NJ Custom Brass Locomotive List
NJ Custom Brass Locomotive List
This is a list of Custom Brass Locomotives compiled with the help of several MTJ members.
NJ CUSTOM BRASS LOCOMOTIVES
Steam
C&O H-4...2-6-6-2
GN L-1...2-6-6-2
Little River 2-4-4-2
NP Z1 2-6-6-2
NYC NE2...2-6-6-2
PRR T1 Buick front
PRR T1 Plain front
Electric
GN Y-1
Milwaukee Road Bipolar
MP-54
PRR B1 Rats (2)
PRR GG1
Diesel
ALCO RS-1
ALCO RS-3
ALCO S-1
ALCO S-2
ALCO FA-1 + B
BALDWIN RF-16 4 axle A+B shark nose
BALDWIN BP-20 6 axle shark nose
EMD E8
EMD GP-30
GE 44 Tonner
If you spot something that doesn't appear to be correct use a PM or append at the bottom, though I seldumb make misteaks! :<)
IF YOU ARE UNCERTAIN ABOUT THE ACCURACY OF INFORMATION, BETTER TO HAVE NO INFO THAN INCORRECT.
NJ CUSTOM BRASS LOCOMOTIVES
Steam
C&O H-4...2-6-6-2
GN L-1...2-6-6-2
Little River 2-4-4-2
NP Z1 2-6-6-2
NYC NE2...2-6-6-2
PRR T1 Buick front
PRR T1 Plain front
Electric
GN Y-1
Milwaukee Road Bipolar
MP-54
PRR B1 Rats (2)
PRR GG1
Diesel
ALCO RS-1
ALCO RS-3
ALCO S-1
ALCO S-2
ALCO FA-1 + B
BALDWIN RF-16 4 axle A+B shark nose
BALDWIN BP-20 6 axle shark nose
EMD E8
EMD GP-30
GE 44 Tonner
If you spot something that doesn't appear to be correct use a PM or append at the bottom, though I seldumb make misteaks! :<)
IF YOU ARE UNCERTAIN ABOUT THE ACCURACY OF INFORMATION, BETTER TO HAVE NO INFO THAN INCORRECT.
Last edited by E7 on Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:33 am, edited 7 times in total.
Re: NJ Custom Brass Locomotive List
This list sort of got lost in the shuffle, so I dug it out and re-posted. Any additions you are certain of, post them and I will add to the list!
Rich
Rich
- R.K. Maroon
- Posts: 3136
- Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:20 pm
Re: NJ Custom Brass Locomotive List
Thanks for posting. I was not aware that they offered than many.
The list by itself just begs for photos as proof of the model's existence. I have only one:

This came off eBay maybe twelve years ago as the second O-scale model I ever bought. The seller was in Switzerland. I don't know if he did the custom paint. The big knock on these are the drives. It's double motored, but four of the drivers are idlers, and they are not known as good pullers. This one has a custom drive with CLW gearboxes on all drivers.
I have seen at least two dozen of the Bi-polars, but the only other Custom Brass locomotive that I have seen (as best I can recall) is the GN Y-1. The example I have seen was unpainted and rotting in the original box, unused. Not uncommon but a shame nonetheless.
Jim
The list by itself just begs for photos as proof of the model's existence. I have only one:
This came off eBay maybe twelve years ago as the second O-scale model I ever bought. The seller was in Switzerland. I don't know if he did the custom paint. The big knock on these are the drives. It's double motored, but four of the drivers are idlers, and they are not known as good pullers. This one has a custom drive with CLW gearboxes on all drivers.
I have seen at least two dozen of the Bi-polars, but the only other Custom Brass locomotive that I have seen (as best I can recall) is the GN Y-1. The example I have seen was unpainted and rotting in the original box, unused. Not uncommon but a shame nonetheless.
Jim
The link below any photo will display the image full size
Re: NJ Custom Brass Locomotive List
E7 wrote:This list sort of got lost in the shuffle, so I dug it out and re-posted. Any additions you are certain of, post them and I will add to the list!
Rich
NP Z1 2-6-6-2
Regards,
Dan
The Model Railroad Resource LLC
407 East Chippewa St - Dwight, IL 60420
Voice 815.584.1577 / FAX 800.783.0127
daniel@modelrailroadresource.com / http://modelrailroadresource.com
http://oscaleresource.com/ and http://sscaleresource.com/
Dan
The Model Railroad Resource LLC
407 East Chippewa St - Dwight, IL 60420
Voice 815.584.1577 / FAX 800.783.0127
daniel@modelrailroadresource.com / http://modelrailroadresource.com
http://oscaleresource.com/ and http://sscaleresource.com/
Re: NJ Custom Brass Locomotive List
Think they did the Baldwin Centipede and MP-54's too.
I recall the Centipede was an electrical puzzle, prone to shorting between carbody and chassis etc. producing spectacular circular arcs traveling the length of the car body from nose to tail.
I recall the Centipede was an electrical puzzle, prone to shorting between carbody and chassis etc. producing spectacular circular arcs traveling the length of the car body from nose to tail.
Political Consultant- Tap into the hidden powers of your public office, insure your future is jail free, well funded. Visit shock and awe upon your adversaries, dominate the media, thrill your followers. contact morbo@happydaysrhereagain.com
-
J. S. Bach
- Posts: 5820
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 9:30 pm
Re: NJ Custom Brass Locomotive List
De Bruin wrote:Think they did MP-54's too.
They did the MP-54, MPB-54, and the BM-62.
Re: NJ Custom Brass Locomotive List
Thanks I'd forgotten the other two. Do you recall if any of the MP-54's or those variants they made came factory powered?
Political Consultant- Tap into the hidden powers of your public office, insure your future is jail free, well funded. Visit shock and awe upon your adversaries, dominate the media, thrill your followers. contact morbo@happydaysrhereagain.com
-
J. S. Bach
- Posts: 5820
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 9:30 pm
Re: NJ Custom Brass Locomotive List
De Bruin wrote:Thanks I'd forgotten the other two. Do you recall if any of the MP-54's or those variants they made came factory powered?
The MP-54s were sold as a motor-trailer set. I have only seen one each of the MPB and the BM. I have the only BM that I have seen and a friend has the the only MPB that I have seen. Both are unpainted and still in their boxes. They are powered, the power assembly looks just like the one in the MP so I suspect that they were powered by the factory. I talked to either N or J of Custom Brass at a Florida mrr club meeting and asked about the MP production figures, he said one hundred MPs (sets or individual cars he did not specify) and fifty MPBs. I was unaware of the BMs until I saw the one on ebay that I got.
For those reading this and are unfamiliar with these PRR electric MU cars:
MP - coach
MPB - combine
BM - baggage
There was an MPT-54 (or maybe MP-54T) control trailer; it looked just like the MP-54 but without a pan, but I do not know if NJCB did those.
I wonder why the baggage was classed BM instead of MB, something that we will never know, I guess.
-
herronpeter
- Posts: 748
- Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:13 pm
- Location: Clifton Park, NY
Re: NJ Custom Brass Locomotive List
You forgot the Little River 2-4-4-2 In the steam category. My favorite locomotive!
https://youtu.be/KuFtif8UL_w
Peter
https://youtu.be/KuFtif8UL_w
Peter
Re: NJ Custom Brass Locomotive List
Thanks all! This list is limited to Powered units!
Maybe we can attempt one for cars/cabooses later.....not that you can't mention them here. No problem with that!
Thanks again,
Rich
Maybe we can attempt one for cars/cabooses later.....not that you can't mention them here. No problem with that!
Thanks again,
Rich
-
herronpeter
- Posts: 748
- Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:13 pm
- Location: Clifton Park, NY
Re: NJ Custom Brass Locomotive List
Ahh, last I checked that 2-4-4-2 was powered! Not sure what you’re getting at here. LOL
Peter
Peter
Re: NJ Custom Brass Locomotive List
herronpeter wrote:Ahh, last I checked that 2-4-4-2 was powered! Not sure what you’re getting at here. LOL
Peter
Peter, I was referring to some cars mentioned in previous posts. I think cars: freight, passenger, MOW, whatever deserve their own list.
If anyone would like to start a "car" list have at it! Further if anyone would like to take over THIS one say the word. I'm sure there are those out there that can do better than I! As ol' Dirty Harry said: "A man has to know his limitations!"
All this thing is meant to be is a "what's out there" for CB. They did a few things no one else did. If it wasn't such a monumental task, it would be nice to have a listing for all brass (a NEW "Brown Book") and maybe one for Plastic, but I'm guessing some of that information was in the heads of folks that are no longer with us.
Rich
-
herronpeter
- Posts: 748
- Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:13 pm
- Location: Clifton Park, NY
Re: NJ Custom Brass Locomotive List
Got it. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen other NJCB steam models but for the life of me cannot remember any details right now! Was AJIN the only builder?
Peter
Peter
Re: NJ Custom Brass Locomotive List
Peter, To the best of my knowledge (which is sketchy) Ajin was OMI. Samhongsa was the BIG dog, and they would be my guess, emphasis on guess. They worked for a lot of importers.
Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 88 guests
