Passenger Cars 2021

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
ScaleCraft

Re: Passenger Cars 2021

Postby ScaleCraft » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:23 pm

Yeah, I am puzzled. Dated 1952, not much manufacturing sent to us from them in 1952.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

steamaheadstephen59

Postby steamaheadstephen59 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:48 pm

Hi my name is Stephen, I live in Aussi land down under, and this is my first reply to a topic in the MTJ. The truth is Iv'e been viewing the many cool posts here for years, and Im enjoying this one on passenger cars, they have to be my favourite rolling stock. Ive been modelling American 2 rail O scale for some thirty odd years now. So hi to you all.

E7

Postby E7 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:05 pm

Stephen,

Welcome aboard, glad to have you here!

Rich

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:33 pm

Yes greetings and welcome Stephen,

So, Rich these duplex sleepers were an earlier version of the slumber coach. These 12-5's were pre-war "Brook" series cars (I think the UP had them too) likewise the PRR ordered a post-war 12-4 plan ('48 Broadway)"Creek" series version with only 4 bedrooms to squeeze enough car body space to enclose the hoppers in the duplex sleepers. A few of the postwar versions lasted long enough to get the pea-green PC scheme.
This looks like the aisle side of 12 bedroom or maybe a 22 roomette, but it's just the aisle side of the same car, shot it to show off these nifty "Napolean" trucks, which weren't visible in the earlier shot.
Doh! Striker plate on the Warterman diaphragm has fled the scene.[/quote]
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:00 am

Pete, The window arrangement didn't make sense until I saw Dave's diagram. Obviously, my expertise in the area of passenger cars ranges from slim to none. Because the size of my monitor, the print appears so small on the diagram that it may as well have been written in Chinese, thus my comment. Soon ready for the dog and cane!

Rich

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:19 am

Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:24 pm

steamaheadstephen59 wrote:Hi my name is Stephen, I live in Aussi land down under, and this is my first reply to a topic in the MTJ. The truth is Iv'e been viewing the many cool posts here for years, and Im enjoying this one on passenger cars, they have to be my favourite rolling stock. Ive been modelling American 2 rail O scale for some thirty odd years now. So hi to you all.

Yes, welcome aboard.

Joseph Frank1

Postby Joseph Frank1 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:12 pm

Hi Bob !

I sent you a PRIVATE MESSAGE here at MTJ on Sept. 15. Check your message box. Regards - Joe F

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:52 am

It dawns on me that a lot of my early posts are long gone, so my apologies to any of you who remember this one, which is one of my earliest.
This is one of two scratch built NYC 9100 series 70' ACF end door baggage cars, the other is in a solid grey late NYC scheme which I'll re-shoot and post if I can ever find it. The floor and roof are wood, the ends are brass with the door hardware added to one end each, the sides were cut from grey Plastruck sheet styrene to the plan in the RPC Vol 2 PS NYC book, side doors cut from a gem case, trucks are the delrin ALW's.

This was a fairly large prototype class with 200 built in the late forties, and I believe a handful still exist as MOW tool cars etc. They were in use on some of the early Amtrak runs too and commonly seen through the 70's on flexi-van express and mail freights as well, I have since received photo evidence of these painted in Amtrak silver, blue and red too, contrary to the caption/foot notes in the MS PC color guide.
Last edited by De Bruin on Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:50 pm

That's the point. all our old photos are either purged or locked in Photobucket. All of mine are repeats except for the U50 and Maroon's D&H.
This one is All Nation, with aluminum embossed sides. The embossing is superb, but somehow I like the Walthers steel better.

Hi Joe.
My motivation here posting photos is similar to my motivation when Dan Henon had his stroke - I realized that I enjoyed others' articles, but that I had never contributed - so that's when I started to write. Joe was the editor of OSN after Dan's stroke, and kept it alive during "fraught" times.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:15 am

Me like that SD&AE coach a lot there Bob. Technically all my visible photos left here are still hosted on Photobucket, but yeah I uploaded a whole bunch directly for the first five or more years after I started here and they got wiped off along with everyone else's.
So just for some variety though I think I've never shared this one.
This is a pre-war PS Daylight Tavern car built from a BC-Models kit that I won about ten years ago on Ebay. It was one of those irritating multiple listings where the seller was listing each car separately all at the same time. Recall about nine total maybe more, pretty much every version of the BC-M series for the Coast Daylight including a pair of articulated coaches plus some matching Chester cars as well.
Most of them went between $70 and $110 at close, so I was surprised that I snagged this for around $35 plus shipping. Maybe because at the time it only had the letterboard decals applied and looked a tad "naked" as a result, I didn't care as it felt like the first really good deal on a psgr car I ever got on Ebay.
The prototypes lost their Daylight scheme around 1958 and ran looking like this though retaining their as-built Tavern configuration until around 1963-4 when most were converted into the dreaded Automat cars. This car has a nice interior that (at least around the windows) matches the Automat version more than the Tavern version but unless I score an SDP-45 it's going stay lettered/numbered for the Tavern.The biggest knock I have is the sides not having liners cut/mounted, as you'll note from the pulled-in glazing.
Another pleasant surprise unpacking it was finding it had interior lighting wired off these nicely detailed (albeit incorrect) trucks. anybody recognize the manufacturer?

E7

Postby E7 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:47 am

Pete, I, too like the looks of that car a lot. One of those cases where less is more! As for the trucks, Weaver made a small line of die cast trucks, the material of which had that same "look", though I don't recall if they did anything "passenger" wise.

Rich

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:52 am

Also don't forget - SP started pulling the Napoleon Hat trucks in the 1950s and replacing them with this sort of truck. I shall look for a photo . . .

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:44 pm

C&NW Solarium?
Cardstock, interior:

Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:16 pm

Neat car Dave, JC Models?

Bob, you're correct, SP did start replacing those pre-war trucks with a similar design to what's on it now, my photos show this particular car(number) retaining it's "Napoleans" even after conversion and renumbering to an automat though, but hey I'm not pulling these off, they're too nice.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”