One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
E7
Posts: 8397
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 am

One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)

Postby E7 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:36 pm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Henry-Pearce-C ... SwmHBd-nh6

I likely mentioned this before, but there was a really nice article about Henry in the late O Scale News. Well worth ferreting out!
Last edited by E7 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42161
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: One of the few doorstops I find interesting!

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:42 pm

Set up as tender drive? Hmmm.......
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

LarryK
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 12:18 pm

Re: One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)

Postby LarryK » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:24 pm

Many many years ago I had Mr. Pearce machine some driver tires for me. Took about 4 years but looked great.

He was a character and a good guy.

Larry
No Comment!

bob turner
Posts: 13647
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)

Postby bob turner » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:45 pm

Well, the price is right. Usually his prices seem a little high. Looks well done. Expect $200 for a dirtbag with tender. This one is not dirtbag.

User avatar
R.K. Maroon
Posts: 3136
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)

Postby R.K. Maroon » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:57 pm

One question I would have is how does the seller know he has a Pearce and not a Hines? I only ask because the unit he is selling has blind center flanges. I have had one Hines and one Pearce go through my shop. The Hines has blind center drivers:

Image

And the Pearce had flanges on all drivers:

Image

The only other one of these that I have seen that could be positively identified was a Pearce kit, which also had flanges on all drivers.

I realize of course that it is quite likely that you could either a Hines or a Pearce in either configuration, but it raises the more general question of how do you tell one from the other. One other tell may be the motor. The Hines I know of used a Pittman DC 93. Not sure about the Pearce. Also, I know that Hines numbered there Mikados, but not sure about the 0-8-0s. The one Hines 0-8-0 I have seen does not have a number. On the Mikado, the number stamp is on the bottom of the frame near the front. I guess driver tread width might be different too, as treads tended to get narrower as time went along.

Anybody have any insights?

Jim
The link below any photo will display the image full size

User avatar
ScaleCraft
Posts: 6693
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)

Postby ScaleCraft » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:11 pm

One: Never saw a Pearce/Hines with tender drive, can see where adding a flywheel in the cab (especially that size) would mandate tender drive. NEVER liked tender drives, as the offset torque twisted tender and loco in opposing directions. Can't imagine that one was a good idea with the offset to the drive at the top of the cab.
Two: Open drive......not a gearbox....later?
Three: Somewhere I read the driver centers were different, Hines and Pearce.


Something is seriously amiss in the model. Crosshead guides canted up at the rear, does not look like centerline of axles is anywhere close to piston rod. Could be the photo.
Dave....gone by invitation

E7
Posts: 8397
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 am

Re: One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)

Postby E7 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:20 am

So how much ya bidding Dave? :mrgreen:

User avatar
ScaleCraft
Posts: 6693
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)

Postby ScaleCraft » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:33 pm

I sent a message, said I would pay shipping and no more, IF he included the (separate sale) tender.

Strange....haven't heard a word.
Dave....gone by invitation

E7
Posts: 8397
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 am

Re: One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)

Postby E7 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:54 pm

I can't imagine why!

User avatar
ScaleCraft
Posts: 6693
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)

Postby ScaleCraft » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:01 pm

What does that guy on Wheeler Dealers always say?
More Profit!
Dave....gone by invitation

bob turner
Posts: 13647
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)

Postby bob turner » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:06 pm

You kidding me? He separated the tender? I wouldn't bid on that kind of deal if it were half price!

bob turner
Posts: 13647
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)

Postby bob turner » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:39 pm

I checked. This guy has hundreds of offerings, but no tender for this locomotive. I amstill of the opinion that this 0-8-0 is a pretty good deal as-is, unlike most of his pricing. He must be successful, though, because he keeps doing it.

He has a Williams Mike that just passed $300 - I should send him mine - I could easily sell it for somewhere around $300. Nice models, but too small for my 17/64 RR.

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42161
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:34 am

bob turner wrote:This guy has hundreds of offerings, but no tender for this locomotive.


True - he knows better than to separate a tender from an engine.

I am still of the opinion that this 0-8-0 is a pretty good deal as-is, unlike most of his pricing. He must be successful, though, because he keeps doing it.


Possibly so to the right person willing to marry it to an appropriate tender tender. He's quite successful and apparently has a good following as I've yet to be able to bid high enough to get anything from him.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

bob turner
Posts: 13647
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)

Postby bob turner » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:50 am

With few exceptions, his starting prices are too high for me.

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42161
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:17 pm

bob turner wrote:With few exceptions, his starting prices are too high for me.


Not everyone starts their sales at 0.99 cents, :wink: :wink: , yet he does sell a lot of stuff so there are buyers that feel otherwise.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.


Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 66 guests