This is the Sunset 3rd Rail gearbox. Obviously unpainted. Note the 2mm screw in the center of the cover. I assume it's meant for adding lubricant. Look closely at the photo of the model in question. I can make out the same screw.
Jay
SP 2-6-0
-
Jay Criswell
- Posts: 2003
- Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:38 pm
Re: SP 2-6-0
- Attachments
-
- 2020-05-23 003.JPG (1.66 MiB) Viewed 3901 times
-
- 2020-05-23 001.JPG (1.6 MiB) Viewed 3901 times
- ScaleCraft
- Posts: 6693
- Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm
Re: SP 2-6-0
I had to save the photo, then crop, then lighten and midrange edit, then crop again, then zoom....and maybe I can see that lube port screw. Until I got to that point, it was a small fleck of white, maybe piece of styrofoam, maybe reflection.
So are those boxes any good?
So are those boxes any good?
Dave....gone by invitation
-
Jay Criswell
- Posts: 2003
- Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:38 pm
Re: SP 2-6-0
Dave,
Actually, in my opinion, very good. Die cast metal case, steel worm, bronze worm gear, ball bearings on the input and brass, or maybe bronze, for the axle.
The ones I obtained had an issue with the cases being slightly undersized for the input bearings. A little time spent tweaking them and they work great. Obviously the factory couldn't spend the time so they modified the die to enlarge the area a few thou.
Jay
Actually, in my opinion, very good. Die cast metal case, steel worm, bronze worm gear, ball bearings on the input and brass, or maybe bronze, for the axle.
The ones I obtained had an issue with the cases being slightly undersized for the input bearings. A little time spent tweaking them and they work great. Obviously the factory couldn't spend the time so they modified the die to enlarge the area a few thou.
Jay
Re: SP 2-6-0
I finally returned to my trains a bit ago and took out one of my Sunset E8's for a spin. Turns out it shorts on curves and I need insulate one of the wheels from the truck. Looks like one of the sideframes may have been drilled to deep and the wheels moves too far. I believe Scott will send me an insulated washer to accomplish the fix.
In any case, here's a shot of what the front truck looks like. Similar to what Jay shows, but missing one screw.
Since we like thread drift here, I figure I'd verify that for lubrication purposes, all I need to:
1. Grease the gearbox. (Looking at using Red and Tacky.)
2. Oil where the axle hits the trucksideframe/journal. (I use Labelle's medium, plastic-compatible oil.)
3. Use No-Ox-Id electrical contact grease on back of wheels/wipers (which I've done already done, and can be seen in the photo)

In any case, here's a shot of what the front truck looks like. Similar to what Jay shows, but missing one screw.
Since we like thread drift here, I figure I'd verify that for lubrication purposes, all I need to:
1. Grease the gearbox. (Looking at using Red and Tacky.)
2. Oil where the axle hits the trucksideframe/journal. (I use Labelle's medium, plastic-compatible oil.)
3. Use No-Ox-Id electrical contact grease on back of wheels/wipers (which I've done already done, and can be seen in the photo)
Focus: 2R O-Scale, SOU/SCL 1967-1972
Blog: http://davejfr0.blogspot.com/
Blog: http://davejfr0.blogspot.com/
- ScaleCraft
- Posts: 6693
- Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm
Re: SP 2-6-0
If you think the journal hole is too deep, drop a small ball bearing in the journal.
Dave....gone by invitation
Re: SP 2-6-0
There should already be one in there as these were made after Scott upgraded to ball bearings in the journals. I don't have any bearings lying around, but if Scott is gonna supply the washer, I'll just give that a chance. It only does it on my 36" radius curves, which it barely handles, so I'm probably running it on tighter curves than most.
I happened to run it in the dark and will need to paint the inside of the nose black...the headlights shine through the plastic, lol. Add it to the list of projects for these units.
Have too much else to do, so just want to get this guy lubed properly and running as is. Glad to have a job but WFH has turned into a longer work day for me, plus house and car maintenance again. What fun.
I happened to run it in the dark and will need to paint the inside of the nose black...the headlights shine through the plastic, lol. Add it to the list of projects for these units.
Have too much else to do, so just want to get this guy lubed properly and running as is. Glad to have a job but WFH has turned into a longer work day for me, plus house and car maintenance again. What fun.
Focus: 2R O-Scale, SOU/SCL 1967-1972
Blog: http://davejfr0.blogspot.com/
Blog: http://davejfr0.blogspot.com/
-
bob turner
- Posts: 13647
- Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm
Re: SP 2-6-0
No - paint it silver, or some other color with metal flakes. Then black over that, if that’s the color you want. Old airplane trick to avoid UV damage.
-
Jay Criswell
- Posts: 2003
- Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:38 pm
Re: SP 2-6-0
Though the gearbox Scott's builder uses in the diesels looks the same it is, in fact, different, Smaller and not the same ratio.
Jay
Jay
Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 111 guests