The price of paint

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42164
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

The price of paint

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:28 pm

Floquil Railroad Colors Model Paint By Testors - 1 Ounce - Platinum Mist :shock:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Floquil-Railro ... true&rt=nc

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... _sacat=220

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FLOQUIL-RAILRO ... SwPzZfKH~d

Maybe I should start clearing out my stocks of black paint! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
robert.
Posts: 6010
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:24 am

Re: The price of paint

Postby robert. » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:10 pm

There is a guy in the Q-mart. He has tubs of paint. maybe 500 bottles. $1.00 each. Some rock hard others not. Big bottles and little bottle $1.00. I bought a lot of good paint from him. A few clunkers. He wont let you open them to check if the paint is good. May 6 2020 Testors said " we are dumping most of our paint brands"
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

bob turner
Posts: 13647
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: The price of paint

Postby bob turner » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:38 pm

Paint has been strange. It is all re-formulated, has limited shelf life, doesn't match old colors, and is hideously expensive.

Painted my Piper Cub "Ford Commercial Truck Yellow" Ditzler Delstar (acrylic enamel) in 1981. Six bucks a gallon. Now, a gallon of acrylic enamel is $600, and difficult to get in Calif. cannot get it to match - I have to mix my own.

User avatar
robert.
Posts: 6010
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:24 am

Re: The price of paint

Postby robert. » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:09 pm

$600 bucks a gallon :mrgreen: that's crazy. I have 2 gallons of 69 Camaro rally green. Made by Dupont. It still sloshes around in the cans. I may try to sell it before Christmas. Is that just a California thing @ $600 a gallon? I painted a Skoda with my Father-in-law. Over in Slovakia. When he opened up the can of paint. I was floored by the smell. The still sell noxious smelling paint over there.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

User avatar
rogruth
Posts: 24452
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:32 pm
Location: pembroke,ga

Re: The price of paint

Postby rogruth » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:28 pm

What is the cause for these paint prices?
I understand scarcity but why are they scarce?
Reformulated for environmental reasons?
Just to make more money?
Is there any explanation other than the money factor?
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42164
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: The price of paint

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:06 am

rogruth wrote:What is the cause for these paint prices?


The mystique of Floquil?

I understand scarcity but why are they scarce?


Production closed several years ago and folks thought the world was going to end

Reformulated for environmental reasons?
Just to make more money?


No; the water based Polly Scale was shut down, too
Not making enough money - not enough profit margin.

Is there any explanation other than the money factor?


It might appear that they could have at least doubled the price and sales would have continued. There is the argument that shipping and regulations were involved; shipping is easily done by UPS and invoking regulations is just the usual knee-jerk excuse...

All about the Benjamins
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
rogruth
Posts: 24452
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:32 pm
Location: pembroke,ga

Re: The price of paint

Postby rogruth » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:27 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
rogruth wrote:What is the cause for these paint prices?


The mystique of Floquil?

I understand scarcity but why are they scarce?


Production closed several years ago and folks thought the world was going to end

Reformulated for environmental reasons?
Just to make more money?


No; the water based Polly Scale was shut down, too
Not making enough money - not enough profit margin.

Is there any explanation other than the money factor?


It might appear that they could have at least doubled the price and sales would have continued. There is the argument that shipping and regulations were involved; shipping is easily done by UPS and invoking regulations is just the usual knee-jerk excuse...

All about the Benjamins

I understand I shouldn't be doing this but I don't care! THANK YOU!
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42164
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: The price of paint

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:09 am

rogruth wrote:I understand I shouldn't be doing this but I don't care! THANK YOU!


Image
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
RDSRR
Posts: 931
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:06 pm

Re: The price of paint

Postby RDSRR » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:29 am

And then there is https://www.narrowgaugemodeling.com/floquil-paint/ selling for much better prices if you really want them.
Regards,

Dan

The Model Railroad Resource LLC
407 East Chippewa St - Dwight, IL 60420
Voice 815.584.1577 / FAX 800.783.0127
daniel@modelrailroadresource.com / http://modelrailroadresource.com
http://oscaleresource.com/ and http://sscaleresource.com/

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42164
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: The price of paint

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:58 am

RDSRR wrote:And then there is https://www.narrowgaugemodeling.com/floquil-paint/ selling for much better prices if you really want them.


Yes, but pretty limited selection and they are substituting True Color paints in for some of the Floquil paints....like Engine Black, :wink: :wink:
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
rogruth
Posts: 24452
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:32 pm
Location: pembroke,ga

Re: The price of paint

Postby rogruth » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:10 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
RDSRR wrote:And then there is https://www.narrowgaugemodeling.com/floquil-paint/ selling for much better prices if you really want them.


Yes, but pretty limited selection and they are substituting True Color paints in for some of the Floquil paints....like Engine Black, :wink: :wink:

Should I assume they are not the same? Shade? Consistency? Texture? Etc.?
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42164
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: The price of paint

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:44 pm

rogruth wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
RDSRR wrote:And then there is https://www.narrowgaugemodeling.com/floquil-paint/ selling for much better prices if you really want them.


Yes, but pretty limited selection and they are substituting True Color paints in for some of the Floquil paints....like Engine Black, :wink: :wink:

Should I assume they are not the same? Shade? Consistency? Texture? Etc.?


They may or not match color shade and will not match in the other categories. I have inquired of True Color regarding color matching of some Floquil colors w/o getting any replies. Can't waste my time chasing people that don't need customers.........
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42164
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: The price of paint

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:44 am

If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
rogruth
Posts: 24452
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:32 pm
Location: pembroke,ga

Re: The price of paint

Postby rogruth » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:53 am

Is that paint that much better/different than other paint to think it is worth that much?
Is there no suitable substitute?
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42164
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: The price of paint

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:58 am

rogruth wrote:Is that paint that much better/different than other paint to think it is worth that much?
Is there no suitable substitute?


Other than being out of production now for several years, it's all in the eyes and thoughts of the speculator marketplace.

Personally, a rattle can of flay black and bit of weathering powers and I'll save better than $95, :wink:
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.


Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 54 guests