Jim Taverna's Northern Central Division of the PRR

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
Chris Webster
Posts: 945
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 8:25 pm

Jim Taverna's Northern Central Division of the PRR

Postby Chris Webster » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:13 pm

Thought I should post this for anyone who hadn't see his message about needing a replacement Key F-unit shell:
Youtube Video: PRR Northern Central (Jul 2, 2021)

up148
Posts: 4757
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:52 am

Re: Jim Taverna's Northern Central Division of the PRR

Postby up148 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:36 am

Good Man Chris, but what he is looking for will be very elusive.

User avatar
ScaleCraft
Posts: 6693
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Jim Taverna's Northern Central Division of the PRR

Postby ScaleCraft » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:16 pm

Several things here. One, I cherry picked, no interest in almost 10 minutes of PRR. Two, never caught anything in the LINKED video on a KEY F unit. Three, he's be better off finding a complete F unit and not a non-existent spare shell.
But item four is of more interest.

Tomorrow that video is one year old (at least posting date). It was POSTED by Fords Colony Model Railroad Club, and no way to tell when it was actually shot.

Anybody bother to check whether he still has that need a year later?
Dave....gone by invitation

Chris Webster
Posts: 945
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 8:25 pm

Re: Jim Taverna's Northern Central Division of the PRR

Postby Chris Webster » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:27 pm

He posted a June 29, 2022 message saying he was looking for a Key shell and some other parts. His message included a link to his video, which is how I became aware of it.

User avatar
ScaleCraft
Posts: 6693
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Jim Taverna's Northern Central Division of the PRR

Postby ScaleCraft » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:41 pm

Chris Webster wrote:He posted a June 29, 2022 message saying he was looking for a Key shell and some other parts. His message included a link to his video, which is how I became aware of it.

So..what parts of the previously undisclosed message were we supposed to know about when you posted said video?
I didn't see any postings of a message about a shell here on MTJ...can you link it?
Cryptic.
Dave....gone by invitation

up148
Posts: 4757
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:52 am

Re: Jim Taverna's Northern Central Division of the PRR

Postby up148 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:47 pm

Well, it was posted on the Yard Sale, which I visit every morning, apparently Chris visits it too. :D

User avatar
ScaleCraft
Posts: 6693
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Jim Taverna's Northern Central Division of the PRR

Postby ScaleCraft » Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:20 pm

Fun. No place in the first posting (or anywhere until you mentioned it) was yard or yard sale mentioned.
The link was to a video.

Okay. Thanks.

I'll ignore it.
Dave....gone by invitation

E7
Posts: 8398
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 am

Re: Jim Taverna's Northern Central Division of the PRR

Postby E7 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:37 pm

I suspect Jim T's chances of finding a spare shell are about as good as those of Dave winning "Mr.
Congeniality. :mrgreen:

bob turner
Posts: 13648
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: Jim Taverna's Northern Central Division of the PRR

Postby bob turner » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:34 pm

You never know. When I croak, there will be a couple Overland PA/PB shells available. Not Key quality, but same genre.

But I agree - buy the entire unit, then eBay the mechanism. Cheaper in the long run - parts are going for big bucks.

E7
Posts: 8398
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 am

Re: Jim Taverna's Northern Central Division of the PRR

Postby E7 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:21 am

bob turner wrote:You never know. When I croak, there will be a couple Overland PA/PB shells available. Not Key quality, but same genre.

But I agree - buy the entire unit, then eBay the mechanism. Cheaper in the long run - parts are going for big bucks.


The other fairly obvious thing would be to put up some kind of barriers to keep the same thing from happening again. Those elevated areas look neat until your favorite brass engine does a swine dive onto the concrete floor. I thought the whole thing looked kind of dodgy, even before I heard about the big crash.

User avatar
ScaleCraft
Posts: 6693
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Jim Taverna's Northern Central Division of the PRR

Postby ScaleCraft » Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:05 pm

E7 wrote:
The other fairly obvious thing would be to put up some kind of barriers to keep the same thing from happening again. Those elevated areas look neat until your favorite brass engine does a swine dive onto the concrete floor. I thought the whole thing looked kind of dodgy, even before I heard about the big crash.


Sorta what I thought leading into this. Link to a video with a request for a KEY shell....figured I'd see the crash.
Fast forward, nothing.
Normal speed, wasted 15 minutes of nothing.
Didn't even get a still in the video of smashed equipment.
Dave....gone by invitation

E7
Posts: 8398
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 am

Re: Jim Taverna's Northern Central Division of the PRR

Postby E7 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:54 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:Sorta what I thought leading into this. Link to a video with a request for a KEY shell....figured I'd see the crash.
Fast forward, nothing.
Normal speed, wasted 15 minutes of nothing.
Didn't even get a still in the video of smashed equipment.


There's another factor involved that makes looking for a shell a real dodgy plan: I don't know how many runs of F7's were offered by Key, either under Ted McKey or Dave DeVita, but there would have been different builders along the way, so maybe not just a screw together proposition.

E7
Posts: 8398
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 am

Re: Jim Taverna's Northern Central Division of the PRR

Postby E7 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:52 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:Sorta what I thought leading into this. Link to a video with a request for a KEY shell....figured I'd see the crash.
Fast forward, nothing.
Normal speed, wasted 15 minutes of nothing.
Didn't even get a still in the video of smashed equipment.


I fail to see the enjoyment in viewing some poor soul's busted up crap. I don't take pleasure in someone's misfortune unless they truly earned/deserve it, although I would say running stuff over a gulf like that one is courting disaster. Looking at that bridge, my first anal-y-sis would be: what happens to that sucker if it attempts a dismount? Still nothing I would take pleasure in.

User avatar
ScaleCraft
Posts: 6693
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Jim Taverna's Northern Central Division of the PRR

Postby ScaleCraft » Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:09 pm

Are you ascribing an opinion towards me?

I don't relish that at all.

however, human nature being what it is, why do you think NASCAR is so popular?
Read that some place years and years ago.
Go to a sports bar, watch a NASCAR or even 500 race and listen.

I figured with the low level of usable data, the reason for the video link would have been informative in relation to the need for a shell, rather than some obscure click-bait.

Even if the person in the video held up a KEY F unit that looked like a B but started as an A asking if anybody had one.
No idea what to expect.

To find out the reference was to another place....uh, no. Sorry.



Me? I've got a 27' long wood trestle, high point is 5' off the ground.
I laid a guardrail on the inner rail full length, double on the center bridge section, just to make sure.
26 or so years, one place we have never had a derailment.
Dave....gone by invitation

E7
Posts: 8398
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 am

Re: Jim Taverna's Northern Central Division of the PRR

Postby E7 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:13 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:human nature being what it is, why do you think NASCAR is so popular?
Read that some place years and years ago.


Not one of the more admirable traits of our fellow human beings.

ScaleCraft wrote:Go to a sports bar, watch a NASCAR or even 500 race and listen.


I'd rather watch paint dry.

ScaleCraft wrote:I figured with the low level of usable data, the reason for the video link would have been informative in relation to the need for a shell, rather than some obscure click-bait.


I don't see the need for a video at all.

ScaleCraft wrote:Me? I've got a 27' long wood trestle, high point is 5' off the ground.
I laid a guardrail on the inner rail full length, double on the center bridge section, just to make sure. 26 or so years, one place we have never had a derailment.


Which proves you are a lot better at anticipating problems than Mr. T. who probably never met Mr. Murphy.


Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 86 guests