One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)
One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Henry-Pearce-C ... SwmHBd-nh6
I likely mentioned this before, but there was a really nice article about Henry in the late O Scale News. Well worth ferreting out!
I likely mentioned this before, but there was a really nice article about Henry in the late O Scale News. Well worth ferreting out!
Last edited by E7 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42162
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: One of the few doorstops I find interesting!
Set up as tender drive? Hmmm.......
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.
Re: One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)
Many many years ago I had Mr. Pearce machine some driver tires for me. Took about 4 years but looked great.
He was a character and a good guy.
Larry
He was a character and a good guy.
Larry
No Comment!
-
bob turner
- Posts: 13647
- Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm
Re: One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)
Well, the price is right. Usually his prices seem a little high. Looks well done. Expect $200 for a dirtbag with tender. This one is not dirtbag.
- R.K. Maroon
- Posts: 3136
- Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:20 pm
Re: One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)
One question I would have is how does the seller know he has a Pearce and not a Hines? I only ask because the unit he is selling has blind center flanges. I have had one Hines and one Pearce go through my shop. The Hines has blind center drivers:

And the Pearce had flanges on all drivers:

The only other one of these that I have seen that could be positively identified was a Pearce kit, which also had flanges on all drivers.
I realize of course that it is quite likely that you could either a Hines or a Pearce in either configuration, but it raises the more general question of how do you tell one from the other. One other tell may be the motor. The Hines I know of used a Pittman DC 93. Not sure about the Pearce. Also, I know that Hines numbered there Mikados, but not sure about the 0-8-0s. The one Hines 0-8-0 I have seen does not have a number. On the Mikado, the number stamp is on the bottom of the frame near the front. I guess driver tread width might be different too, as treads tended to get narrower as time went along.
Anybody have any insights?
Jim
And the Pearce had flanges on all drivers:
The only other one of these that I have seen that could be positively identified was a Pearce kit, which also had flanges on all drivers.
I realize of course that it is quite likely that you could either a Hines or a Pearce in either configuration, but it raises the more general question of how do you tell one from the other. One other tell may be the motor. The Hines I know of used a Pittman DC 93. Not sure about the Pearce. Also, I know that Hines numbered there Mikados, but not sure about the 0-8-0s. The one Hines 0-8-0 I have seen does not have a number. On the Mikado, the number stamp is on the bottom of the frame near the front. I guess driver tread width might be different too, as treads tended to get narrower as time went along.
Anybody have any insights?
Jim
The link below any photo will display the image full size
- ScaleCraft
- Posts: 6693
- Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm
Re: One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)
One: Never saw a Pearce/Hines with tender drive, can see where adding a flywheel in the cab (especially that size) would mandate tender drive. NEVER liked tender drives, as the offset torque twisted tender and loco in opposing directions. Can't imagine that one was a good idea with the offset to the drive at the top of the cab.
Two: Open drive......not a gearbox....later?
Three: Somewhere I read the driver centers were different, Hines and Pearce.
Something is seriously amiss in the model. Crosshead guides canted up at the rear, does not look like centerline of axles is anywhere close to piston rod. Could be the photo.
Two: Open drive......not a gearbox....later?
Three: Somewhere I read the driver centers were different, Hines and Pearce.
Something is seriously amiss in the model. Crosshead guides canted up at the rear, does not look like centerline of axles is anywhere close to piston rod. Could be the photo.
Dave....gone by invitation
Re: One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)
So how much ya bidding Dave? 
- ScaleCraft
- Posts: 6693
- Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm
Re: One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)
I sent a message, said I would pay shipping and no more, IF he included the (separate sale) tender.
Strange....haven't heard a word.
Strange....haven't heard a word.
Dave....gone by invitation
Re: One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)
I can't imagine why!
- ScaleCraft
- Posts: 6693
- Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm
Re: One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)
What does that guy on Wheeler Dealers always say?
More Profit!
More Profit!
Dave....gone by invitation
-
bob turner
- Posts: 13647
- Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm
Re: One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)
You kidding me? He separated the tender? I wouldn't bid on that kind of deal if it were half price!
-
bob turner
- Posts: 13647
- Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm
Re: One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)
I checked. This guy has hundreds of offerings, but no tender for this locomotive. I amstill of the opinion that this 0-8-0 is a pretty good deal as-is, unlike most of his pricing. He must be successful, though, because he keeps doing it.
He has a Williams Mike that just passed $300 - I should send him mine - I could easily sell it for somewhere around $300. Nice models, but too small for my 17/64 RR.
He has a Williams Mike that just passed $300 - I should send him mine - I could easily sell it for somewhere around $300. Nice models, but too small for my 17/64 RR.
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42162
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)
bob turner wrote:This guy has hundreds of offerings, but no tender for this locomotive.
True - he knows better than to separate a tender from an engine.
I am still of the opinion that this 0-8-0 is a pretty good deal as-is, unlike most of his pricing. He must be successful, though, because he keeps doing it.
Possibly so to the right person willing to marry it to an appropriate tender tender. He's quite successful and apparently has a good following as I've yet to be able to bid high enough to get anything from him.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.
-
bob turner
- Posts: 13647
- Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm
Re: One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)
With few exceptions, his starting prices are too high for me.
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42162
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)
bob turner wrote:With few exceptions, his starting prices are too high for me.
Not everyone starts their sales at 0.99 cents,
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.
Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 132 guests