Whose kit is this

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
up148
Posts: 4756
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:52 am

Whose kit is this

Postby up148 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:44 pm

I got this car in a small group of items I wanted. Don't know anything about it except I saw a lot of similar cars for sale at the MM back in the 90's and passed on them. I'll keep it, but would like to know what I have.

Image

Image

Image

bob turner
Posts: 13647
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: Whose kit is this

Postby bob turner » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:14 pm

Looks like Athearn from here. Quite common, and indistinguishable (almost) from All Nation. I think those Roundhouse couplers came with the kits in the 1950s.

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42164
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: Whose kit is this

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:59 pm

1) If you measure the length of the car from the underside, from the inside of one metal end to the inside of the other metal end, an All-Nation car will measure 10", whereas an Athearn car will measure 10-1/8". This is the same dimension as the car sides.

2) If you open the doors, an Athearn car will have a wood or composition inner wall, whereas an All-Nation car will not.

3) Just below the right end of the lower door slide, the scalloped edge along the bottom of the car side, an All-Nation car will be cut vertically, whereas an Athearn car will be cut at an angle, just like all of the other scalloped edges on both cars. Obviously, a modeler could trim an All-Nation car to look like an Athearn, but an Athearn car would never be made to look like an All-Nation.

4) Along the bottom edge of the roof overhang, along the side of the car, most Athearn cars will have a row of rivets, whereas an All-Nation car will not. Do not confuse this row of rivets with the row of rivets along the top edge of the car side, which both cars have.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

Jay Criswell
Posts: 2003
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:38 pm

Re: Whose kit is this

Postby Jay Criswell » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:36 pm

Looking at a few telltale signs, I'd say that car was built by Will (Si) Simonton. Maybe for Don Miller. He built 100 for Don prior to his passing. They were A-N. But he built Athearn too.

Jay

up148
Posts: 4756
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:52 am

Re: Whose kit is this

Postby up148 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:17 am

Great information and I appreciate the help guys. I'll check it out further this morning, but it has unpainted metal interior walls on the sides. I can see where the ends and roof were attached to wood structure. No idea how difficult these were to build, but it's a nice assembly job. It would be great if it was one of the Si's cars as that would make it special for me.

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42164
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: Whose kit is this

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:05 pm

up148 wrote:No idea how difficult these were to build, but it's a nice assembly job.


Relatively easy, but to do well and above average takes some effort particularly if you are going to install a fully detailed brake system and also upgrade some of the supplied detail parts. Good fun all around and these are still readily available!
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

Jay Criswell
Posts: 2003
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:38 pm

Re: Whose kit is this

Postby Jay Criswell » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:36 pm

Butch,

I'd bet on it. Without going into any details I can assure you he built it. We sat down and talked about some of the things he did differently than others.

Jay

up148
Posts: 4756
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:52 am

Re: Whose kit is this

Postby up148 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:14 am

Excellent! Thanks Jay.


Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 42 guests