Dennis Mashburn reports that Bob Jakl passed away recently. He was 88. I met him only once, but he struck me as a truly great fellow. His layout was spectacular, if the videos are any indication. I have been told that building it was quite the family affair. I have met two of his sons -- also super nice guys.
Here is a short clip of a long video of the layout. It shows only the CB&Q part -- the whole layout is much bigger than what is shown here, and it's all just as good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJzSwYupKbA
As I recall, Bob built those bi-levels himself. They look great to me!
Jim
Bob Jakl
- R.K. Maroon
- Posts: 3136
- Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:20 pm
Bob Jakl
The link below any photo will display the image full size
- ScaleCraft
- Posts: 6693
- Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm
Re: Bob Jakl
R.K. Maroon wrote:Dennis Mashburn reports that Bob Jakl passed away recently. He was 88. I met him only once, but he struck me as a truly great fellow. His layout was spectacular, if the videos are any indication. I have been told that building it was quite the family affair. I have met two of his sons -- also super nice guys.
Here is a short clip of a long video of the layout. It shows only the CB&Q part -- the whole layout is much bigger than what is shown here, and it's all just as good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJzSwYupKbA
As I recall, Bob built those bi-levels himself. They look great to me!
Jim
Still waiting for four minutes and thirteen seconds of drone ads to go away with sound off.
Dave....gone by invitation
- ScaleCraft
- Posts: 6693
- Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm
- ScaleCraft
- Posts: 6693
- Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm
-
bob turner
- Posts: 13649
- Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm
Re: Bob Jakl
Met Bob over 30 years ago at a meet in east LA. He and Elizabeth are nice folks. 88 is what we all aspire to. I think Bob was a Delta Airlines employee, and retired to his Sierra home and model empire. He will be missed.
-
Jay Criswell
- Posts: 2003
- Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:38 pm
Re: Bob Jakl
Bob was a good friend. Kathy & I will miss the many interactions we enjoyed with Bob & Elizabeth. All three of his boys are still active in the hobby. This is the obituary.
https://www.mariposagazette.com/article ... KfazLeVxdY
Jay
https://www.mariposagazette.com/article ... KfazLeVxdY
Jay
- R.K. Maroon
- Posts: 3136
- Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:20 pm
Re: Bob Jakl
Thanks for posting the link to the obit, Jay. I knew Bob worked for Sperry but didn't know he moved around so much.
I also noticed he went to high school in Hinsdale -- this is also where fellow O-scaler Richard Garberson went. Bob would have been a senior when Richard was a freshman.
Jim
I also noticed he went to high school in Hinsdale -- this is also where fellow O-scaler Richard Garberson went. Bob would have been a senior when Richard was a freshman.
Jim
The link below any photo will display the image full size
Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 85 guests