odd...Neill's stuff?

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
bob turner
Posts: 13648
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: odd...Neill's stuff?

Postby bob turner » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:06 am

I saw a string of arch bar "Ball Jar" ice cars in Pensacola in 1955. Wish I had been a camera freak.

bob turner
Posts: 13648
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: odd...Neill's stuff?

Postby bob turner » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:08 am

By the way, Mr. Poplar has expanded his offerings, including lots of fragments. He splits up boilers and details, then combines unrelated castings. Still, of interest to me, at current prices.

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42165
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: odd...Neill's stuff?

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:27 am

bob turner wrote:By the way, Mr. Poplar has expanded his offerings, including lots of fragments. He splits up boilers and details, then combines unrelated castings. Still, of interest to me, at current prices.


Normal. He bought some of those really big lots that were not sorted into matched parts and is guessing what goes with what. Just as you say though, some are of interest regardless.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

E7
Posts: 8398
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 am

Re: odd...Neill's stuff?

Postby E7 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:46 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
E7 wrote:
bob turner wrote:Yes - pretty sure PRR used those ugly one-spring trucks under most cabin cars. I would put arch bars on an N6a or N6b.


They were banned from interchange after 1939.


How many PRR cabin cars ever interchanged?


90,481,776,083,917.27 give or take! :wink:

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42165
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: odd...Neill's stuff?

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:25 am

E7 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
E7 wrote:
They were banned from interchange after 1939.


How many PRR cabin cars ever interchanged?


90,481,776,083,917.27 give or take! :wink:


Right.........I can see all the photos of those N5's running over the UP right now.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

E7
Posts: 8398
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 am

Re: odd...Neill's stuff?

Postby E7 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:13 pm

That's nice, but I was referring to arch bar trucks.

bob turner
Posts: 13648
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: odd...Neill's stuff?

Postby bob turner » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:31 am

Difficult to interchange the trucks without the caboose? I think quite a few arch bar-equipped cabin cars lasted into the 1950s.

E7
Posts: 8398
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 am

Re: odd...Neill's stuff?

Postby E7 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:29 am

bob turner wrote:Difficult to interchange the trucks without the caboose? I think quite a few arch bar-equipped cabin cars lasted into the 1950s.


I don't recall seeing a PRR cabin with arch bars (real or model), but then I didn't see them all. You just turned the BIG 8-0. That would have made you 10 years old in 1950. Were you out looking for arch bar trucks on PRR cabins at age 10? :shock:

E7
Posts: 8398
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 am

Re: odd...Neill's stuff?

Postby E7 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:50 am

bob turner wrote:I saw a string of arch bar "Ball Jar" ice cars in Pensacola in 1955. Wish I had been a camera freak.


'55 would have made you about 15 years old. I have a hard time remembering what I did 65 minutes ago let alone 65 years....you wouldn't be shining us on a bit? :mrgreen:

E7
Posts: 8398
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 am

Re: odd...Neill's stuff?

Postby E7 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:07 am

I never had the pleasure of meeting Neil, but he seemed like a nice enough fellow from what I "saw" of him via this forum. Looking at his stuff in the Stout auction, I couldn't discern any particular theme or interest. We ALL have our own little peccadilloes. Just wondering if Jim (Maroon) or someone who knew him, would care to comment on his modeling passions?

RIP

User avatar
rogruth
Posts: 24452
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:32 pm
Location: pembroke,ga

Re: odd...Neill's stuff?

Postby rogruth » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:59 am

E7 wrote:
bob turner wrote:I saw a string of arch bar "Ball Jar" ice cars in Pensacola in 1955. Wish I had been a camera freak.


'55 would have made you about 15 years old. I have a hard time remembering what I did 65 minutes ago let alone 65 years....you wouldn't be shining us on a bit? :mrgreen:

I'm 86 and remember qui[e a lot of my school days time. At least by high school, possibly sooner, I did look for the difference in car trucks.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Dennis Holler
Posts: 474
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:31 pm

Re: odd...Neill's stuff?

Postby Dennis Holler » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:59 pm

So, was this a Saginaw E6 or a mixture? I was watching it but fell asleep and missed it at $86... Probably not missing much lol.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/O-SCALE-2-RAIL ... 7675.l2557
Doorstop Rookie

Carey Williams
Posts: 688
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:10 pm

Re: odd...Neill's stuff?

Postby Carey Williams » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:18 pm

Hello all ..

yes the cast E6 is a Saginaw ...Bill Lenoir 1941 ..

Steve Neil was a collector /buyer / researcher ..loved vintage O scale ...had plans to building a very large layout ... set up framing / tables for the layout ..but never began laying track.

Steve was always kind to share what knowledge he had about the vintage pieces.

Cheers Carey

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42165
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: odd...Neill's stuff?

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:23 pm

Carey Williams wrote:
Steve was always kind to share what knowledge he had about the vintage pieces.



True! I looked forward to meeting with him in Chicago.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.


Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 102 guests