Welcome To Model Train Journal's 3-Rail O-Gauge Forum

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
Forum Moderator
Site Admin

Welcome To Model Train Journal's 3-Rail O-Gauge Forum

Postby Forum Moderator » Thu Nov 27, 2003 12:54 pm

Welcome to ModelTrainJournal’s Discussion Forums. Here you can discuss, ask questions or debate anything related to 3-Rail O-Gauge Model Railroading.

Our goal is to offer a source of interactive information you can rely upon to separate hype and fluf from reality.

We are opinionated, and unlike some other sources, we don’t sit on the fence, or exhibit the most annoying habit of being suck-ups to advertisers. So we won’t pull your post or delete a thread just because you did not post a glowing comment on a product. Our allegiance is to you, the visitors to our site.

To ease navigation there are several forums available, simply click into a forum to begin posting or reading.

You can contact us at info@modeltrainjournal.com
Bill Lango
Last edited by Forum Moderator on Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jlong

Postby jlong » Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:05 pm

Well hello Mr Moderator (you do not post your name so I'll call you Mr Moderator).

This looks like a great forum. It seems like more of a model railroader O gauge board than a collectors board which is what I like.

So, Mr Moderator, can you tell us a little about yourself and what kind of trains you are into?

Maybe you can start a thread where we introduce ourselves and what we are into as far as trains go.
John Long

One nation under Josh with ozone an magnetraction for all

Forum Moderator
Site Admin

Postby Forum Moderator » Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:19 pm

Hi John:

Here goes...I'll lead off:

Well, I’ve been into O-gauge trains on and off since 1950 when my dad bought me my first Lionel outfit. No. 1463W Lionel “O-27" 3-car freight set.

I remember walking home from Cub Scouts and seeing the Lionel display and that set in the Pep Boys store window on Rockaway Blvd., in Queens NY.

Dad(Santa)and my brother Bob set up a Christmas
Garden Railroad under our Christmas Tree in the parlor and each and every year we added more and more to the layout until Mom complained it was taking up too much room and banished it to the basement. Which was good for us kids, because we now could play with our trains year round!

Dad got into HO in the mid 1950s and our Lionel stuff was stored in cartons under the layout in favor of Fleischman and other brands of HO. We built some pretty cool things together, including a helix.

Our family moved to NJ in 1959 and each Christmas Mom agreed for us to build a small HO pike under the Christmas tree.

I joined the Navy in 1961 and was Honorably discharged in 1964. When I returned home, I asked my Mom what ever happened to our Lionel trains and she told me that she gave them away to a kid down the block.

Wedding bells tolled for us in 1965. Back then, I would take my wife grocery shopping at the now defunct Two Guys stores. While she shopped for groceries, I would visit the toy/model department and occasionally buy one of their deeply discounted Lionel items.

In 1969 we bought our first home and I began building a 18' x 8' L shape Lionel layout. Nothing fancy, about it, but it was fun. At that time train shows were called train meets and they were few and far between and were really swop-meets. I began selling at train shows and did quite well. In my quest for more trains I placed want to buy ads in the local newspapers and even in our Church Bulletin.

In 1973,a small store front shop became available for the bargain price of $100 a month. I had a sign painter paint the window: “We Buy Lionel Trains” with our home phone number under it. The sign brought in loads of trains. Later we expanded the sign to read dolls as my wife is a doll collector. Which we bought at bargain prices and resold at shows, keeping the best for ourselves.

Over the years I continued train collecting and continued adding pieces to my collection.

I enjoy restoring old trains and toys, when I have the time. I have a few cartons of Lionel tin-plate stations and other stuff I put aside for when I retire to keep me busy. My favorite pre-war Lionel are their 800 series cars as well as Lionel Standard Gauge 200 series cars. Marx is also well represented in my collection.

I’m really not a ‘Collector,’ rather I consider myself to be an ‘Operator’ or someone who amasses a lot of stuff!

I was delighted when Williams came on the scene and even more happier when Mike Wolf gave the old tired Lion a run for the money. Now that doesn’t mean I don’t buy current Lionel, I certainly do. But I’d say the ratio is around five to one in favor of MTH. Also, all the other manufacturers are well represented in my collection.

PW size engines and rolling stock are my favorites. I enjoy them because they fit in well with my pw stuff and look well in consists.

My last layout was L shape and measured approx 28' x 8' and had a 12' dog leg or L on it. I also made up a bunch of Dual Gauge 5 Rail Tin-Plate track and ran that on an elevated dog bone on the rear of the layout so I could run both O-Gauge and Standard Gauge on the same track!

Now my granddaughters enjoy trains with me the way their mothers used to. They helped me build my last layout and helped me take it down and pack all my trains away for the upcoming move to a new home.

In fact, my oldest granddaughter enjoys accompanying me to train shows. She gets a special kick when one of the old timers walks up to her and says: “Young lady, I remember when your mommy was your age and your mommy used to help your grandfather at train shows.”

Now what can be better than that?

Bill Lango

jlong

Postby jlong » Mon May 03, 2004 10:35 pm

Well, Hi Bill.

OK, I got my start in 1963 at the tender age of five when my parents gave me a Lionel outfit. A 627 NP 44 tonner set that my dad set up on a plywood table with extra track and switches. I had a blast with that set and ran the piss out of it. The lights in the dark, the smell of ozone, and hot grease put me in la la land. By the time the Goodwill got it, half the trucks were missing, the shells were cracked, and whatnot. During this time I was exposed to the real postwar stuff like F-3's and Trainmasters and developed quite a yearning for it. It was too pricey and considering how hard I was on my first train, my parents would not consider it. I can't say I blame them one bit. I was very fortunate to get the trains I got.

In my elementary years, my younger brother and I were introduced to the more affordable HO. We built a 4 x 8 layout and put together a lot of Athearn kits along with Atlas and AHM buildings. We had a blast building, operating, and having glue fights over what colors to paint stuff. We got issues of Model Railroader and the Madison Hardware ads for postwar Lionel kept that oh so familiar yearning in my blood. But, it was way too pricey. Johnny Cash was doing MPC Lionel commercials then and that didn't help matters either. This went on through my high school years. My first job financed money for hobby shop purchases and a car to get there. I had a rough time dating girls because a date meant a trip to McDonalds and then the hobby shop. That usually got me dumped pretty fast. I didn't realize it then but I was probably wiser than most guys my age.

In 1981 After I graduated from college and got a real job, I went after postwar Lionel with a passion. I found a couple trainstores that sold moderately priced postwar and new MPC Lionel. I put together a small layout and collection in an extra bedroom. I was introduced to the TCA and attended local shows where I started finding the good stuff. Over the course of 18 years or so, I put together a decent postwar collection. I also dabbled in prewar and LTI semi-scale which I like too.

The imported scale stuff that MTH and Lionel introduced with TMCC and all enticed me even more. In 2001, I bought my first Atlas O woodside reefer and developed a slight case of reefer madness so I ordered more. I bought an LLC consolidation to pull them with and became hooked on 3 rail scale. Since then, I've bought a few MTH and Lionel engines plus a bunch of Atlas O and Lionel scale freight cars. Atlas, Lionel, and MTH are bringing out a lot of classics from the world of HO in O gauge. The stuff is just fantastic. I guess the only frustrating side is the finicky electronics and those friggen rubber band wheels. Magnetraction rules my heart. Otherwise, it's like the best of both worlds. My favorites are from the late steam/early diesel era.

I've been involved with forums for a couple years and discovered this one from an AOLer last week. After reading a few threads, the members here seem like great fellows, many of which I know of from other forums. I feel like this is a good fit and The censorship here is the best I think. In the sense it's more understanding than other forums when we get out of line. None of us are saints and I don't feel like we should have to tip toe when we write.
John Long

One nation under Josh with ozone an magnetraction for all

penncentral8885

Postby penncentral8885 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:11 pm

Hi guy's! It was 1966 for me, I started watching the Pennsy fly into my home town when I was 2,,,,,,Yep that's right!
Passenger trains from Indianapolis in route to St Louis would come into town at 60 MPH and have the brakes on witch made a really cool ring of fire around the wheels and I'll never forget that!!!
I was hooked!
I'm 43 years old and some times I'll just sit in the train room with a cold beer and not run a thing and just think of all the PRR guy's I met and the great things I saw!,,, Time for another cold one!
First Lionel set? 1967.
http://www.indianarailwaymuseum.org/

Turn to the dark side!,,,,Penn Central 1968-1976

"from there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere.",,,,,Dr. Seuss

jrstrains

Postby jrstrains » Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:20 pm

It was 1952 for me. First set was the 2023 UP Alco anniversary set. Over the years I was fortuante enough to have the room that my parents let my dad and me build a large layout. It was about 24 x 12. I had just about all the accessories by 1960. I also had a lot of cars, all the 6464 boxcars and several engines. We had the 2379, 2343 2344 2356 2373 and 2243 and 2245 f unis and all the geeps except the Burlington and solid stripe Milwaukee. In 1963, I had lost interest in trains basically and believe it or not I sold this entire layout and collection to a doctor in my town. I used the money to help buy a car. I returned to Lionel trains in 1972 attending train meets and attempting to buy back what I had previously sold. I have just about got it all but have paid a lot more than I sold it for. Selling in 1963 was one huge mistake.
JRsTrains
Give me the traditional stuff.

Geno

Postby Geno » Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:51 pm

Hello Everybody!
I would first like to thank Bill L. and co. for starting a Train Forum that honest and real enough to allow pepole to say what they want about model trains (or anything else for that matter) and not be censored or deleted just because a few people don't like what they read. It's refreshing to be able to read or see something not politically correct and not feel like I'm on some propaganda forum. I've posted on OGR, and while it's extremely informative and a great source to interface with other 3-railers, I've also had posts deleted due to opinion content. It's great to know some people have a different attitude about how to approach our hobby and a forum.

That said, let me introduce myself. I'm Geno Rojas, and I'm into "the new stuff" a.k.a. modern era diesels. I focus mainly on the western roads (BNSF, UP, CP) but since these guys are partnering up w/ CSX, NS, CN, some of those engines and rolling stock are in my collection as well. Since I like the new stuff much of my rolling stock roster is intermodal and Autoracks, but I'd say regular freight is well represted too. I also like Amtrak passenger equipment and even Alaska RR.

I also belong to AGHR (Angel's Gate Hi-Railers), a great little club down in San Pedro, CA. I met Matt, John, Lowell, Howie, Lee, and some of the other guys back in 2001, was invited to join, and have been running trains over there since. The 100 x 20 layout, while always in a constant state or development, is still awesome to run trains on and in the process having a second level added. Our club's greatest asset is its' members, who always welcome visitors come by and even run trains with us.

Geno

ANG retired

Hello there!!!

Postby ANG retired » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:04 am

:twisted:
Hello All!
Some of you can guess who I am by my screen name.
I am known by another on other forums, but it's related.
I am a retired Air Guard Tsgt. and a 2 rail O scaler, but also active in the rug hugging layout sector of the hobby, so I also "do" 3 rail.
I am a Photojourmnalist, so 1st amendment rights are near and dear to my heart.
Gues I'll make a PITA of myself here also!
:twisted:

aerozep3207

Postby aerozep3207 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:06 am

Hello all,don't know if I'm welcome on this forum but here goes....I'm a city boy,grew up in Brooklyn New York and have love trains (subways)since I can remember,but I never had much money,once I was married I had less,and have always had dogs....generally big & huge...
Well,I no longer have a wife and cannot have any dogs where I live,but I now have a little money to burn here and there......so last December I started buying subway train sets....I have a fairly nice-sized layout for the room I have....4 sets running in one room and another set going through one end of my trailer that I live in to the other.I don't think I've ever been happier.I have at this time 6 sets of subways and down the road I may incorporate some freights into my train world.

stay tuned.....watch the closing doors :arrow:

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:36 am

Well,I have been here for some time and just got to read this section.Seems as if we all have similar experiences.Got my first Lionel in 1946,the 1400W set then the 1401W.Other stuff followed.It was always set up,almost permanently,on the floor.In 1950 I found HO and built a 4.5 'X 9' layout in the basement.Went away to college in 1952.My grandmother,whom I lived with ,gave away all my trains because "he will not play with those toys anymore".Sound familiar?

When I retired eight years ago ,my wife who knew of mt strong interest in trains[of any kind] suggested that I build a layout.After a year of trains on the floor she suggested building a place for them.No basements in this area.So we did.

First track laid five years ago.Changes made at least six times.The last changes were made while the forum was down recently.So I made good use of that time.Unfortunately very little scenery has been done.

I certainly enjoy this forum.

Thanks Bill.

:)
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

ogauge47

Postby ogauge47 » Sun May 11, 2008 2:42 pm

I don't know what would of happened if this forum didn't have come around. I love that anything I have a question about all the great guys help me out. I also may be the one of the only teens who still like trains. I was started around the age of 5, with a LTI 6-1190 Santa Fe set. I got many more trains and only last year I have switched to hi-rail. I am one of those semi-scale postwar styled to hi-rail people. I now have fleets of modern locomotives pulling autoracks, well cars, spine cars and intermodal flat cars. I also have a large fleet of MTH 50' Hi-cubes now.
This is the best forum around for this hobby, and it has the best members, they HELP other members, unlike other sites.
Thank you Bill!
Last edited by ogauge47 on Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sun May 11, 2008 9:56 pm

You have got it 47.
roger

I support thread drift.

Lionel Lines 726

Re: Welcome To Model Train Journal's 3-Rail O-Gauge Forum

Postby Lionel Lines 726 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:18 pm

Hi I am a new guy here too. I am currently building my first serious layout in my dad's one car garage, called Berkshire Junction. I has three loops of track, two on the bottom level, and one on the top. It will eventually be fully detailed with weathered buildings detailed scenery, and even a working Drive In movie theater!! The centerpiece of the layout will be a huge Lionel factory that I will kitbash in the future. I love to collect trains and operate them also. I am into pre, postwar, and modern era Lionel O guage trains built in the 90's. That pretty much covers my collection, which I think has good variety. I hope I have a good time on this forum. I used to post on CTT forum but all they wanted to talk about was legal BS and the Civil War and Grits! :oops: :oops: I know that I will have a great time on here. :D

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:31 pm

It is fun here.Join in.
roger

I support thread drift.

rickoshay

Postby rickoshay » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:48 pm

Hey everyone! I've been reading the posts here for over a year & figured it was time to introduce myself. I frequent the other O Gauge boards as well but MTJ is my favorite.

Though my Dad set up a 4X8 layout at Christmas back in the Fifties, I was a little too young to play with them much. I can remember a smoking steam loco (probably a 2026) and blue MoPac diesel (205?) and, of course, the operating gateman. Actually, my uncle was the train nut as he had a wonderful basement layout with multiple loops, mountains & tunnels, even a trolley.

In the early to mid Sixties I dabbled with some carpet central HO but eventually got into slot car racing. Went away to college in 1970 and during that time all of my "toys" disappeared. Did some drag racing in the Seventies & then got pretty involved in the Mustang hobby (restoration & showing) for about thirty years.

Flash forward to January, 2008. My wife's family was in the process of moving from NJ to VA and came across several boxes of old lionel trains that had belonged to her real Dad, who had passed away in 1963. When asked if I would be interested in taking them there was no hesitation! Unfortunately, they were wrapped in newspaper & stored poorly so every piece needed repair/restoration. There wasn't anything terribly valuable...a 1684, '49 2026, an 1120 Scout, '49 milk car & cattle car set, various rolling stock & accessories and, oh yeah, a 622 bell-ringer. My eyes really got big though when I unpacked the ZW!

I set to work and was able to get everything operational by mid-summer (a real testament to Lionel quality & engineering!). I then began the layout construction, a 4X9 table with a 2X3 "L" section on one end. It was pretty much toy train with grass paper & two loops of tubular 027. The main loop has a passing siding & a industrial siding, using 1122 turnouts. I was able to finish it in time for Christmas.

This year I've added a foot to each end of of the layout to accomodate the tunnels/platforms which support an elevated loop. The new loop was necessary in order to run my only "modern" train, a TMCC equipped N&W "J". Most of my stuff is Postwar and I really enjoy working on the Fifties trains, especially the steamers. I've added several of the nicer 027 locos to the fleet over the past year.

I apologize for being so long winded. I'll try to post some pics of the layout in the coming week. Almost forgot...Merry Christmas!
Rich Riley
Where the N&W RY meets Lionel Lines

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”