Trouble in River City?????

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42162
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: Trouble in River City?????

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:46 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:Of course you know what drivers in states along the borders of Massachusetts call drivers from Massachusetts?


I most assiduously avoid driving in that area of the country; I already have DC and the surrounding Beltway, and one of hte top 5 worse stretches of road - Rt95 between DC and Fredericksburg to contend with, and then again today's commute to my office on campus nearly getting sideswiped.....it's a wonder that I drive anywhere at all anymore. I may yet retire to the farm where the fastest moving vehicle is my Model-F cub.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
ScaleCraft
Posts: 6693
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Trouble in River City?????

Postby ScaleCraft » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:14 pm

Last time I was on I-95 there was this interesting HUGE sign on the side of the freeway southbound as you crossed into North Carolina. I have a friend in NC who denied the existence of such a sign....until I sent him a photo.

NEVER saw any sign like that on the Worst Coast or even the NE.
Dave....gone by invitation

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42162
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: Trouble in River City?????

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:32 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:Last time I was on I-95 there was this interesting HUGE sign on the side of the freeway southbound as you crossed into North Carolina. I have a friend in NC who denied the existence of such a sign....until I sent him a photo.

NEVER saw any sign like that on the Worst Coast or even the NE.


Huh? I've driven that stretch of road many times - no idea what you are talking about.... :roll:
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
robert.
Posts: 6010
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:24 am

Re: Trouble in River City?????

Postby robert. » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:32 pm

south of the border signs?
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

User avatar
ScaleCraft
Posts: 6693
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Trouble in River City?????

Postby ScaleCraft » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:17 pm

https://www.popehat.com/wp-content/uplo ... n-Sign.jpg

https://www.popehat.com/2012/05/07/spot ... ound-1982/


And I remember that sign. Last time I saw it was 1972 or so.
Imagine, coming from Worst Coast, and never seeing anything like that...and there it was.
Dave....gone by invitation

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42162
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: Trouble in River City?????

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:36 pm

Pretty sure it's been gone a while - don't recall ever seeing it.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

J. S. Bach
Posts: 5820
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 9:30 pm

Re: Trouble in River City?????

Postby J. S. Bach » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:01 pm

ScaleCraft wrote: ...snip... I still have the black plates and registration for the 1950 Ford I still own and bought over 50 years ago. ...snip...

My first car was registered in CA when I was stationed at NAS Lemoore; I still have the plates YTR 846. A 1963 Dodge 330 slant-six/auto with no other frills, Dad was thrifty.

User avatar
ScaleCraft
Posts: 6693
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Trouble in River City?????

Postby ScaleCraft » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:15 pm

J. S. Bach wrote:
ScaleCraft wrote: ...snip... I still have the black plates and registration for the 1950 Ford I still own and bought over 50 years ago. ...snip...

My first car was registered in CA when I was stationed at NAS Lemoore; I still have the plates YTR 846. A 1963 Dodge 330 slant-six/auto with no other frills, Dad was thrifty.

That's why I have Fords. 70 years later, turn the key, hit the button, and off ya go.

THE reason I still have the plates (and probably you, also) is that South Carolina did not confiscate your old plates when you licensed there. Charleston, kept my black plates (BSE-838) .
Dave....gone by invitation

J. S. Bach
Posts: 5820
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 9:30 pm

Re: Trouble in River City?????

Postby J. S. Bach » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:47 pm

ScaleCraft wrote: ...snip... THE reason I still have the plates (and probably you, also) is that South Carolina did not confiscate your old plates when you licensed there. Charleston, kept my black plates (BSE-838) .

When I transferred from NAS Lemoore CA to NAS Albany GA, I had the car re-registered in MD (my home of record) I kept the plates; one is sitting by me as I type this. Here is a photo of it along with a much later MD tag:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=539239913374350&set=a.103879580243721&type=3&theater

E7
Posts: 8397
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 am

Re: Trouble in River City?????

Postby E7 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:35 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
bob turner wrote:I figure if they accept Christian prayer groups they should accept confessions of mental disabilities.


They do. Just look in the York threads and you'll find all sorts of metal illness on display.


But no plastic illness?


They're called Plasdicks, aka wannabe Brassholes. :mrgreen:

User avatar
rogruth
Posts: 24452
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:32 pm
Location: pembroke,ga

Re: Trouble in River City?????

Postby rogruth » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:45 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:https://www.popehat.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Johnston-County-NC-Ku-Klux-Klan-Sign.jpg

https://www.popehat.com/2012/05/07/spot ... ound-1982/


And I remember that sign. Last time I saw it was 1972 or so.
Imagine, coming from Worst Coast, and never seeing anything like that...and there it was.

I saw that sign. It was after 1975 and I was on a trip to New York state. The next time I was through there it was gone.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH


Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 97 guests