Erie-Built

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
Jay Criswell

Re: Erie-Built

Postby Jay Criswell » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:26 am

Actually the models I worked on were one offs from Overland.

Having said that, a friend gave me a set of the trucks from the early MG import. They have been modified by having OMI wipers. Also has all the Overland drive components for both trucks. Looks like it was set up for their tank drive. No center tower.

I assume someone upgraded their MG and all of it became surplus. Probably will become part of my Future Estate Sale.

Jay

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:43 am

Trainz had two "B" units for auction about three months ago. They went too high for my tastes. You can see a photo of the Max Gray units in those handy guides put out by Model Graphics (Frank Diedrich) - "Pocket Spotter Guide"

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:28 pm

E7 wrote:I've seen an MG "A". Wondering if you might have an image of one to post. Rich

RIch, An A-unit went by on eBay back in 2014. I snagged some photos:

Looks like the later version prototype.

As to roof profile, I have an "FV" (Fernando Valley) A-unit and a Max Gray B-unit. Here is a photo that serves as a roof profile comparison:

The Max Gray B is in the foreground, and the Fernando Valley A is beyond. The Fernando Valley unit clearly has a higher arch to the roof.

Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:55 pm

Jim, Thank you for the Pics! I'd say considering the time frame, the builder did a pretty respectable job!

The difference in the curves of the roof lines is easily noticeable. Great shot!

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:34 pm

Is that one of the Trainz offerings? Does it run good enough to push the F-V?
The A unit is a work of art, and probably way more substantial than the Overland offerings - Maybe Jay can re-post his gorgeous re-dos here?

E7

Postby E7 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:29 am

bob turner wrote:The A unit is a work of art, and probably way more substantial than the Overland offerings

Considering the time period it was made (I think Max died of a heart attack in 1965) it looks pretty dang good, but the windshield cutouts are stuck somewhere between the shape of your B24's and the later larger more upright version. As for Jay's re-dos, I think what he re-did was the running gear with that snazzy new drive set up he has. The B-24 unit was an Overland one off, and the modified A was an Overland PRR version from Lee Turner (your brother? or just a happy accident?). Lee did the change from bare brass to painted UP, which I think, mostly involved removing the PRR train phone antennas and paint. I think I got that right, but let's say subject to Jay's approval since he was involved with the project and I was just a follower.

I think the Max model might be a bit more accurate ala headlight size, but that's just a guess.

Rich

E7

Postby E7 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:34 am

bob turner wrote:Is that one of the Trainz offerings? Does it run good enough to push the F-V?
The A unit is a work of art, and probably way more substantial than the Overland offerings - Maybe Jay can re-post his gorgeous re-dos here?

Take note that those "gorgeous re-dos" of jay's are the dreaded Overlands:

Jay "Actually the models I worked on were one offs from Overland."

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:05 am

Overland products were extremely well detailed. Gorgeous does not mean mechanically sound, which is why Jay re-worked them?

E7

Postby E7 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:50 pm

bob turner wrote:Overland products were extremely well detailed. Gorgeous does not mean mechanically sound, which is why Jay re-worked them?

You'd have to ask the owner about that.

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:04 am

bob turner wrote:Is that one of the Trainz offerings?

Yes, the B-unit was from Trainz:

I bought it on "spec" hoping that an A might show up the week after. It didn't, but.....no regrets. I can wait.

bob turner wrote:Does it run good enough to push the F-V?

Interesting question, Bob. Here is the Fernando Valley A-unit:

I have not put either on the rails and applied power, but I will commit to getting both running and then stage a mano y mano face off. Just like the prototypes, they will be pushing instead of pulling. I will post a handicap sheet for both and then you all can place your bets. Two-dollar minimum. Window closes ten minutes before post time. Jeffersons will not be accepted.

Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:16 am

This is just a guess - I do have drawings, but have not "blown them up." I am going to guess that, between Max, F-V, and CLW, the latter two have more accurate roof arch.
Plenty of prototype photos with Erie A and PB, matching rather well.
Since it is a guess, I expect to be rapidly proven wrong.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun May 30, 2021 2:16 pm

I am going to take Dave's place, and note that a trio of Atlas Erie-Builts (plastic models) can now be had on eBay for just under $2500. Shipping is very reasonable. I am impressed!
And an OGR forumite captured the LocoWorks F-M A unit. Hope he posts the finished product.

Of course, when a Lobaugh air tank is seven bucks, maybe an $800 plastic Diesel is a bargain.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun May 30, 2021 2:42 pm

bob turner wrote:I am going to take Dave's place, and note that a trio of Atlas Erie-Builts (plastic models) can now be had on eBay for just under $2500. Shipping is very reasonable.

All yours!!!
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:12 pm

The matching A unit is now listed for $866.99 buy-it-now: Ebay #294207736240 - Max Gray O Scale 2 Rail BRASS NYC Diesel Locomotive [2Rail] EX

R.K. Maroon wrote:
bob turner wrote:Is that one of the Trainz offerings?

Yes, the B-unit was from Trainz:

I bought it on "spec" hoping that an A might show up the week after. It didn't, but.....no regrets. I can wait.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:47 pm

Paint doesn't quite match, but hey - how many of these were built in brass? Ten?

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”