
Collectors would sniff a bit at this, as the frame has been cut to install Kadee couplers. I have decided not to worry about it one way or the other. I generally fool with couplers and trucks only if there is an operational problem with the car as it is.
One thing to note here is the presence of Faber trucks on this car. They are Lobaugh look-alikes. Merle Faber was a supplier of pressed brass parts. Lobaugh used them by the box full, but Faber also sold their parts separately, along with a line of cars. The Faber trucks have a leveling leaf spring under the bolster (visible in photo) that impinges on the rollers that are under the sideframe screws. The idea was to minimize side-to-side rocking. I have never experimented with them to see how well they actually work. But I do have operating cars with these trucks installed.





