Something not seen very much:

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
J. S. Bach
Posts: 5820
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 9:30 pm

Something not seen very much:

Postby J. S. Bach » Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:45 pm

Two-railed traditional-sized cars:
Image

Image
When I first got it, I thought that it was a Marx car (Who would ever two-rail a Marx car? [rolleyes] ) but researching with Duck Duck Go images showed me that it could have been a Lionel searchlight car. Someone put some effort in to this and I am quite happy to have it. I am going to put some kind of "freight" on the ends to cover the truck-mounting "holes" and try to find a similar flat at a show to salvage the brake wheel mounts to complete the appearance of the car. I changed out the plastic wheelsets with Intermountain ones and there was a noticeable increase in the weight; [:D] it still needs a bit more though.
Last edited by J. S. Bach on Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

E7
Posts: 8398
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 am

Re: Something not sen very much:

Postby E7 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:35 pm

J. S. Bach wrote: it still needs a bit more though.


Pull the Intermountain wheels and give it a good whack with a 5 lb. hammer.

User avatar
R.K. Maroon
Posts: 3136
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: Something not sen very much:

Postby R.K. Maroon » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:56 pm

I for one think the car is quite viable. It reminds me of a similar car done by Alexander before the war:

Image

I have never seen this model in a catalog or flyer, but it showed up in the original box. It's cast aluminum.

Covering the screw holes on the UP DP is definitely in order. I would paint the load gray or black and weather or grime up the cribbing, but that's just me.

Jim
The link below any photo will display the image full size

bob turner
Posts: 13648
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: Something not sen very much:

Postby bob turner » Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:47 am

Uh-oh - are we getting into drop-center flats? I have a 24-wheeler, and may want to play.

Seriously, my favorite is the six axle Walthers car.

steamaheadstephen59
Posts: 238
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:23 pm

Re: Something not sen very much:

Postby steamaheadstephen59 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:05 pm

Yes, the six axle form Walters and there was a standard four axle drop flat car to from Walthers. That is a very nice car Maroon, first time Ive seen the like, and I like it.

User avatar
De Bruin
Posts: 988
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: Something not sen very much:

Postby De Bruin » Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:32 pm

Yup, very nice car and very nice finish job too.
Political Consultant- Tap into the hidden powers of your public office, insure your future is jail free, well funded. Visit shock and awe upon your adversaries, dominate the media, thrill your followers. contact morbo@happydaysrhereagain.com

User avatar
ScaleCraft
Posts: 6693
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Something not sen very much:

Postby ScaleCraft » Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:59 am

https://www.tandem-associates.com/lione ... nt_top.gif

https://www.tandem-associates.com/lione ... _ident.gif

https://www.tandem-associates.com/lione ... at_car.htm

Cable reels, generators, transformers. These are die cast, plates to hold truck kingpins that are then screwed to underside. End ladders have a plate across under the ends to hold the retainer. Nice and heavy. No kingpin holes to fill.
I've gotten them as 2-rail, restored back to 3-rail.

Have a Walthers or A-N converted to 3-rail just to pixx folks off.
Dave....gone by invitation

J. S. Bach
Posts: 5820
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 9:30 pm

Re: Something not sen very much:

Postby J. S. Bach » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:43 pm

steamaheadstephen59 wrote:Yes, the six axle form Walters and there was a standard four axle drop flat car to from Walthers. That is a very nice car Maroon, first time Ive seen the like, and I like it.

I thought that the four-axle car was A-N.

Nortonville Phil
Posts: 214
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:05 pm
Location: Red Oak TX
Contact:

Re: Something not seen very much:

Postby Nortonville Phil » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:53 pm

You don't see this very often.

Lionel FM Trainmaster converted to 2 rail O. Off ebay. I'm going to clean it up and lubricate it. Then run it for fun.

Image

Image
Trinity Valley Traction Co.
Texas Midland Railroad
Homewood Shops
Red Oak, TX

My traction blog: Bluebonnet Limited
http://bluebonnetlimited.blogspot.com/

Homewood Shops YouTube:
https://youtube.com/@cug6?si=BCFnDDtUw2eVKamo

User avatar
De Bruin
Posts: 988
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: Something not seen very much:

Postby De Bruin » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:47 pm

Wow, that is unusual, I would be interested in seeing how they did the wheel conversion. For all their commonality (both the Lionel and Williams versions) you still don't see many converted to two rail. One of Lionel's better shells too in terms of scale proportions.
Cool stuff! 8^)
I have a Williams version floating around here, one of four done by the late great Arthur Hambrick for the Great Southern Lines with CLW drives, I'll dig up some the photos and post it again. I do have a soft spot for these kind of conversions.
Political Consultant- Tap into the hidden powers of your public office, insure your future is jail free, well funded. Visit shock and awe upon your adversaries, dominate the media, thrill your followers. contact morbo@happydaysrhereagain.com

User avatar
ScaleCraft
Posts: 6693
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Something not seen very much:

Postby ScaleCraft » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:50 pm

Seen some. Saw a set of F-3's 2-railed. Never allowed to flip those over and inspect. When he died, nobody knows where all his trains went.
Dave....gone by invitation


Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 75 guests