Fairbanks Morse 2000 HP switcher by Baldwin / Walthers
-
Carey Williams
- Posts: 688
- Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:10 pm
Fairbanks Morse 2000 HP switcher by Baldwin / Walthers
Hello all ...straight from Steve's collection via Stouts .
I had been hunting for one of these beasts for awhile ...so when it rains it pours ...scored the 3 FM's in the auction in hope that 1 would be more or less complete with original drive. Very lucky 2 had original drive ! Power truck chain drive like used in the Walthers interurban's etc.
For a video link and photos please see link at
https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/fai ... n-walthers
I had been hunting for one of these beasts for awhile ...so when it rains it pours ...scored the 3 FM's in the auction in hope that 1 would be more or less complete with original drive. Very lucky 2 had original drive ! Power truck chain drive like used in the Walthers interurban's etc.
For a video link and photos please see link at
https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/fai ... n-walthers
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42164
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: Fairbanks Morse 2000 HP switcher by Baldwin / Walthers
Carey Williams wrote:I had been hunting for one of these beasts for awhile ...so when it rains it pours ...scored the 3 FM's in the auction in hope that 1 would be more or less complete with original drive. Very lucky 2 had original drive ! Power truck chain drive like used in the Walthers interurban's etc.
Saw those and gave it serious thought, and then decided I had more than enough stuff combined with way more than enough stuff to work on.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.
Re: Fairbanks Morse 2000 HP switcher by Baldwin / Walthers
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:.....saw those and gave it serious thought, and then decided I had more than enough stuff combined with way more than enough stuff to work on.
Ditto, though these are one of my favorites; I think Jim has one or two in his pile as well, but these are so cool and the prototype so ahead of it's time horsepower wise. It'll be hard picking which road's scheme to model.
The P&WV is my current favorite version
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5419941
though they looked pretty good in NYC lightening stripes too.
Political Consultant- Tap into the hidden powers of your public office, insure your future is jail free, well funded. Visit shock and awe upon your adversaries, dominate the media, thrill your followers. contact morbo@happydaysrhereagain.com
-
J. S. Bach
- Posts: 5820
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 9:30 pm
Re: Fairbanks Morse 2000 HP switcher by Baldwin / Walthers
Carey out-bid me on the painted one that I wanted to get to run in tandem with mine. Oh well, some other time. BTW, mine has a custom-built eight-wheel drive that I will probably never find a duplicate. 
-
bob turner
- Posts: 13647
- Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm
Re: Fairbanks Morse 2000 HP switcher by Baldwin / Walthers
Sort of out of place here, since this is not an F-M - but Carey sent two, with the condition that I return one all soldered up. Here is the one he let me keep - homemade end plates and footboards, which could someday be replaced with Kemtron.
These are better detailed than Kemtron, I think, but a bit rough out of the sand. My current mindless kitchen table task is to polish this one.
Carey and I are out of 40/42" wheelsets. So, apparently, is NWSL. If anybody has spares, insulated or not, but preferably steel, let us know.
Here you go - F A Simon castings from the Steve Neill collection. My F-M can be seen on the "hosting" thread.

These are better detailed than Kemtron, I think, but a bit rough out of the sand. My current mindless kitchen table task is to polish this one.
Carey and I are out of 40/42" wheelsets. So, apparently, is NWSL. If anybody has spares, insulated or not, but preferably steel, let us know.
Here you go - F A Simon castings from the Steve Neill collection. My F-M can be seen on the "hosting" thread.
Re: Fairbanks Morse 2000 HP switcher by Baldwin / Walthers
Those are really nice, and no need to weight them either.
Let me know if you want one painted in that purple-silver ACL.
I'm pretty much retired now thanks to....well you know.
Let me know if you want one painted in that purple-silver ACL.
I'm pretty much retired now thanks to....well you know.
Political Consultant- Tap into the hidden powers of your public office, insure your future is jail free, well funded. Visit shock and awe upon your adversaries, dominate the media, thrill your followers. contact morbo@happydaysrhereagain.com
-
bob turner
- Posts: 13647
- Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm
Re: Fairbanks Morse 2000 HP switcher by Baldwin / Walthers
Thank you for the offer. I am of course tempted - I have not had the incentive to paint since the changes in paint formulae. My purple rattlecan has been laying around for two years.
I would need to return the favor - my skills range from machining to doorstop soldering.
I would need to return the favor - my skills range from machining to doorstop soldering.
-
Jay Criswell
- Posts: 2003
- Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:38 pm
Re: Fairbanks Morse 2000 HP switcher by Baldwin / Walthers
40 & 42 inch wheels in short supply?!
Wasn't that long ago, when NWSL announced they were being purchased, some smart *** made the statement , and I have to paraphrase here, "Bet all the people that bought a lot of their wheels & parts, regret it now". That was a stupid and shortsighted statement by a clown. I bought a bunch of wheels & parts. I still have plenty and don't have the slightest regret for doing so.
Bob,
Are you and Carey looking for 172 tread?
Jay
Wasn't that long ago, when NWSL announced they were being purchased, some smart *** made the statement , and I have to paraphrase here, "Bet all the people that bought a lot of their wheels & parts, regret it now". That was a stupid and shortsighted statement by a clown. I bought a bunch of wheels & parts. I still have plenty and don't have the slightest regret for doing so.
Bob,
Are you and Carey looking for 172 tread?
Jay
Re: Fairbanks Morse 2000 HP switcher by Baldwin / Walthers
bob turner wrote:Sort of out of place here, since this is not an F-M - but Carey sent two, with the condition that I return one all soldered up. Here is the one he let me keep - homemade end plates and footboards, which could someday be replaced with Kemtron.
These are better detailed than Kemtron, I think, but a bit rough out of the sand. My current mindless kitchen table task is to polish this one.
Carey and I are out of 40/42" wheelsets. So, apparently, is NWSL. If anybody has spares, insulated or not, but preferably steel, let us know.
Here you go - F A Simon castings from the Steve Neill collection. My F-M can be seen on the "hosting" thread.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AUEL-OTHERS-O- ... Sw6RRf5pYV
Look at mr poplar's stuff. He has a ton of wheels for sale
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes
-
bob turner
- Posts: 13647
- Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm
Re: Fairbanks Morse 2000 HP switcher by Baldwin / Walthers
Robert - please don't copy my photos without asking. I will happily give you permission if it is for a good cause.
-
bob turner
- Posts: 13647
- Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm
Re: Fairbanks Morse 2000 HP switcher by Baldwin / Walthers
Mr. Poplar does not specify diameter over the tread. Neither does Mr. honeybee.
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42164
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: Fairbanks Morse 2000 HP switcher by Baldwin / Walthers
bob turner wrote:Mr. Poplar does not specify diameter over the tread.
I'm guessing that he either doesn't care to bother or doesn't care to bother.
Neither does Mr. honeybee.
Who?
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.
Re: Fairbanks Morse 2000 HP switcher by Baldwin / Walthers
bob turner wrote:Robert - please don't copy my photos without asking. I will happily give you permission if it is for a good cause.
What? I sold them to a magazine for $5.00
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42164
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: Fairbanks Morse 2000 HP switcher by Baldwin / Walthers
robert. wrote: Once you place your photos on a hosting site they own them.
That's not really true; copyright is always retained by the photographer. If they use them w/o your express permission and that's not ToS, then they are in violation of copyright. The exact same rumor was spread about Photobucket -- right in their ToS stated that copyright is always retained by the photographer.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.
Re: Fairbanks Morse 2000 HP switcher by Baldwin / Walthers
I take that back flickr no longer owns the rights. They have been hit with a few class actions.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes
Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 50 guests
