Doorstop Diesels

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
bob turner

Doorstop Diesels

Postby bob turner » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:24 am

In a sort of response to those E7s that are popping up on eBay, probably from Steve's collection, I am going to again offer mine. I think my collection started around 30 years ago when Milt Sorenson traded me a pair of Exactas for some trinket or another. I shall start with them - one is brass, the other bronze, and there are slight differences. Both are powered.

If I was doing them today I would solder in an insert and make the windshields a teeny bit smaller. But they match the All Nation F3s pretty good. Yeah, I know the pilots are at the wrong angle.

J. S. Bach

Re: Doorstop Diesels

Postby J. S. Bach » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:15 pm

You once posted a PRR version that I used as my desktop photo for quite a while.

Carey Williams

Postby Carey Williams » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:46 pm

Hello Bob very nice set of Exacta diesels do these have cast noses and molded copper sides and roofs?

If so those are the early set of Exacta engines

the later Exacta are all cast bodies here is a link to see a photo of my A&B set disregard the AA set those are homemade but they do look beautiful

https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/sou ... r-daylight

Thank you
Cheers Carey,

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:52 pm

Milt told me these were the only two that Exacta did with sand cast sides. Milt was one of the original contributors to OSN, and apparently knew the Exacta folks. These units look a lot like the all cast Adams products, which I shall re-post this evening.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:37 pm

The system kicked me out while I was typing! I had to sign in! I always figured they did that when I wasn't looking.

So for Dave I am re-posting my beautiful Adams set. The A unit is brass, with six CLW gearboxes, each truck powered by its own 9434 motor. No U joints. All twelve wheels pick up power, via wipers on the tread. This thing is smooth, and so powerful I could probably use it as a tug at the airport! The B is a dummy, and is cast aluminum, which makes a lot of sense to me. These are quite similar to the two above that Milt said were Exacta.

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:50 pm

Thank you for re-posting.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:52 pm

While I am at it, this one came in the mail. Sides are sheet, with paper glued on to form the bats. Actually very effective, and I sort of approve - but I stripped it and added .010 brass, soldered on. I also moved the windows - next time I am starting over with new .032 brass sides. I keep hoping that the foundry will cast me some really good sides . . .

This is an "after" photo. Apologies for the trucks- I re-gauged my display track after this mess, and now ensure that all wheels are on the track.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:53 pm

You are welcome. Is that the one you want? I can send a higher resolution version through e-mail, and the stripes will not be aliased.

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:54 pm

bob turner wrote:You are welcome. Is that the one you want? I can send a higher resolution version through e-mail, and the stripes will not be aliased.

Thank you. Yes, please do.

webenda

Postby webenda » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:29 am

bob turner wrote:...and now ensure that all wheels are on the track.

Aww, don't do that. Derailed wheels are your signature.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:13 am

You may be right. I was looking for a photo without my shadow and all wheels on the track. Nada . . .

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:32 pm

So here is another - This one is a nose from Bob Stevenson, a roof from my stash of spare castings, and sides of .032 and .010 soldered brass. This was my first attempt at an E7, and it is still my best.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:41 pm

Do like the paint scheme applied to that one.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:45 pm

Thanks. While I am an SP modeler, I think the GN and B&O schemes are the best for E7s. I used Scale Coat and those neat "Pilot" pens. Jim Wilhite made the decals. I miss his help.

I was looking for a photo for Dave, and just realized that the PRR E7 was taken before I realized I needed max pixels. I will take some more, and re-post. The stripes blur in the original. This model deserves better! Besides, it hasn't been off the shelf in a decade, and could use a dusting.

Also realized that I have no photos of my Raymus E7 since I soldered it. I will fix that.

Carey is sending me another PA - it happens that I have a perfect set of sides, and set out to clean them up last night. I think this one will actually polish out better than the GP7, since the sides are slab for the most part. Should be fun. I will still wind up with extra sides and fuel tanks - so whoever comes up with nose castings and a roof could have their very own cast CLW PA. More on PAs next week.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:47 pm

"Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been."

Not quite, but I am light years away from where I was from about 12 to 36 or so - and I like me a lot better this way.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”