https://www.ebay.com/itm/184579289541
Peter
Does this bare any resemblance to the real thing??
-
herronpeter
- Posts: 748
- Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:13 pm
- Location: Clifton Park, NY
- ScaleCraft
- Posts: 6693
- Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm
Re: Does this bare any resemblance to the real thing??
It does bear some resemblance. If you squint your eyes a bit.
Passenger car trucks, looks like a home made power brick, with a Varney H0 style spring belt drive.
Cab should be a bit higher, screens on ends shorter in length, less visible rivets....
Passenger car trucks, looks like a home made power brick, with a Varney H0 style spring belt drive.
Cab should be a bit higher, screens on ends shorter in length, less visible rivets....
Dave....gone by invitation
- ScaleCraft
- Posts: 6693
- Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm
Re: Does this bare any resemblance to the real thing??
https://steeldiamondsblog.files.wordpre ... eje109.jpg
Raised walkway/battery box area wrong. Curves at bottom of cab missing. Roof all wrong.
Like I said, squint your eyes.
Raised walkway/battery box area wrong. Curves at bottom of cab missing. Roof all wrong.
Like I said, squint your eyes.
Dave....gone by invitation
- ScaleCraft
- Posts: 6693
- Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm
Re: Does this bare any resemblance to the real thing??
Finding a prototype photo of roof is rough, so here is a model roof shot:
https://jamestrainparts.files.wordpress ... =768&h=528
https://jamestrainparts.files.wordpress ... =768&h=528
Dave....gone by invitation
- ScaleCraft
- Posts: 6693
- Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm
Re: Does this bare any resemblance to the real thing??
Somebody will buy it.
If not, I'll give Carey ten bucks just to keep anyone from being stuck with it.
If not, I'll give Carey ten bucks just to keep anyone from being stuck with it.
Dave....gone by invitation
- ScaleCraft
- Posts: 6693
- Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm
Re: Does this bare any resemblance to the real thing??
Closer. Baldwin later RT-624. Straight sided cab ends. Raised walkway / battery boxes still wrong:
https://www.american-rails.com/images/PRRRT624.jpg
Trucks are probably more easily sourced.
Top of the hoods still imagination-ware.
https://www.thedieselshop.us/MN&S%2025-MBernard.jpg
This one is more complete, yet still not even close. Couple of Athearn hoods with dynamics, even:
http://cs.trains.com/resized-image.ashx ... 0_1501.JPG
https://www.american-rails.com/images/PRRRT624.jpg
Trucks are probably more easily sourced.
Top of the hoods still imagination-ware.
https://www.thedieselshop.us/MN&S%2025-MBernard.jpg
This one is more complete, yet still not even close. Couple of Athearn hoods with dynamics, even:
http://cs.trains.com/resized-image.ashx ... 0_1501.JPG
Dave....gone by invitation
Re: Does this bare any resemblance to the real thing??
That red thing above does not look anything like a Baldwin.
None of the models are close with the trucks or the hood vents.
Saw the real thing quite often on the PRR in my home area,
None of the models are close with the trucks or the hood vents.
Saw the real thing quite often on the PRR in my home area,
roger
I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH
I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH
Re: Does this bare any resemblance to the real thing??
Naked trains! OMG! Sorry Peter, this is a tough crowd!
Absolutely! They are both rectangular solids! Are all the hatches, vents, rivets, and the rest good enough to satisfy the most paranoid rivet counter? Beats the crap outa me!
It obviously bears enough of a resemblance to a transfer engine that everyone who answered so far recognized the form.
I think there were two (real world) builders that made variations of them, but I could be wrong.
Central Locomotives made a kit, and I have seen one or two. One painted in EJ&I colors looked pretty striking, but at second glance, it was still just a huge box. I suspect it took the styling team at least 30 or 40 seconds to come up with that look.
Keep 'em coming, and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
RICH
Absolutely! They are both rectangular solids! Are all the hatches, vents, rivets, and the rest good enough to satisfy the most paranoid rivet counter? Beats the crap outa me!
It obviously bears enough of a resemblance to a transfer engine that everyone who answered so far recognized the form.
I think there were two (real world) builders that made variations of them, but I could be wrong.
Central Locomotives made a kit, and I have seen one or two. One painted in EJ&I colors looked pretty striking, but at second glance, it was still just a huge box. I suspect it took the styling team at least 30 or 40 seconds to come up with that look.
Keep 'em coming, and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
RICH
Re: Does this bare any resemblance to the real thing??
rogruth wrote:That red thing above does not look anything like a Baldwin.
None of the models are close with the trucks or the hood vents.
Roger, one of the two of us is red-green color blind. It looks green to me.
Re: Does this bare any resemblance to the real thing??
E7, This one looks red to me and I don't have any traffic light problems.ScaleCraft wrote:Closer. Baldwin later RT-624. Straight sided cab ends. Raised walkway / battery boxes still wrong:
https://www.american-rails.com/images/PRRRT624.jpg
Trucks are probably more easily sourced.
Top of the hoods still imagination-ware.
https://www.thedieselshop.us/MN&S%2025-MBernard.jpg
This one is more complete, yet still not even close. Couple of Athearn hoods with dynamics, even:
http://cs.trains.com/resized-image.ashx ... 0_1501.JPG
Last edited by rogruth on Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
roger
I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH
I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH
Re: Does this bare any resemblance to the real thing??
Roger, My bad! I missed that 3rd one, and it sho' nuff is RED. Looks like two GP 7's hit and fused. I don't recall that the transfers had pointy ends like that.
Re: Does this bare any resemblance to the real thing??
E7 wrote:Roger, My bad! I missed that 3rd one, and it sho' nuff is RED. Looks like two GP 7's hit and fused. I don't recall that the transfers had pointy ends like that.
Nor any EMD style dynamic brake blisters.
All fantasy but if a person made one for their fantasy model railroad it should be OK.
That TCA guy Clem should love it since it seems to be in many ways a homey-did.
roger
I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH
I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH
Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 92 guests