somebody is nutz in Georgia

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: somebody is nutz in Georgia

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:22 pm

Just arrived from Trainz.....

Wadded up brown paper around a box with a trolley in it's box totally unsecured -- it's bounced it's way around inside the whole trip. As soon as I picked up the box I could feel it move and shift in my hand - not good.

Seems that the axle for main gear transfer off the worm popped out of its knurling anchor in the side array of spur gears. Got it back together, but no idea if it will hold......
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:25 pm

Oh, dear....no....I'll pass......
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:31 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:Oh, dear....no....I'll pass......

Well, why would you be interested anyway? Unless there's been an recorded radical change, your interest in O scale 2 rail traction is less than zero.

I used to sell kits that mounted to these drives; still have the parts and molds on the shelf.....

Anyway, probably fixed. Given that I bought it just for the drive and that those used to sell for about 5x's what this cost me w/o the body, I'll make do for the project I have in mind.

Point here was that the shipping is just as lousy as the quality of the rest of their listings regardless of a decent exterior box (reusable :D ), and wadded up brown paper (save for fireplace :D ).
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:51 pm

nothing to do with that. Rather a commentary on Trainz and such.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:39 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:nothing to do with that. Rather a commentary on Trainz and such.

Well now that's just ticketyboo.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:50 pm

Seems to me, with the thread as it is, an the issues of Trainz misrepresenting items, piXX poor photo, asking (BIN only) absurd prices, AND the shipping issues....must be something really special to have to actually order from them.

At least you aren't surprised with the outcome.

It's all about profit, it seems. Fool the buyer (like the GG-1) by mis-stating what's there (and even one of our august members asked...and the answer was pure Georgia Horse Poo), poor quality photos, and once the mark is hooked, just throw it in a box and spend no more money on proper packaging.

Good enough?

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:18 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:It's all about profit, it seems.

Unchecked capitalism rules. It's immoral to let a sucker keep his money, :wink: :wink:

robert.

Postby robert. » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:42 pm

You can contact trainz. They might give you 10 bucks back for fixing it. Then again you may find that spending 5 hours trying to get somebody there. just is not worth the 10 bucks. :mrgreen:
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:19 pm

robert. wrote: just is not worth the 10 bucks. :mrgreen:

Exactly. Given I'm going to rip it all apart and use the drive for 1 project and the body for another, it doesn't impact me all that much. :wink: :wink: Others, maybe more.... :roll:

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:34 pm

For what it's worth, you can contact TrainZ after purchasing something that needs careful packing like a locomotive or a powered car body like this Birney and request an over-pack and interior carton and............they'll ignore it and ship something like Rufus's package.
Apparently again I've been lucky so far with them this year. I don't have a choice anyway as they no longer allow local will call due to covid, and to boot they had started charging a handling fee for will calls before eliminating them entirely.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:48 pm

De Bruin wrote: and to boot they had started charging a handling fee for will calls before eliminating them entirely.

all about the dollar, right? Can't make their big bucks for their expert packaging and shipping, so charge you to bypass their cash cow.

If they had a 700E new in the box with tender for fifty bucks and free shipping, I'd laugh and ignore them.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:53 pm

They were only like 20 minutes away from my old office or 40 minutes from the house too sigh......
:(
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:24 am

De Bruin wrote:They were only like 20 minutes away from my old office or 40 minutes from the house too sigh......
:(

and they probably lost a lot of sales with folks stopping by to pick stuff up and actually seeing what was being offered instead of the crappy photographs....

robert.

Postby robert. » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:29 am

It has become increasingly difficult to pick up from auction houses. So much so i may eliminate that part of my business. Auction houses are so busy right know with sales. Yet the want you to schedule a half hour window for pick up. This makes it impossible to deal with more than one a day. I can no longer go into an area and do a handful of pick ups. 2 larger shippers in my line of work have closed up for this exact reason.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:52 pm

De Bruin wrote: don't have a choice anyway as they no longer allow local will call due to covid, and to boot they had started charging a handling fee for will calls before eliminating them entirely.

They've been doing in person pickup again since September -- when your order is ready they send an email with a link to schedule a pickup time.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”