Better hurry.........
-
herronpeter
- Posts: 748
- Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:13 pm
- Location: Clifton Park, NY
- ScaleCraft
- Posts: 6693
- Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm
Re: Better hurry.........
Oh gawd.
"8586 SUPER OLD MODEL TRAIN LIONEL
Has soder repairs"
NEEDS soder repairs.
Nice gears. Nice truck equalization.
Be the first on on your block to get this!
"8586 SUPER OLD MODEL TRAIN LIONEL
Has soder repairs"
NEEDS soder repairs.
Nice gears. Nice truck equalization.
Be the first on on your block to get this!
Dave....gone by invitation
Re: Better hurry.........
Is that a Whitcomb?
How many of these did Lionel make?
I haven't seen everything Lionel made but I have never seen anything like this in any Lionel lists. ???
How many of these did Lionel make?
I haven't seen everything Lionel made but I have never seen anything like this in any Lionel lists. ???
roger
I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH
I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH
Re: Better hurry.........
It doesn't look Lionel or likely any tinplate manufacturers model to me either, thought the raised cab lettering is kind of old-school post-war Lionel-like.
It looks like an early WW2-ish GE 45 toner,
http://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr1401/msrm1.jpg
The in board steps over the fabricated trucks are an early GE feature on these, though the truck appearance is beaucoup primitivo, quite distinctive, spit-balling here but perhaps a promotional/factory model from GE to their customer? maybe one Colonel Korn of the 303rd munitions disposal plant again in Nitro WV or some-such.
Seriously though I think this is actually an interesting model and if I saw it on a sales table at show (remember those?) at around half the listed price plus shipping here, it would be going home with me. Thanks for posting this.
It looks like an early WW2-ish GE 45 toner,
http://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr1401/msrm1.jpg
The in board steps over the fabricated trucks are an early GE feature on these, though the truck appearance is beaucoup primitivo, quite distinctive, spit-balling here but perhaps a promotional/factory model from GE to their customer? maybe one Colonel Korn of the 303rd munitions disposal plant again in Nitro WV or some-such.
Seriously though I think this is actually an interesting model and if I saw it on a sales table at show (remember those?) at around half the listed price plus shipping here, it would be going home with me. Thanks for posting this.
Political Consultant- Tap into the hidden powers of your public office, insure your future is jail free, well funded. Visit shock and awe upon your adversaries, dominate the media, thrill your followers. contact morbo@happydaysrhereagain.com
Re: Better hurry.........
I'll take my stab!
Looks like a phase 1, 44 tonner, and what was a decent model at one time before idiots wrecked it. The 45 tonner had rods between the wheels on each truck. The loco in Pete's image looks correct, but doesn't look like a 45 tonner.....no rods on the trucks. It doesn't look to me like it was ever a 3 rail engine. ALL my opinion and not necessarily fact!
45 Tonner pics:
https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/ ... tion=click
45 Tonner pics:
https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/ ... tion=click
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42164
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: Better hurry.........
De Bruin wrote:Seriously though I think this is actually an interesting model and if I saw it on a sales table at show (remember those?) at around half the listed price plus shipping here, it would be going home with me. Thanks for posting this.
Yes, it has a certain charm as a nice bit at the intersection of model RR'ing and folk art. Think that parts of the trucks are early IMP salvage; too bad that the motor is missing; maybe rested laterally in the truck with a worm to each axle; seen a few such drives recently.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.
Re: Better hurry.........
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Yes, it has a certain charm as a nice bit at the intersection of model RR'ing and folk art. Think that parts of the trucks are early IMP salvage; too bad that the motor is missing; maybe rested laterally in the truck with a worm to each axle; seen a few such drives recently.
We need some of the Lionel buffs (if it is Lionel) to show us pics of one that hasn't been mangled. That stamped (or however they did it) lettering is interesting.
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42164
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: Better hurry.........
E7 wrote:Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Yes, it has a certain charm as a nice bit at the intersection of model RR'ing and folk art. Think that parts of the trucks are early IMP salvage; too bad that the motor is missing; maybe rested laterally in the truck with a worm to each axle; seen a few such drives recently.
We need some of the Lionel buffs (if it is Lionel) to show us pics of one that hasn't been mangled. That stamped (or however they did it) lettering is interesting.
When did Lionel make brass diesels?
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.
Re: Better hurry.........
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:When did Lionel make brass diesels?
Not to be flip, but I have no idea what Lionel made. My guess would be it's an old 2 rail piece, emphasis on guess. If you had one of the die hard Lionel collectors confirm or deny that would narrow things down quite a bit. The lettering is the only thing I find interesting.
-
Chris Webster
- Posts: 944
- Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 8:25 pm
Re: Better hurry.........
De Bruin wrote:ISeriously though I think this is actually an interesting model and if I saw it on a sales table at show (remember those?) at around half the listed price plus shipping here, it would be going home with me. Thanks for posting this.
It looks like a early model of a GE 47 tonner. Two of the narrow gauge Oahu Railway & Land Co. units have ended up on the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic:
DRGW.net - Photo of C&TS #19
They are really neat diesels. Their couplers are mounted to the trucks and swing out on curves, just like a lot of toys. My recollection is that the two trucks are actually connected with a pin under the cab.
Re: Better hurry.........
I'll buy into the 47 tonner, it looks correct.
Re: Better hurry.........
E7 wrote:I'll buy into the 47 tonner, it looks correct.
OK but who made the model?
Lionel is pretty doubtful.
roger
I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH
I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH
-
Jay Criswell
- Posts: 2003
- Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:38 pm
Re: Better hurry.........
I think it's early Post War Japanese. During the occupation the early model builder's primary customers were US Armed Forces. Many models built and brought home.
Having US Army embossed along the cab might have been a good sales gimmick. Shoot, we might have had some of the prototypes in service over there during the rebuilding.
All just speculation but it fits with the documentation I've read in the past.
Jay
Having US Army embossed along the cab might have been a good sales gimmick. Shoot, we might have had some of the prototypes in service over there during the rebuilding.
All just speculation but it fits with the documentation I've read in the past.
Jay
Re: Better hurry.........
Jay Criswell wrote:I think it's early Post War Japanese. During the occupation the early model builder's primary customers were US Armed Forces. Many models built and brought home.
Having US Army embossed along the cab might have been a good sales gimmick. Shoot, we might have had some of the prototypes in service over there during the rebuilding.
All just speculation but it fits with the documentation I've read in the past.
Jay
M<akes sense to me.
roger
I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH
I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH
Re: Better hurry.........
rogruth wrote:E7 wrote:I'll buy into the 47 tonner, it looks correct.
OK but who made the model?
Lionel is pretty doubtful.
Billy Rubin
Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 50 guests
