USH/KTM Challenger
-
steamaheadstephen59
- Posts: 238
- Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:23 pm
USH/KTM Challenger
Last edited by steamaheadstephen59 on Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
bob turner
- Posts: 13648
- Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm
Re: USH/KTM Challenger
I agree - any Challenger discussion would be great. Not sure why, but this forum has a time limit on my photos - it appears to be around 2 1/2 years. I posted all of my Challengers in a threadcalled Union Pacific Steam 2020. All are now gone, although the images still exist on Shutterfly.
A little later, I will stuff them all in here.
Really nice looking model. If I wasn’t a Lobaugh nut I would be a USH collector.
A little later, I will stuff them all in here.
Really nice looking model. If I wasn’t a Lobaugh nut I would be a USH collector.
-
steamaheadstephen59
- Posts: 238
- Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:23 pm
Re: USH/KTM Challenger
I think USH, KTM, Max Grey borrowed a lot from Lobough in its style of construction, cast frames removable axles and bearings etc.
Re: USH/KTM Challenger
That is a beautiful loco! And, it has a lot of added details that didn't come on any of the KTM built locos. The individual stacks are different, as well as some of the detail around it and the crosses are something I've never seen on the prototype or model before. The overall condition just looks fantastic. Love to see some more photos.
You're right, Challengers are far and few between. I've been looking for one for some time. I've got (2) PSC UP articulated loco complete detail kits (thought I sold the 1st one and then found it after buying a second) and always planned on super detailing a BB or Challenger.
You're right, Challengers are far and few between. I've been looking for one for some time. I've got (2) PSC UP articulated loco complete detail kits (thought I sold the 1st one and then found it after buying a second) and always planned on super detailing a BB or Challenger.
-
bob turner
- Posts: 13648
- Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm
Re: USH/KTM Challenger
Here is one of the earlier Lobaugh Challengers:

And its Union Pacific cousin:

Note that these are early Challengers - often called "Fetters" Challengers - to distinguish them from the later "Jabelmann" Challengers with larger fireboxes and centipede tenders.
And its Union Pacific cousin:
Note that these are early Challengers - often called "Fetters" Challengers - to distinguish them from the later "Jabelmann" Challengers with larger fireboxes and centipede tenders.
Re: USH/KTM Challenger
Very nice, a beautiful Challenger in excellent condition.
The USH models are a wonderful “base” for detailing.
What’s the plan for it?
The USH models are a wonderful “base” for detailing.
What’s the plan for it?
Re: USH/KTM Challenger
Stephen,
That's a GREAT piece! You are a lucky man! Car & Locomotive Shop (the late Henry Bultmann) did a dandy in Western Maryland livery.
Rich
That's a GREAT piece! You are a lucky man! Car & Locomotive Shop (the late Henry Bultmann) did a dandy in Western Maryland livery.
Rich
Last edited by E7 on Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
bob turner
- Posts: 13648
- Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm
Re: USH/KTM Challenger
Note the handrail posts - Max probably got them from Lobaugh. Yes, I agree - really nice model, and done very well by the Japanese craftsmen.
Here are some more Lobaugh - I'll do a couple of the Jabelmann versions:

This one was the late Peter Cousins (I will correct that spelling soon - ) he used to ask me questions at OSW about how to complete it, and we became friends. I got mostly parts from his estate, and put this together with his name on a card inside.

This one is now complete, but I thought you might like to see one in its mid-construction state. Yes, all the rivets you see were pressed here while watching the news channels. I think I have four of these complete, and one kinda sitting around waiting for more parts to show up.
As an aside, Dennis made rods for me, from patterns duplicating the Lobaugh rods - but the rear side rod from Lobaugh was incorrect - the real one was a straight rod, not tapered. I got a note and photos from Bill Kratville explaining that little detail.
Here are some more Lobaugh - I'll do a couple of the Jabelmann versions:
This one was the late Peter Cousins (I will correct that spelling soon - ) he used to ask me questions at OSW about how to complete it, and we became friends. I got mostly parts from his estate, and put this together with his name on a card inside.
This one is now complete, but I thought you might like to see one in its mid-construction state. Yes, all the rivets you see were pressed here while watching the news channels. I think I have four of these complete, and one kinda sitting around waiting for more parts to show up.
As an aside, Dennis made rods for me, from patterns duplicating the Lobaugh rods - but the rear side rod from Lobaugh was incorrect - the real one was a straight rod, not tapered. I got a note and photos from Bill Kratville explaining that little detail.
-
bob turner
- Posts: 13648
- Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm
Re: USH/KTM Challenger
Here is a strange one - Lobaugh did the NP Challenger before 1941, but only a few have surfaced. I used pieces of Lobaugh, along with wood blocks and lots of artistic license to create this one. It is powered (although noisy) by my "twin spool" design - the front driveshaft runs right through the rear worm shaft. Yes, the tender body is a wood block. I do have drawings for the NP and D&H tenders done by Lobaugh, and both appear to have been guesses, based on no more than photos. My D&H is taller than Lobaugh, and this thing is lots longer.
I do have the correct PSC tender trucks, but so far have been doing other things . . .

Again thanks to Dave Goodson (Scale Craft Dave) for the decals. That was several decades ago.
I do have the correct PSC tender trucks, but so far have been doing other things . . .
Again thanks to Dave Goodson (Scale Craft Dave) for the decals. That was several decades ago.
-
steamaheadstephen59
- Posts: 238
- Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:23 pm
Re: USH/KTM Challenger
Re: USH/KTM Challenger
Whoever worked on that model was a real craftsman, everything is straight, secured and plumb. The box under the trailing truck is unique.
-
steamaheadstephen59
- Posts: 238
- Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:23 pm
Re: USH/KTM Challenger
Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 79 guests