LWS Tank kit

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
User avatar
ScaleCraft
Posts: 6693
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm

LWS Tank kit

Postby ScaleCraft » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:03 pm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/o-scale-brass- ... 3794064308

2 bids to 21.50 so far. Get in line!
Dave....gone by invitation

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42165
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: LWS Tank kit

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:05 pm

Include trucks and couplers..........
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
De Bruin
Posts: 988
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: LWS Tank kit

Postby De Bruin » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:34 am

As I type this, the listing has got another day and some hours to go currently at two bids, now at 21 and change.
I'd surprised if it doesn't go for more.
I've been surprised recently to learn as a new seller on Ebay that "virgin" kits often go for as much or more than a moderately decent build of the same model.......and that's a good thing.
Not what I assumed going into it either based on my results from my last sales tables at "meets" "shows" etc.
(you remember those?)
Just saying, given the "prevailing winds" these days, non-intuitive results and yeah throwing in trucks and couplers counts for a lot on your closing price these days too as it should.
Political Consultant- Tap into the hidden powers of your public office, insure your future is jail free, well funded. Visit shock and awe upon your adversaries, dominate the media, thrill your followers. contact morbo@happydaysrhereagain.com

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42165
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: LWS Tank kit

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:15 am

De Bruin wrote:As I type this, the listing has got another day and some hours to go currently at two bids, now at 21 and change.
I'd surprised if it doesn't go for more.


I expect it to as well.

I've been surprised recently to learn as a new seller on Ebay that "virgin" kits often go for as much or more than a moderately decent build of the same model.......and that's a good thing.


Some of these sell extraordinarily well; the A-N Watermelon car and the Walthers Tool & Water car kits command surprisingly high prices

Not what I assumed going into it either based on my results from my last sales tables at "meets" "shows" etc.
(you remember those?)


Strangely, yes.

Just saying, given the "prevailing winds" these days, non-intuitive results and yeah throwing in trucks and couplers counts for a lot on your closing price these days too as it should.


Have you looked at the price of basic stock Athearn trucks lately? :shock:
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

bob turner
Posts: 13648
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: LWS Tank kit

Postby bob turner » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:53 am

I bought one of those from Jan in the 1970s. The domes - stamped PSC I think - were usable. Wrapper was .010, suitable for boiler bands. The rest was scrap.

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42165
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: LWS Tank kit

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:37 pm

Dome in the bag is not a 1 piece casting; probably the Lobaugh one that had to be assembled not unlike as the depicted instructions describe.

Last one of these I had was 0.030" brass and plenty heavy.

LWS was "variable" on materials and depending on when produced, dubious on being possible to assemble at all.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

bob turner
Posts: 13648
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: LWS Tank kit

Postby bob turner » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:17 pm

.030? Even postwar Lobaugh is not that thick. I will check the prewar. Maybe he sawed a bar rail for some of the kits.
Jan was a friend. His kits did not match his intellect and general friendliness, let alone his knowledge base.

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42165
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: LWS Tank kit

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:21 pm

bob turner wrote:.030? Even postwar Lobaugh is not that thick. I will check the prewar. Maybe he sawed a bar rail for some of the kits.
Jan was a friend. His kits did not match his intellect and general friendliness, let alone his knowledge base.


Probably plumbing leftovers. I have at least one tank car that is 0.060" brass and another of 0.060" copper. They roll down hill really nice, :mrgreen:
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42165
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: LWS Tank kit

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:22 am

Sold for $32.79
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.


Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 146 guests