I didn't know that General Models..........

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
herronpeter
Posts: 748
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:13 pm
Location: Clifton Park, NY

I didn't know that General Models..........

Postby herronpeter » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:28 pm

............made steam engines!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRASS-O-SCALE- ... 5486&rt=nc

But then it is eBay.................................

Peter

bob turner
Posts: 13647
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: I didn't know that General Models..........

Postby bob turner » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:44 pm

Really? They are among the most common doorstops. The Varney Ten-Wheeler was the progenitur, followed by the similar 4-4-0, and then the Atlantic, Pacific, Mountain, and very strange 2-6-6-4. In later years, when it was All Nation, they had a lead-boilered Prairie, or Mogul, or something. The entire line became Babbitt.

Madison, Ala, is close to where I learned to fly. Had no idea O Scale existed in that area. This seller might be a tad optimistic!

User avatar
ScaleCraft
Posts: 6693
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: I didn't know that General Models..........

Postby ScaleCraft » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:00 pm

I have one of those...fully assembled, never run on track, needs to be painted.
Field wound motor, wires never soldered to anything.
345 plus shipping, huh? Geez, improve my retirement a bunch here.
Dave....gone by invitation

bob turner
Posts: 13647
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: I didn't know that General Models..........

Postby bob turner » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:36 pm

Mine have Lobaugh drivers. Rich at Chicagoland sold me one for $35.

User avatar
R.K. Maroon
Posts: 3136
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: I didn't know that General Models..........

Postby R.K. Maroon » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:08 pm

Bob is correct on the history with one exception. The 4-4-0 was introduced by All Nation a few years after they acquired GMC out of bankruptcy. I don't have a scan of the A/N catalog that shows that nor a scan of the Mountain as it was introduced by GMC, but I do have these scans of the others from a 1948 GMC catalog.

GMC Pacific and (Varney) Ten-Wheeler.JPG
GMC Pacific and (Varney) Ten-Wheeler.JPG (84.1 KiB) Viewed 3008 times


GMC Atlantic.JPG
GMC Atlantic.JPG (74.14 KiB) Viewed 3008 times


Jim
The link below any photo will display the image full size


Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 88 guests