Preliminary search - Icken 2-8-0
-
bob turner
- Posts: 13647
- Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm
Preliminary search - Icken 2-8-0
Many years ago we were doing work for Vince Waterman. There are two fragments that apparently were not claimed at Vince's demise. I am in the process of capturing them and seeking their rightful owner.
The first one is a mechanism for a Consolidation. Pretty sure it is Icken - it has that strange gear train involving bevel gears to make the 90 degree rotation translation. It is uninsulated - our job was to 2-rail it, but somehow the order was not placed or paid for.
Somewhere there is an Icken boiler and tender body out there. Since this community is incredibly small, asking here seems like a good initial step.
Can anybody here help?
Do not yet know what the second one is. I do know that shipping these things costs way more than a Happy Meal, even with wine!
The first one is a mechanism for a Consolidation. Pretty sure it is Icken - it has that strange gear train involving bevel gears to make the 90 degree rotation translation. It is uninsulated - our job was to 2-rail it, but somehow the order was not placed or paid for.
Somewhere there is an Icken boiler and tender body out there. Since this community is incredibly small, asking here seems like a good initial step.
Can anybody here help?
Do not yet know what the second one is. I do know that shipping these things costs way more than a Happy Meal, even with wine!
Re: Preliminary search - Icken 2-8-0
Vince died somewhere circa 2005/2006......why are you rushing into things?
Your best bet would be someone associated with the old Eastern O Scalers shows, or possibly Rich Yoder of RY models. You might do better asking over on NK.
Your best bet would be someone associated with the old Eastern O Scalers shows, or possibly Rich Yoder of RY models. You might do better asking over on NK.
-
bob turner
- Posts: 13647
- Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm
Re: Preliminary search - Icken 2-8-0
NK is the next step. This is a quiet first attempt. My brother was the machinist - I taught him how to make driver tires and insulate; he and Vince took it from there. Don't know why it took so long to begin the search. I just received the Icken yesterday. Hardly seems worth the shipping charge. One more coming, when he finds it. No idea what it is, but probably again a separated mechanism, Original owners might not even be with us.
Re: Preliminary search - Icken 2-8-0
bob turner wrote:NK is the next step. Original owners might not even be with us.
An excellent chance of that, I do believe. Vince's wife passed not long after him. He sold his business before he died. Not sure if those folks are still attending shows. Guy wore the conductor? hat similar to ol' Vince. Just for S&G's did a Google search and found"
https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/tra ... ties-parts
That was a 2015 post
-
Carey Williams
- Posts: 688
- Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:10 pm
Re: Preliminary search - Icken 2-8-0
Hello Bob ....
Is this the drive of which you speak ???
Quite early ....Icken penned an article covering the drive in Model Maker Sept 1930 .
Icken turned away from the little crown gear ..by 1933
Here are an Atlantic and Pacific both by Icken ...
I'll check with Vince's son if there are any loose "bodies"
Cheers Carey
Is this the drive of which you speak ???
Quite early ....Icken penned an article covering the drive in Model Maker Sept 1930 .
Icken turned away from the little crown gear ..by 1933
Here are an Atlantic and Pacific both by Icken ...
I'll check with Vince's son if there are any loose "bodies"
Cheers Carey
-
bob turner
- Posts: 13647
- Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm
Re: Preliminary search - Icken 2-8-0
That's the one.
I am waiting for the second mechanism to initiate a search for either the rightful owners or current owners. I have no idea what to expect - I was surprised to see the Icken.
I am waiting for the second mechanism to initiate a search for either the rightful owners or current owners. I have no idea what to expect - I was surprised to see the Icken.
Re: Preliminary search - Icken 2-8-0
Looks like a real collector's item to me. I think I see the trash collector coming now! 
- ScaleCraft
- Posts: 6693
- Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm
Re: Preliminary search - Icken 2-8-0
Carey Williams wrote:Hello Bob ....
Is this the drive of which you speak ???
Quite early ....Icken penned an article covering the drive in Model Maker Sept 1930 .
Icken turned away from the little crown gear ..by 1933
Here are an Atlantic and Pacific both by Icken ...
I'll check with Vince's son if there are any loose "bodies"
Cheers Carey
Experience. That big old round head screw for the gear on the motor shaft needs to be changed out for a flush setscrew.
The mass of that round head will make it A) noisy and B) vibrate like a Model T at 40 MPH.
Dave....gone by invitation
-
Carey Williams
- Posts: 688
- Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:10 pm
Re: Preliminary search - Icken 2-8-0
Thank you for the advice about the screw ....here is a video link to see two K4's with the Icken drive in motion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8ONqT9Fk9k
Model T's vibrate?
Cheers Carey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8ONqT9Fk9k
Model T's vibrate?
Cheers Carey
-
bob turner
- Posts: 13647
- Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm
Re: Preliminary search - Icken 2-8-0
Still looking - second mechanism came in - an H10. This one is strange - it was shipped to my brother in 2008 with orders to 2-rail it. Neither my brother nor its owner took the time to correspond further. Mike didn't send a bill, and the owner did not inquire. It sat on the shelf for 11 years. Sometimes things happen - owner croaks, etc., but this one is weird.
Time to post on NK - they still deserve that title - threads are being frozen because of thread drift. Admittedly, there is less censorship than before, although I think they still prune posts.
Time to post on NK - they still deserve that title - threads are being frozen because of thread drift. Admittedly, there is less censorship than before, although I think they still prune posts.
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42162
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: Preliminary search - Icken 2-8-0
bob turner wrote:threads are being frozen because of thread drift.
Had not noticed...
Admittedly, there is less censorship than before, although I think they still prune posts.
They do, no doubt about it.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.
- rex desilets
- Posts: 1786
- Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:18 pm
Re: Preliminary search - Icken 2-8-0
Given the unhinged nature of some posters over there, some pruning is well-advised.
Contrasted, of course, with the sweet reason etc here.
Contrasted, of course, with the sweet reason etc here.
“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” – John Adams
-
bob turner
- Posts: 13647
- Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm
Re: Preliminary search - Icken 2-8-0
I think it is fun to watch. Right now they have gone into super-obsessive mode over some MTH F3s. I take my models semi-seriously, but they are fretting over inaccurate lifting rings.
Re: Preliminary search - Icken 2-8-0
bob turner wrote:I think it is fun to watch. Right now they have gone into super-obsessive mode over some MTH F3s. I take my models semi-seriously, but they are fretting over inaccurate lifting rings.
Why not just change/fix them? Oh yeah. They paid money and the model should be perfect.
roger
I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH
I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH
- big bad jim
- Posts: 443
- Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:38 pm
Re: Preliminary search - Icken 2-8-0
Sent you an email on these. History suggests you may never see it. But maybe look around for it.
Jim
Jim
Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 55 guests