DD40 thread

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
up148
Posts: 4756
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:52 am

DD40 thread

Postby up148 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:10 pm

I thought there was a thread about a PSC DD40 several years ago but can't seem to find it. Rich thought it was 2railjon who started it, buy my searches have come up zilch.

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42164
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: DD40 thread

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:45 pm

Probably a purge victim....
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

E7
Posts: 8398
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 am

Re: DD40 thread

Postby E7 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:14 pm


up148
Posts: 4756
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:52 am

Re: DD40 thread

Postby up148 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:44 am

Very interesting thread that cover a lot of ground Rich, but I thought Jon actually had a thread that showed the model with the shell off and showed the infamous geared axle drive system....but maybe I'm dreaming. :shock:

I don't understand the problem Jon had with the roof over the passageway between the two side walkways, as this model is built like a brick. KTM used much thicker brass sheet than any of the Korean builders use/used, as Bob T has pointed out many times on the KTM built steam engines. When you dismantle this model, you can easily see (and feel) the Japanese heritage from how robustly it's engineered and built. Diesel models were never KTM's strong point and the drive is a real Rube Goldberg affair, but the build is superior. It has two chassis (frame and sub-frame) and each is thicker brass than a typical OMI or KEY single frame.chassis. They are screwed to each other making for a very strong structure for the shell to sit on.

bob turner
Posts: 13647
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: DD40 thread

Postby bob turner » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:26 pm

Send it to Jay - I bet he would include the repairs in the cost of a decent driveline.

up148
Posts: 4756
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:52 am

Re: DD40 thread

Postby up148 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:38 am

Yep, I thought about that Bob, but I want to keep this model stock. I have others I'm communicating with Jay about, but this model is so large I'd have nowhere to run it, so it will be display only. I also appreciate the intrinsic value (to me) of a KTM built model or a relic of the 80's. :D


Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 86 guests