Toss the Brass, Keep the Box!

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42161
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: Toss the Brass, Keep the Box!

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri May 11, 2018 4:08 pm

robert. wrote:With a sheet of cardboard, a hot glue gun, straight edge. x acto knive and general math skills you could roll your own box.


Yeah.......that's what I thought, too. And then I sat down and found I was great at making crappy, flimsy boxes.

The right kind of foam would be much more of a concern to me.


That was one of the nice things about the Rebox products.

Lacking that, I tend to wrap items loosely with a high grade paper towel product and then if it's something that needs added cushioning, it seems that a surplus of kitchen towels works well enough for storage purposes.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
robert.
Posts: 6010
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:24 am

Re: Toss the Brass, Keep the Box!

Postby robert. » Fri May 11, 2018 6:54 pm

I use baseball card storage boxes
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42161
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: Toss the Brass, Keep the Box!

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri May 11, 2018 7:21 pm

robert. wrote:I use baseball card storage boxes


I use 4x4x12" boxes from ULine for freight cars, but I have some cars, trolleys, steam engines that simply need larger boxes when they are not in use.

Baseball card boxes are what? 3 1/2" deep? I'd rather have the 1/2" more for some cars that I know need it as well as for a bit of padding.

I've made wood boxes for some of my engines. I may go back to that in the future.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

J. S. Bach
Posts: 5820
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 9:30 pm

Re: Toss the Brass, Keep the Box!

Postby J. S. Bach » Fri May 11, 2018 7:46 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:I use 4x4x12" boxes from ULine for freight cars, but I have some cars, trolleys, steam engines that simply need larger boxes when they are not in use. Baseball card boxes are what? 3 1/2" deep? I'd rather have the 1/2" more for some cars that I know need it as well as for a bit of padding. I've made wood boxes for some of my engines. I may go back to that in the future.

I use 3½ x 4 x 12 for most of my trolleys and forty-foot freight cars. I am thinking about a wood box for my Challenger but the size puts me off. Maybe one day.

bob turner
Posts: 13646
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: Toss the Brass, Keep the Box!

Postby bob turner » Fri May 11, 2018 8:18 pm

I use wood boxes to move steam models, but try never to have models in boxes - if it is in a box, does it even exist?

User avatar
robert.
Posts: 6010
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:24 am

Re: Toss the Brass, Keep the Box!

Postby robert. » Fri May 11, 2018 9:15 pm

I would not buy one from ebay. shipping is to much. These pop up in yard sales for $10.00
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-CRAFTS ... Swns1a8H5o
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Carey Williams
Posts: 688
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:10 pm

Re: Toss the Brass, Keep the Box!

Postby Carey Williams » Fri May 11, 2018 11:35 pm

Hello all

I'm with Bob ..if it's in a box it's being transported..in or out .... I need to see the collection .... shelves & layout

Each to their own ...met a collector who only buys never run ( vintage) pieces .......I had all I could do not to say "what the heck fun is that?" .....

Stout in a recent auction sold a piece of cardboard used as a spacer within a box ... 400 +.......whatever floats your boat ..

E7
Posts: 8397
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 am

Re: Toss the Brass, Keep the Box!

Postby E7 » Sat May 12, 2018 2:53 pm

Carey,

The answer is your last statement: Whatever floats your boat!

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42161
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: Toss the Brass, Keep the Box!

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat May 12, 2018 4:32 pm

bob turner wrote:I use wood boxes to move steam models, but try never to have models in boxes - if it is in a box, does it even exist?


Only if it is with a cat.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42161
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: Toss the Brass, Keep the Box!

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat May 12, 2018 4:36 pm

robert. wrote:These pop up in yard sales for $10.00
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-CRAFTS ... Swns1a8H5o


And if I wanted a toolbox, etc., then I would be buying one at a yard sale, too. But I'm not. I'm looking for a box to put scratchbuilt O scale trolleys into that will accommodate a full scale item with trolley poles or a pantograph.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

bob turner
Posts: 13646
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: Toss the Brass, Keep the Box!

Postby bob turner » Sat May 12, 2018 8:30 pm

I thought the question was is the cat dead or alive. My concern is slightly more existential.

In fact, once in a while I spot a model on the shelf, and think "I did not know I had one of those."

E7
Posts: 8397
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 am

Re: Toss the Brass, Keep the Box!

Postby E7 » Sat May 12, 2018 8:49 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote: I'm looking for a box to put scratchbuilt O scale trolleys into that will accommodate a full scale item with trolley poles or a pantograph.


I did a search on "cardboard boxes"

https://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf- ... ds-3.20.11


Plenty of options. Not sure if they suit your needs, but somewhere to start.

This place might be a possibility:

https://www.papermart.com/cardboard-box ... tleLiteral

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42161
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: Toss the Brass, Keep the Box!

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun May 13, 2018 10:12 am

E7 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote: I'm looking for a box to put scratchbuilt O scale trolleys into that will accommodate a full scale item with trolley poles or a pantograph.


I did a search on "cardboard boxes"

https://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf- ... ds-3.20.11


I have bought from ULine which is a very good source, but generally you can't buy just 5 or 10 boxes from them - those 4x4x12" I bought from then was a bundle of 100. I found later I could get 50 from other sources. Still, 50 boxes are a lot to store, etc. I still have the remainders of a 2x4x12 bundle out in the garage that I bought for the kits that I had created and sold a few years back.

I'd like to be able to find a place where I cold just buy 5-10.

https://www.papermart.com/cardboard-boxes/id=20396-index?MSCMP=Campaign+%231&MSMTC=Exact&MSKEY=cardboard+boxes&utm_source=MSN&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Campaign%2B%231&msclkid=a68a7dd37dfb12903ee02724f6ce8bd6#ctl00_CPH_18885IxTlCl_titleLiteral


I will investigate.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.


Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 68 guests