Posts: 6693
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: The Tridaily Doorstop #22 -- Lobaugh ATSF Stock Car

Postby ScaleCraft » Wed May 11, 2022 6:24 pm

Wait!

That flock of GOOSES flying overhead caused me to rethink this.
Dave....gone by invitation

User avatar
ScaleCraft
Posts: 6693
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: The Tridaily Doorstop #22 -- Lobaugh ATSF Stock Car

Postby ScaleCraft » Wed May 11, 2022 6:26 pm

The good thing is that a flock of CABEESE won't drop CABOOSESHIT all over your freshly washed car!
Dave....gone by invitation

E7
Posts: 8398
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 am

Re: The Tridaily Doorstop #22 -- Lobaugh ATSF Stock Car

Postby E7 » Thu May 12, 2022 1:49 am

Affirmation of why Turner got the boot from OGR. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bob turner
Posts: 13647
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: The Tridaily Doorstop #22 -- Lobaugh ATSF Stock Car

Postby bob turner » Thu May 12, 2022 2:12 pm

I did this one before, I think. Not my favorite caboose, but genuine Lobaugh with ATSF trucks. Too lazy to change them.

Image

User avatar
R.K. Maroon
Posts: 3136
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: The Tridaily Doorstop #23 -- Varney/GMC/AN 4-6-0

Postby R.K. Maroon » Fri May 13, 2022 1:14 pm

#23 -- Varney/GMC/AN 4-6-0

This is, I believe, the first post-war model in this thread. This ten-wheeler was developed by Varney and introduced just after the war. It's original list price was $100, which was an enormous amount. The Varney ads stated that their first production run of 1000 sold out in a matter of weeks (mostly to dealers, I assume). It's a B&O prototype, but I think it looks quite good in MKT:

Image

Image

Varney sold their O-scale line to General Models. They used the this model as the basis for an expanded line of steam locomotives, reusing as many parts as they could (for better or worse). All Nation wound up with the line after the GMC bankruptcy. I guess I should include Babbitt here as well, as they bought the All Nation line of steam somewhere around 1990(?). I would guess that this is the #1 selling O-scale steam locomotive of all time. They run well when properly set up and lubricated, and they seem to last forever if well maintained.

Jim
The link below any photo will display the image full size

User avatar
ScaleCraft
Posts: 6693
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: The Tridaily Doorstop #23 -- Varney/GMC/AN 4-6-0

Postby ScaleCraft » Fri May 13, 2022 2:09 pm

I've got a couple.
One is this one, no idea....cast lead or some such boiler. Much longer pilot to back of cab, tailstock extended. In pieces when I got it. Had inside cant cylinders for Stephenson, missing all the bits, so back-converted to what you see.
We did find the smokebox front, now installed.
NW2 cab back.
Image
Dave....gone by invitation

User avatar
De Bruin
Posts: 988
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: The Tridaily Doorstop #23 -- Varney/GMC/AN 4-6-0

Postby De Bruin » Fri May 13, 2022 9:54 pm

I like these a lot as well as the Mogul and Atlantic versions they "spawned."
Jim, the only thing that Katy 10 wheeler needs is a centered headlight, otherwise really nice looking engine and one just begging for a green combine and coach or a string of wood cars with a big yellow mixed caboose.
Political Consultant- Tap into the hidden powers of your public office, insure your future is jail free, well funded. Visit shock and awe upon your adversaries, dominate the media, thrill your followers. contact morbo@happydaysrhereagain.com

User avatar
R.K. Maroon
Posts: 3136
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: The Tridaily Doorstop #23 -- Varney/GMC/AN 4-6-0

Postby R.K. Maroon » Sat May 14, 2022 9:56 pm

De Bruin wrote:The only thing that Katy 10 wheeler needs is a centered headlight

And perhaps a steel plate pilot:

Image
I found this photo on the internet but forgot to record the attribution. Nice pic. My apologies to the source.

De Bruin wrote:It's just begging for a green combine and coach...

How about some head-end cars and an extra coach to go with that combine and coach? I think this is St. Louis, but perhaps others can confirm or correct.

Image

De Bruin wrote:...or a string of wood cars with a big yellow mixed caboose.

DIck Keulbs had a caboose like that. I was hoping it might show up as part of his estate, but I don't know what happened to it. I have a nice caboose though, so I am not complaining:

Image
The link below any photo will display the image full size

User avatar
De Bruin
Posts: 988
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: The Tridaily Doorstop #23 -- Varney/GMC/AN 4-6-0

Postby De Bruin » Sat May 14, 2022 10:09 pm

R.K. Maroon wrote:....How about some head-end cars and an extra coach to go with that combine and coach? I think this is St. Louis, but perhaps others can confirm or correct.

Sure! both the Katy and SLSW had 10-wheelers big enough to tote quite a few cars. Agree that shot is St Louis, likely west of the terminal, the elevated crew foot platforms (as seen in the lower right) radiated quite a bit in both directions out of the throat along the track work.

Nice caboose!
Political Consultant- Tap into the hidden powers of your public office, insure your future is jail free, well funded. Visit shock and awe upon your adversaries, dominate the media, thrill your followers. contact morbo@happydaysrhereagain.com

User avatar
R.K. Maroon
Posts: 3136
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: The Tridaily Doorstop #23 -- Varney/GMC/AN 4-6-0

Postby R.K. Maroon » Sun May 15, 2022 5:54 pm

Thanks, Pete -- It is a nice caboose. But I can't shake loose the notion that Ten-Wheelers were meant to haul passenger trains.

Here is the underside of the engine and tender:

Image

Image

The only surprise here is the presence of a circuit board up in the tender, which one would correctly suspect has something to do with headlight operation. Very happily, the unknown modeler took the time to install a directional, constant-brightness headlight and back-up light, as can be seen in these brief test run videos:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hw153678efj01lp/20220309_153453.mp4?raw=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m3hs4ipqusj19d0/20220309_153800.mp4?raw=1
The link below any photo will display the image full size

User avatar
R.K. Maroon
Posts: 3136
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: The Tridaily Doorstop #23 -- Varney/GMC/AN 4-6-0

Postby R.K. Maroon » Mon May 16, 2022 11:14 pm

Varney introduced the Ten-Wheeler with an unprecedented four page ad in Model Railroader:

Image

Again, these originally sold for $100, and, if you believe what Varney reported in a follow-on ad, the first 1000 units sold out quickly. That's $100,000 of revenue at the retail level, which is an amazing amount for a single locomotive model, especially in 1946. Hell, it's nothing to sniff at now!

Not surprisingly, the price of the model fell precipitously after the original wave of Irrational exuberance diminished. Here is the model as listed in a General Models catalog just 2 or 3 years later:

Image

I am not sure of the source of this photo, but it's a glamour shot from the early days:

Image

I think this model still holds its own today. Hat's off to Gordan Varney.
The link below any photo will display the image full size

bob turner
Posts: 13647
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: The Tridaily Doorstop #23 -- Varney/GMC/AN 4-6-0

Postby bob turner » Mon May 16, 2022 11:40 pm

John Dill (RIP) broke the record. Sold a non-operating version for $750 at an OSW over a decade ago.

User avatar
R.K. Maroon
Posts: 3136
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: The Tridaily Doorstop #24 -- Mi-Loco UTLX Tank Car

Postby R.K. Maroon » Wed May 18, 2022 1:53 pm

#24 -- Mi-Loco UTLX Tank Car

Here is a Mi-Loco tank car, hand-lettered for the Union Tank Car Company:

Image

Image

These are rare but not mythical. Cast aluminum, 17/64s, made for only a brief period of time in the mid 1930s.

Jim
The link below any photo will display the image full size

bob turner
Posts: 13647
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: The Tridaily Doorstop #24 -- Mi-Loco UTLX Tank Car

Postby bob turner » Thu May 19, 2022 1:49 pm

This one is a Mini-Scale, and is of a heavier alloy than MiLoco. I have two almost identical MiLoco tanks, one of them polished aluminum. They are indeed intriguing models, full 17/64 scale, and cast in halves which get glued together. Note my trucks - not sprung, but still close to Athearn in appearance.

As you know, I prefer Lobaugh trucks, but I agree with Si Simonton - the most accurate Bettendorf in O Scale was indeed the Athearn. Here's my photo:

Image

User avatar
R.K. Maroon
Posts: 3136
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: The Tridaily Doorstop #24 -- Mi-Loco UTLX Tank Car

Postby R.K. Maroon » Fri May 20, 2022 12:38 pm

Nice Min-I-Scale tank car, Bob. In the early days of my forays into historical O-scale models, I lumped Mi-Loco and Min-I-Scale together, as one followed the other and their product offerings were similar (and both 17/64's). However, Congress Tool, which wound up with the Mi-Loco line as their chief creditor in bankruptcy, actually retooled the line from sand cast aluminum to die-cast white-metal. As a result, the Min-I-Scale models are a step above their Mi-Loco forebears, and I no longer think of them as one in the same.

Here's a close-up of the hand-lettering on the Mi-Loco tank car:

Image

This is better than average hand-lettering (by far). If I could hand-letter this well, I would.

Like Bob's tank car, this Mi-Loco does not have the original trucks:

Image

Note that the couplers pivot on the king pins, but are not fixed to the trucks. This is one of the tells of a Mi-Loco model. Did any other manufacturer do it this way?
The link below any photo will display the image full size


Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 93 guests