March Show April
-
bob turner
- Posts: 13648
- Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm
March Show April
Uh-oh - just about to have another MMW Meltdown. Lines are drawn - true believers vs. skeptics.
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42165
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: March Show April
.
Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.
- ScaleCraft
- Posts: 6693
- Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm
Re: March Show April
https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/mar ... 6873102359
C'mon Bob. Links.
Interesting read. See the lines drawn.
But I gotta ask......what is "truckles rolling stock" ?
And who is the other guy?
"Please don't compare Midwestern to the "other guy" as they are two separate companies and completely different people."
C'mon Bob. Links.
Interesting read. See the lines drawn.
But I gotta ask......what is "truckles rolling stock" ?
And who is the other guy?
"Please don't compare Midwestern to the "other guy" as they are two separate companies and completely different people."
Dave....gone by invitation
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42165
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: March Show April
.
Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.
-
Chris Webster
- Posts: 945
- Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 8:25 pm
Re: March Show April
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:ScaleCraft wrote:And who is the other guy?
Kohs.......why they fear to use the name is silly; it's Voldemort,![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
I agree with Rufus, but this line in the NK post is also interesting:
Trying to coordinate a brass diesel with brass castings, etchings, electronics, drive systems, paint and other things is a lot bigger challenge than producing a car from one factory.
Maybe that line is referring to Norm Burkhardt? Protocraft has delivered a lot of brass cars in the years since Erik started taking deposits on his diesels.
-
Chris Webster
- Posts: 945
- Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 8:25 pm
Re: March Show April
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
In any case the little show yesterday in Harrisburg was quite good proportionally for me. Decent sales a few interesting 3D printed bits and a few bargain cars. Lots of structure kits which tend not to be at Chicago. Sold almost all of my built up structures which was novel....
My impression is that the Harrisburg show is primarily an On30 & narrow-gauge show that also welcomes other O scalers. Is that what you saw there?
- ScaleCraft
- Posts: 6693
- Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm
Re: March Show April
Chris Webster wrote:I agree with Rufus, but this line in the NK post is also interesting:Trying to coordinate a brass diesel with brass castings, etchings, electronics, drive systems, paint and other things is a lot bigger challenge than producing a car from one factory.
Maybe that line is referring to Norm Burkhardt? Protocraft has delivered a lot of brass cars in the years since Erik started taking deposits on his diesels.
Context!
"As far as Midwestern Models I have complete confidence I will see my N&W SD-45 in the Bicentennial paint scheme and it will be outstanding. I know we are experiencing a long wait but after he changed manufactures and was moving forward Covid hit. Trying to coordinate a brass diesel with brass castings, etchings, electronics, drive systems, paint and other things is a lot bigger challenge than producing a car from one factory. "
All referring to MMW
Dave....gone by invitation
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42165
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: March Show April
.
Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.
Re: March Show April
I also stopped in the Harrisburg show.
My perspective was it lightly attended and lots of unoccupied table space, perhaps even by a half.
This is a new venture, and the promoters did ask for input before launching, but weren't really receptive to suggestions outside their perception of how this was going to go. I'm afraid it showed.
Pluses; the food, venue, amenities, and staff were excellent as a local-sized show. I hope the organiser doesn't get discouraged but goes back and reviews what the O Scale community told him about the mid-March through April timeframe being very busy for O scale meets. I believe he thought the Chicago Meet wouldn't be a factor in Pennsylvania, but now should be a bit wiser.
If I were to be invited back to that conversation again, my suggestion would be swop the narrow-gauge June date with the April all-O date, since June is a big dead-zone for meets. Far less competition for attention and this show would have a chance to gestate a bit.
My perspective was it lightly attended and lots of unoccupied table space, perhaps even by a half.
This is a new venture, and the promoters did ask for input before launching, but weren't really receptive to suggestions outside their perception of how this was going to go. I'm afraid it showed.
Pluses; the food, venue, amenities, and staff were excellent as a local-sized show. I hope the organiser doesn't get discouraged but goes back and reviews what the O Scale community told him about the mid-March through April timeframe being very busy for O scale meets. I believe he thought the Chicago Meet wouldn't be a factor in Pennsylvania, but now should be a bit wiser.
If I were to be invited back to that conversation again, my suggestion would be swop the narrow-gauge June date with the April all-O date, since June is a big dead-zone for meets. Far less competition for attention and this show would have a chance to gestate a bit.
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42165
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: March Show April
.
Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.
Re: March Show April
I will make one public "shout-out" regarding one of the show-staff/organisers, Al Judy. He was everywhere making sure folks were having a positive experience. He helped facilitate a buy between me and a guy who wasn't comfortable with checks being from out of town, for example.
An "above and beyond" performer, Al, very much an energy that day. They should be able to make this grow and fly with a few tweaks and perhaps a little more understanding of the culture they are trying to attract.
An "above and beyond" performer, Al, very much an energy that day. They should be able to make this grow and fly with a few tweaks and perhaps a little more understanding of the culture they are trying to attract.
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42165
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: March Show April
.
Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.
-
Chris Webster
- Posts: 945
- Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 8:25 pm
Re: March Show April
I should have been clearer - I thought the "producing a car from one factory" clause was referring to Norm. If I were a MMW customer who was being told that my model(s) had been delayed for another year, I'd ask why Norm was still able to get his models produced and MMW wasn't. MMW is apparently answering that question by saying that Norm's delivering a brass car from one factory is not as complicated as what MMW is doing, that's why!ScaleCraft wrote:Context!
(Unless Koh's has recently produced some freight cars I'm unaware of - then it could be referring to him.)
- ScaleCraft
- Posts: 6693
- Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm
Re: March Show April
Chris Webster wrote:I should have been clearer - I thought the "producing a car from one factory" clause was referring to Norm. If I were a MMW customer who was being told that my model(s) had been delayed for another year, I'd ask why Norm was still able to get his models produced and MMW wasn't. MMW is apparently answering that question by saying that Norm's delivering a brass car from one factory is not as complicated as what MMW is doing, that's why!ScaleCraft wrote:Context!
(Unless Koh's has recently produced some freight cars I'm unaware of - then it could be referring to him.)
The only one in work is a Pennsy gon with containers, and no idea where it is in the scheme of "things"
Dave....gone by invitation
Re: March Show April
I'm afraid the OP on OGR is the definition of a true zealot. Correct or incorrect, the timeline is nuts. If this is the new normal, the brass import business (at that level) is doomed.
I was told by a very knowledgeable importer almost a year ago, that the models being imported from Korea are having the parts/details/sub-assemblies made in China, as the cost to make them in Korea is too great. They are then flown from China to Korea in suitcases, for final assembly.

I was told by a very knowledgeable importer almost a year ago, that the models being imported from Korea are having the parts/details/sub-assemblies made in China, as the cost to make them in Korea is too great. They are then flown from China to Korea in suitcases, for final assembly.
Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 58 guests