Hello all
George Stock of Philadelphia, PA is one of the father's of HO Gauge in America. George was also a master builder and a very talented with painting & hand lettering . Here is a PRR H10 Consolidation in O scale, circa late 1940's built by George Stock ...happy to be getting some exercise .
Please see link for video
https://youtu.be/WUXgvjGBfhY
Cheers Carey,
George Stock,PRR H10
Re: George Stock,PRR H10
Opinion here, but that speed is about perfect....usually they fly by and are difficult to view.
Not possible I know, but it would really be interesting to hear George lecture on hand lettering....not that I expect that I would ever achieve that level of proficiency!
Not possible I know, but it would really be interesting to hear George lecture on hand lettering....not that I expect that I would ever achieve that level of proficiency!
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42166
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: George Stock,PRR H10
E7 wrote:Not possible I know, but it would really be interesting to hear George lecture on hand lettering....not that I expect that I would ever achieve that level of proficiency!
I was watching a Brit show that had a sequence where the gentleman who did all the hand lettering for 1:1 steam just a few years ago demonstrated a bit of the skills needed. It's a level of proficiency and then also experience with brush choices that is simply extraordinary.
As for models, I'll be content to be close to adequate with decals or dry transfers!
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.
-
bob turner
- Posts: 13649
- Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm
Re: George Stock,PRR H10
There is hope for mere mortals. Note that with patience and a sharp pencil most modelers can create a decent letter or two. The problem is with paint and brush on an elevated surface.
I don't know why the brush is so difficult to control, but these new paint pens can be used like a pencil, and one can find a stack of books to create a level surface. All that we lack is a sufficiently fine point and controlled paint flow. We are very close.
Sadly, I let a George Stock lettered tender go on eBay. It went for fifty bucks, or about a third its worth without the Stock lettering. If I still had it, I would send it to Carey.
I don't know why the brush is so difficult to control, but these new paint pens can be used like a pencil, and one can find a stack of books to create a level surface. All that we lack is a sufficiently fine point and controlled paint flow. We are very close.
Sadly, I let a George Stock lettered tender go on eBay. It went for fifty bucks, or about a third its worth without the Stock lettering. If I still had it, I would send it to Carey.
-
Carey Williams
- Posts: 688
- Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:10 pm
Re: George Stock,PRR H10
Hello all
ok this is from an article by Stock about lettering
The October 1934 issue featured an article by George Stock "Car Lettering by Hand." "Use a Gillott 303 steel pen and burn the point with a match until it is dull red ......"
I meet a gentlemen who knew Stock and saw his work ......
pen in one hand, cigarette' in the other ..lettering free style ..no lines no arm rest no spacing ..free hand ...... some got it ...I don't ... Stock's lettering is very distinct.
George did a lot of lettering ..
Cheers Carey
ok this is from an article by Stock about lettering
The October 1934 issue featured an article by George Stock "Car Lettering by Hand." "Use a Gillott 303 steel pen and burn the point with a match until it is dull red ......"
I meet a gentlemen who knew Stock and saw his work ......
pen in one hand, cigarette' in the other ..lettering free style ..no lines no arm rest no spacing ..free hand ...... some got it ...I don't ... Stock's lettering is very distinct.
George did a lot of lettering ..
Cheers Carey
Re: George Stock,PRR H10
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:As for models, I'll be content to be close to adequate with decals or dry transfers!
I resemble that remark and the emphasis would be on "close to adequate". As Clint Eastwood said: A man has got to know his limitations.
Nervous Narvus
Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 88 guests