Grumble

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
bob turner
Posts: 13648
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Grumble

Postby bob turner » Wed May 19, 2021 9:15 pm

Some of the photos I post here are snapped using the iPad camera. We just found out that these are not private photos - somebody captured them, formed a collage, and offered to sell us something.

Picture a nice collage of my AFT PA, next to a picture of a broken toilet and on top of a greasy tailwheel with a broken spring.

Fortunately, no shots of glands or any kind of illegal activity in our albums. I bet they can read my drafts, many of which I never send to anybody.

User avatar
robert.
Posts: 6010
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:24 am

Re: Grumble

Postby robert. » Wed May 19, 2021 9:25 pm

when you use a photo hosting site. They own your photos. It's in the small print with all that blah blah blah.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

bob turner
Posts: 13648
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: Grumble

Postby bob turner » Wed May 19, 2021 10:16 pm

No - I realize that. They got into my private stash on my iPad. Very few of my iPad photos go into Shutterfly or Photobucket. Watch out what you put on your phone?

bob turner
Posts: 13648
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: Grumble

Postby bob turner » Wed May 19, 2021 10:18 pm

Oh - and the fine print may say they own your photos, but you hold the copyright. I suppose they could word it so you give up your rights.

E7
Posts: 8398
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 am

Re: Grumble

Postby E7 » Wed May 19, 2021 10:28 pm

bob turner wrote:Fortunately, no shots of glands or any kind of illegal activity in our albums.


Maybe you should put one in there of your "backside" so you can tell them what they can kiss!

If storage of material on a site transfers right of use to that site, "they" can stick that site up their rosy red rectum. If I understand what Robert says correctly, you are giving them the right to use your intellectual property when you use their site to store your stuff. No thanks.

User avatar
robert.
Posts: 6010
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:24 am

Re: Grumble

Postby robert. » Thu May 20, 2021 7:24 am

bob turner wrote:No - I realize that. They got into my private stash on my iPad. Very few of my iPad photos go into Shutterfly or Photobucket. Watch out what you put on your phone?

In that fine print you gave them access to your microphone. if you speak with an apple tech. They will show you how to change some settings. It's a bit of a pain to do. You set it up to ask "allow access" when uploading photos then change it back to don't allow. Your ipad is set up to ask once for permission and not to ask again. It cant be set up to ask every time.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42165
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: Grumble

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu May 20, 2021 9:00 am

bob turner wrote:Oh - and the fine print may say they own your photos, but you hold the copyright. I suppose they could word it so you give up your rights.


As long as you hold the copyright, you own the rights to the photo. Wording the terms of use to transfer copyright would probably result in their being out of business very rapidly.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42165
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: Grumble

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu May 20, 2021 9:02 am

bob turner wrote:No - I realize that. They got into my private stash on my iPad. Very few of my iPad photos go into Shutterfly or Photobucket. Watch out what you put on your phone?


If they -- wait, just who is they? - got into your iPad you need to not agree to whatever it was you agreed to.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42165
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: Grumble

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu May 20, 2021 9:03 am

robert. wrote:
bob turner wrote:No - I realize that. They got into my private stash on my iPad. Very few of my iPad photos go into Shutterfly or Photobucket. Watch out what you put on your phone?

In that fine print you gave them access to your microphone. if you speak with an apple tech. They will show you how to change some settings. It's a bit of a pain to do. You set it up to ask "allow access" when uploading photos then change it back to don't allow. Your ipad is set up to ask once for permission and not to ask again. It cant be set up to ask every time.


Right - if you agreed to it......
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

herronpeter
Posts: 748
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:13 pm
Location: Clifton Park, NY

Re: Grumble

Postby herronpeter » Sun May 23, 2021 11:43 am

And THIS is why someone needs to clean out the server on this forum so we can post pictures again. I have voiced my opinion about these “hosting” sites before. Not for me! I’ll continue to post YouTube videos as I trust that site. Maybe I’ll make my pictures into “slide shows” and post as YouTube videos. But why should I go to all that trouble? No other forum needs all these gyrations to post a darn picture!

Peter

bob turner
Posts: 13648
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: Grumble

Postby bob turner » Sun May 23, 2021 1:45 pm

Well, don't forget - it is free here.

I am not happy with folks going through my personal photos - but on the other hand my life is so simple and my photos so innocuous that they will get nothing useful from me - maybe my pilot # when I send proof of my flight reviews to the flying club, but that won't help them. Just remember not to take a photo of a check with an account number on it. A lot of folks take photos of truly important documents with identifying numbers - there you could get into a pile of trouble.

Speaking of trouble - the scam artists are getting better all the time. Latest was Microsoft implementing changes - "click here so your e-mail service is not interrupted." Yeah, right. Paypal scams are getting routine, and easier to spot.

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42165
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: Grumble

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun May 23, 2021 8:23 pm

bob turner wrote:Well, don't forget - it is free here.


Rule #11: Even if it’s free, you can always buy it cheaper.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
De Bruin
Posts: 988
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: Grumble

Postby De Bruin » Sun May 23, 2021 8:48 pm

I'm at a point now where I like reliability enough to pay for it, so I pay the hosting charge. Dumb? lazy? yes
but it's less per month than a fast food lunch and I do use it for more than posting here to so I just pay it.
Furthermore I get better results now from them if I have a tech support issue which happens.

Rufus, neat quote regarding opinion vs empathy, author?
Political Consultant- Tap into the hidden powers of your public office, insure your future is jail free, well funded. Visit shock and awe upon your adversaries, dominate the media, thrill your followers. contact morbo@happydaysrhereagain.com

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42165
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: Grumble

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon May 24, 2021 8:51 am

De Bruin wrote:I'm at a point now where I like reliability enough to pay for it, so I pay the hosting charge. Dumb? lazy? yes
but it's less per month than a fast food lunch and I do use it for more than posting here to so I just pay it.
Furthermore I get better results now from them if I have a tech support issue which happens.


Same. I could also adjust the setting on my hosting account to be completely private as well, but that also inconveniences me a bit.

Rufus, neat quote regarding opinion vs empathy, author?


Plato
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.


Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 99 guests