Q #1: Regarding the Megow/Scale Model Rys NYC 2-8-0: They are said to have two different boilers -- The first by Jack Ferris and the second by Megow. Have you one of these model? Do they run well? And do both have the same type drive mechanism?
A: As best I can tell, Megow never moved the SMR factory from Huntington, Indiana, so I like to think of all models produced in Huntington as SMRs (not Megows). Megow's advertisements used the phrase "Scale Model Railways, a Megow Plant" to acknowledge SMR. However, I do use the term "Megow/SMR" to refer to models that only appeared in Megow ads and catalogs (that is, that never appeared before the acquisition of SMR by Megow, which occurred in early 1940 (again, as best I can tell). I mention this because I have found no evidence that SMR offered an NYC 2-8-0 before the acquisition by Megow. Further, I have never seen one of these that did not have the cast boiler. That doesn't mean that SMR didn't build them, or they aren't out there, but only that I haven't seen any evidence. I guess there is also the possibility that Jack Ferris himself built them himself after selling SMR, but again I have seen no evidence of this.
I was very fortunate to have had the chance a few years back to acquire a very nice example of the Megow/SMR version with the cast boiler:

I think this may actually be the model shown in the factory ads and catalogs. It is hand lettered and the lettering matches very closely:

To be continued...
Jim




