Lovely

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
ScaleCraft

Re: Lovely

Postby ScaleCraft » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:10 am

bob turner wrote:Since they were plastic, I did not keep any. Like the HO plastic F7 for 98 cents, these were, to my eye, well done for cheapo plastic. They served their purpose. One could always buy a more expensive power section. Ditto the FM C-Liner - really well detailed, and (ugh) plastic. I think the ones I got were $12.95, along with the 0-8-0 which was likewise extremely well detailed, and 17/64.

I like metal and wood. Hey, it is a hobby - no need for logic!

I remember Athearn Hi-F drive F units, Geeps and even RDC's (with the requisite Hustler thrown in). Pick up new F nits for what, 6.98? I remember when they went up to 10.98! And I've seen morons selling them RARE!VINTAGE!COLLECTIBLE! for a stupid high price. Several years ago I rebuilt and restored probably a dozen for family. Got a bag of colored rubber bands same size, seem to last a whole lot longer.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:35 am

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-Atlas- ... 3096535049

No sale at 195 for this BN A-B-A. What IS surprising is a fairly late plastic model has "side pegs":

HAS SIDE PEGS FOR CONDUCTIVITY TO POWER

Hilarious.

Missing a sideframe.....a person could spend a lot of money buying these up and have enough bits to run them in revenue service for a year and scrap them.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:23 am

ScaleCraft wrote:What IS surprising is a fairly late plastic model has "side pegs"

Perhaps, but there were outside 3rd rail enthusiasts still very active when these models were new. The disconnect is a modern Atlas catalog in the photo; decades apart.......
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:25 am

so....I am guessing you've seen one or two of these early Atlas units....maybe even picked one up. Light. Plastic. Imagine the loss of any additional traction by lifting forces of springs on "side pegs". On a doorstop, hey, you'd never notice. But on these? And, yes, I'd seen the catalog and wondered what kind of evilscam that is.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:33 am

ScaleCraft wrote:so....I am guessing you've seen one or two of these early Atlas units....maybe even picked one up. Light. Plastic. Imagine the loss of any additional traction by lifting forces of springs on "side pegs". On a doorstop, hey, you'd never notice. But on these?

I'd bet that these are weighted and modified per the Armstrong article if they also have outside 3rd rail whiskers mounted........but a moot point; nearly anyone using these would be removing those and rewiring back to simple 2 rail pickup.

And, yes, I'd seen the catalog and wondered what kind of evilscam that is.

Probably nothing to do with eBay and more to do with the seller thinking that these are in fact current production models. Perhaps also able to outwit sheep, but that's a different test to apply.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:57 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote: nearly anyone using these would be removing those and rewiring back to simple 2 rail pickup.

Maybe. If a person did their research, first off they'd not buy these. Second, if by some strange fluke they ended up with them, the smart move would be to gut the motors and gears and make them dummies. Opinion.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:22 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote: nearly anyone using these would be removing those and rewiring back to simple 2 rail pickup.

Maybe. If a person did their research, first off they'd not buy these.

Certainly not at the listed price :!:

Second, if by some strange fluke they ended up with them, the smart move would be to gut the motors and gears and make them dummies. Opinion.

Maybe. Depends on what one's running need really is - on my layout they'd be plenty of power as it's designed for trains of 4-6 cars long. But they are also 60-70 years to modern, :lol: :lol: :lol:

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:40 pm

An interesting set with the third rail pick-ups and Lionel B unit shell, still way-way-way too pricey though.
The obligatory broken side frame doesn't obviously help either any more than the (opinion) overly "loud" factory colors.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:25 pm

The obligatory broken side frame....

Part of its charm and authenticity! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:27 pm

Oldguyfromnj has a pair of AHM C-liners that were upgraded with CLW components on ebay:

Ebay #114729282077 - CLW/AHM FM C-Liner - New York Central 4504 - O Scale, 2-Rail (sold for $302)
and
Ebay #114741517155 - Weaver Fairbanks-Morse C-Liner - New York Central 4505 - O Scale, 2-Rail (auction currently underway)

The seller has kindly included six photos of the mechanisms. I'm not familiar with the AHM models so I'm not 100% sure of what I'm seeing, but it appears to me that the builder mounted the CLW mechanism's two parallel rails atop the AHM plastic frame.

The capitalist pig in me admires how the seller broke the pair up and is selling them separately. The winning bidder of the first one now has an incentive to overpay for the second one in order to have a matching pair, while the losing bidders also have the incentive to overpay since they're not likely to see another one for sale anytime soon. :D

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:13 pm

Chris Webster wrote:The capitalist pig in me admires how the seller broke the pair up and is selling them separately. The winning bidder of the first one now has an incentive to overpay for the second one in order to have a matching pair, while the losing bidders also have the incentive to overpay since they're not likely to see another one for sale anytime soon. :D

When you're in business to sell stuff, you do what it takes. :wink: :wink:

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:37 pm

Chris Webster wrote:.....it appears to me that the builder mounted the CLW mechanism's two parallel rails atop the AHM plastic frame.

Been lusting after one of these for a long time. In my searches for them the CPA drive kit (B-A1A) for the AHM C-Liner is more rare than the CFA (B-B) drive kit. And yea they don't come around often at all.
These two CPA's, specifically here as CPA-2400's differ from my CFA pair in that they're built with a single end tower drive each and open K&D motor. Otherwise very clean looking installation though the "needs run-in" advisory suggest noise issues likely around those long drive shafts.
Looks new, good and clean though the wheel surface suggest some run time. Note in building the CPA version that the rear portion of the AHM C-liner underbody skirt/frame has to be cut-away to between the tank and the rear truck accommodate the longer A1A rear truck just like the prototype.

This next one, from my CFA pair, built by the late Arthur Hambrick, differs in that they have tank drives with Pittman Cans in a brass cradle that is tightly fit between the tank portion of the chassis frame, obviously shorter shafts too.
The motor cradle is secured into the tank by lengths of form fitted white metal weights glued into the AHM underbody frame, note he used the factory weights too.
Image As you can see these were extensively weighted up, intended to pull 8-car Walther HW and AN passenger cars, which they have done for the last 20 years quite well.

As an aside the factory AHM shell is for a CPA16-4, which were unique to the CP , though you can easily convert the shells to the more common freight versions by removing the SG bumps on the rear of the car body roof.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:12 am

I recently became a Fairbanks-Morse freak. When these things were $7.50 brand new I had three of them and gave others to girlfriends' kids. If they were still under $20, I might be tempted to do a lost-plastic B-A1A version. But I think I got sated with the Erie-Built saga. All brass and bronze, except for the vinyl cigar band. Intriguing body styles.

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:48 pm

Chris Webster wrote:The capitalist pig in me admires how the seller broke the pair up and is selling them separately. The winning bidder of the first one now has an incentive to overpay for the second one in order to have a matching pair, while the losing bidders also have the incentive to overpay since they're not likely to see another one for sale anytime soon. :D

It worked -- the second one just sold for $403, which is 33% more than what the first one sold for.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”