ID these senior citizens?

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42165
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: ID these senior citizens?

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:30 pm

De Bruin wrote:I replaced the replacement Bettendorf’s with a truly ancient set of castings as a simulation of leaf spring trucks though these look more like really old time top-beam passenger trucks to me, any one recognize these?


I like them! Wish I had a few sets, too. Look a good bit like the Sierra trucks.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
De Bruin
Posts: 988
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: ID these senior citizens?

Postby De Bruin » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:01 pm

Thought I’d pick this up as a follow-up on the disposal of the club donations. Of the 181 cars in “the pile,” I’ve Ebay’d , OSYS’d or privately sold about 40 of the cars and have gained some observations, mostly around the Athearns, Walthers and All Nation 40’ XM’s. The final sales prices range typically between $12 and $24 per car. This is after they’ve had paint/decal touch-up, missing grabs, brake wheels, roof’s, doors etc. restored.

Given all of these are out-dated in kit design and appearance, plentiful and largely not much in demand compared to the better detailed and finished PRC made stuff available, not too bad. Many were poorly assembled too. Once you throw in the labor to spruce up/restore though you’re upside down. There have been a few outliers. That SC KCS double door car posted earlier here went for almost $50, leading me to continue a more careful/judicious approach to restoration of the remaining SC cars in the pile, kudos to Dave and Jim’s advice regarding the devotion of Scale Craft Nation to their preferred line. Also those single and double sheathed AN wood cars can get still get some good prices, cars with PRR markings still get about a 20% premium over the same car in another road, etc.

So no new revelations to share, though when one adds in the cost of shipping for the buyer (typically $10 to $15) then, in terms of total buyer's cost, these older cars aren’t as worthless as some would assume by any means. I'm sure the dearth of swap meets and shows over the past year has something to do it too.

After a 2 month hiatus I’m going back to working through this stuff and listing on 'da Bay; another example from the pile as follows.

Image
I don’t recall the kit manufacturer of this sad puppy. I doubt the effort to restore it is worth it either, though the idea of modifying it to some other use/purpose is a possibility as it does bear a structural similarity to the water tender cars the T&NO used behind the MK, C and M series on it’s secondary lines in East Texas and Louisiana. I might still take a whack at restoring it as a vinegar car though what's the likelihood of finding the replacement decals and missing roof hatch for it?
Last edited by De Bruin on Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Political Consultant- Tap into the hidden powers of your public office, insure your future is jail free, well funded. Visit shock and awe upon your adversaries, dominate the media, thrill your followers. contact morbo@happydaysrhereagain.com

J. S. Bach
Posts: 5820
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 9:30 pm

Re: ID these senior citizens?

Postby J. S. Bach » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:15 pm

I would almost like that one as-is!

bob turner
Posts: 13648
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: ID these senior citizens?

Postby bob turner » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:07 pm

Almost? From here it does not look bad at all! Standby; I have one of those.

bob turner
Posts: 13648
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: ID these senior citizens?

Postby bob turner » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:19 pm

Here it is - brass - built by a far better modeler than I

Image

User avatar
ScaleCraft
Posts: 6693
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: ID these senior citizens?

Postby ScaleCraft » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:30 pm

I'd be willing to bet Pete's is wood above the frame....and perhaps the frame also.
Dave....gone by invitation

User avatar
De Bruin
Posts: 988
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: ID these senior citizens?

Postby De Bruin » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:21 pm

Yup all wood except for detail castings, wire stays and trucks etc. It reminds of a spool of trilene on a weed eater.
Political Consultant- Tap into the hidden powers of your public office, insure your future is jail free, well funded. Visit shock and awe upon your adversaries, dominate the media, thrill your followers. contact morbo@happydaysrhereagain.com

User avatar
ScaleCraft
Posts: 6693
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: ID these senior citizens?

Postby ScaleCraft » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:25 pm

First clue is the bevel on the ends of the staves. Awfully thick brass to grind down to try to simulate that!
Dave....gone by invitation

Jay Criswell
Posts: 2003
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:38 pm

Re: ID these senior citizens?

Postby Jay Criswell » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:26 pm

I have numerous articles on building these cars including the nice write-up Martin did in 2005.

Model Graphics had numerous brass kits and #11 was a Heinz vinegar car. Si had one that had been started and it was left to me when he passed. Tom Peterson asked for it so I gave it to him. Some of these articles in this collection may have come from Tom. Number 12, in the series, was a brass Heinze pickle tank car. Catalog says it has 4 wood vats.

Bob,

I believe the car in your photo is from a Model Graphics kit.

Jay

bob turner
Posts: 13648
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: ID these senior citizens?

Postby bob turner » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:55 pm

Did not know they were kits. I thought mine was one of a kind.
Tom was a good guy.

Jay Criswell
Posts: 2003
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:38 pm

Re: ID these senior citizens?

Postby Jay Criswell » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:03 pm

Bob,

"Tom was a good guy". Not liking the sound of that. Last time I saw him was at the last OSW. Always had a big smile on his face. Truly, a good guy.

Jay

bob turner
Posts: 13648
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: ID these senior citizens?

Postby bob turner » Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:25 am

Misread your post! Tom is a good guy!
Si was a good guy too. Sorry for the scare - I have been "out of it" since they moved OSW to a 3-day holiday.

up148
Posts: 4756
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:52 am

Re: ID these senior citizens?

Postby up148 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:29 pm

bob turner wrote:Here it is - brass - built by a far better modeler than I

Image



For a brass kit this has some great wood detail, bands and buckles. Very nice car.

Pete's is a classic and real wood is hard to beat, just need a little TLC to bring it back to perfect.

:D :D :D

Jay Criswell
Posts: 2003
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:38 pm

Re: ID these senior citizens?

Postby Jay Criswell » Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:01 pm

I found a set of the old Champ decals for this car. Also found some for the pickle cars, but they aren't Heinz.

I suppose someone with access to an ALPS printer could make copies. Why ALPS, because of the white outlines. Maybe there's something else out there that could do it. I don't keep up with this stuff.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ ... &crop=fill
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ ... &crop=fill

I have some other pickle cars decals somewhere...just not sure where.

Anyone want to give it a try. I would ask for a few sets in return.

Jay

bob turner
Posts: 13648
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: ID these senior citizens?

Postby bob turner » Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:18 pm

The guy who took over LaBelle has Jim Wilhite's equipment. Jim could do anything - in fact, LaBelle has some SP Steam decals done by me that are really good, and available to anyone, if LaBelle is still "printing." Give him a call!


Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 258 guests