Doorstop Diesels

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
bob turner
Posts: 13649
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: Doorstop Diesels

Postby bob turner » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:07 pm

It gets Warbonnet. Sides and grille are stainless, roof, skirts, and trucks are to be silver paint. Thinking of going for Molotow chrome instead of stainless, although this color is growing on me.

Whaddaya think of the trucks on the A unit?

up148
Posts: 4757
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:52 am

Re: Doorstop Diesels

Postby up148 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:10 am

bob turner wrote:It gets Warbonnet. Sides and grille are stainless, roof, skirts, and trucks are to be silver paint. Thinking of going for Molotow chrome instead of stainless, although this color is growing on me.

Whaddaya think of the trucks on the A unit?


Very detailed and really set this model off. What mfg? I like the paint now, but never followed modeling SF so don't know the best paints to use....but it looks really sharp.

bob turner
Posts: 13649
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: Doorstop Diesels

Postby bob turner » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:44 am

Doorstop CLW sand cast. Lionel trucks on the A.

User avatar
De Bruin
Posts: 988
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: Doorstop Diesels

Postby De Bruin » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:39 pm

Beautiful model, trucks and car body both, I'd be tempted to stick with the Alclad sides and just apply the warbonnet, #;s, road name, stripes etc.
Not as big an issue for you, but if you had a large existing roster of SF passenger cabs then you'd want superficially the same look scheme wise and (opinion) certainly is a big difference between Alclad and other silver/aluminum/stainless steel paints.

I'm impressed with the look of your Alclad application, I've not been able to apply it successfully like that in my past attempts, the second silver coat always interacted poorly with that base application, even after weeks of curing the first coat.
Political Consultant- Tap into the hidden powers of your public office, insure your future is jail free, well funded. Visit shock and awe upon your adversaries, dominate the media, thrill your followers. contact morbo@happydaysrhereagain.com

bob turner
Posts: 13649
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: Doorstop Diesels

Postby bob turner » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:49 pm

I did it all at once over Scale Coat gloss black. Used the entire bottle. Dries fast; took ten minutes. Now I have none left for the B trucks.

bob turner
Posts: 13649
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: Doorstop Diesels

Postby bob turner » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:25 pm

Parked it next to a stainless cup. The dark color is extremely close. I am going to try some polishing compound and Future Floor Wax.

Entertaining! I may blow another $10 and try it again, this time looking for perfection. I am always in a hurry when painting.

I note that where I touch it it seems to oxidize quickly.

User avatar
R.K. Maroon
Posts: 3136
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: Doorstop Diesels

Postby R.K. Maroon » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:49 am

The link below any photo will display the image full size

bob turner
Posts: 13649
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: Doorstop Diesels

Postby bob turner » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:34 pm

Chris started us up again after almost a week, so I took the time to get some photos - Here is the AFT PA, in its very rough form. It has overspray here and there, and the nose needs to be perfected, but I always wanted one of these:

Image

bob turner
Posts: 13649
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: Doorstop Diesels

Postby bob turner » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:28 pm

I guess I am the only person here avoiding the big parties - there is a Super Spreader gathering going on at the Stearman hangar as I type. I think I shall isolate, and continue work on the Mexicano for a minute.
Meanwhile, here is how the etched CLW B unit mates up to the all sand cast CLW PA:

Image

User avatar
ScaleCraft
Posts: 6693
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Doorstop Diesels

Postby ScaleCraft » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:13 pm

always liked those honorary steam engines.

Only was able to obtain H0 Athearn units in A and B.

Bigger issue was the lack of PA's on the NP.

All trucks powered?
Dave....gone by invitation

bob turner
Posts: 13649
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: Doorstop Diesels

Postby bob turner » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:45 pm

Never power B units. Six axle power on both A units - one really large Pittman in each - much larger than the 9434. I think they are 4000-series.

I have since then graduated to the 8000s - one over each truck. But my sprockets are starting to split.

User avatar
De Bruin
Posts: 988
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: Doorstop Diesels

Postby De Bruin » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:50 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:...always liked those honorary steam engines.....Bigger issue was the lack of PA's on the NP.....

What? you mean my American Flyer NP PA's aren't prototypical?
I don't believe it 8^)
But yeah, I like these a lot and especially that AB set Bob has cobbled up. Awesome. The AFT unit is interesting too, the prototype wound up on the GM&O.
Political Consultant- Tap into the hidden powers of your public office, insure your future is jail free, well funded. Visit shock and awe upon your adversaries, dominate the media, thrill your followers. contact morbo@happydaysrhereagain.com

User avatar
ScaleCraft
Posts: 6693
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Doorstop Diesels

Postby ScaleCraft » Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:07 pm

De Bruin wrote:
ScaleCraft wrote:...always liked those honorary steam engines.....Bigger issue was the lack of PA's on the NP.....

What? you mean my American Flyer NP PA's aren't prototypical?
I don't believe it 8^)
But yeah, I like these a lot and especially that AB set Bob has cobbled up. Awesome. The AFT unit is interesting too, the prototype wound up on the GM&O.

Oh, yeah. Artistic License.
Back 35 and more years ago you couldn't get 3-rail NP F7's from anybody. After our house fire, my ATSF warbonnets were black with smoke damage. A-B-A went NP Loewy, A-B went NP Pine Tree.
Back in 90 or 91, had a convention, my small pike (at the time) was open, with the NP F's, and a string of custom painted NP streamliners. Two guys from Lionel came, got all excited, took lots of photos, promised NP stuff..and 3,4, 5 years later, came out with an NP passenger set. Beautiful cars, nice FA all neatly painted...guess how many FA's the NP owned?

Then FT's. NOBODY made them in 3-rail. I picked up a A-B in sand cast bronze, always thought Wentzco, but the roofs aren't right. Machined them and a Lionel 2343 set of frames, painted NP freight black.
25 pounds with two motors and four axles of magnetraction....they will pull teeth!
Dave....gone by invitation

E7
Posts: 8398
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 am

Re: Doorstop Diesels

Postby E7 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:20 am

Dave, Could have been worse! What if you were an Aberdeen and Rockfish fan? :mrgreen:

bob turner
Posts: 13649
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: Doorstop Diesels

Postby bob turner » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:35 pm

This week Trainz is selling an etched CLW PA for around $400 with good transmissions on four axles, and in the same general area is selling an all-cast CLW PB with one truck presumably powered with one of those solid block transmissions that were known to eat gears. No link for Dave, since my point is that Trainz has decided that dirtbag doorstops are nkow half again as valuable as the more modern stuff.

Hooray for my collection! I always thought they were stuck at a hundred bucks each, max.


Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 59 guests