Machine Shop / Locomotive Drive Work

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
up148

Re: Machine Shop / Locomotive Drive Work

Postby up148 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:19 am

Chris Webster wrote:Bill Davis has a repowered OMI C630 up for auction:
Ebay #353168949961, BRASS O Overland Reading C-630 Low Hood C/P NO RESERVE

Bill's auctions always have nice photos; this listing includes two pictures of the mechanism. I presume the repowering must have been done by Stew Kleinschmitt since the mechanism has two motors, a clutch and a massive flywheel.

Wow, that drive is a monster for maintenance.

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:10 am

up148 wrote:Wow, that drive is a monster for maintenance.

It ended up selling for $577.89, which is probably less than what an unmodified & unpainted model would have sold for.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:16 pm

There's a lesson there. Some folks want stuff un-messed with.
That one...I dunno. Safety wire on rubber hose? And didn't even balance it with a 180 split? And a clutch, if that's what it is? Never seen those work well enough to warrant the installation thereof.
Pull the clutch and flywheel, put the flywheel where the clutch was, remove the extra gearbox, and you probably would have something useful. Or if it's not a clutch, pull the flywheel, turn it down to fit the space and move it. Get rid of the extra motor.
But not for me, regardless.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:22 pm

I've had to do something like that to one of these drives, but only because the previous owner, and some subsequent attempts at repairing it had failed.
I know first hand these drives as delivered were fantastically good in operation, and a lot of fun but yeah, maintenance intensive, and unless MU'd with like drives didn't play well with others.
Me like anyway.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:43 pm

I have had personal experience with motor line balance.I see the twist on the safety wire all on one side, I cringe. I see the couplers on the end of the motor with a screw head on one side, I worry. The vertical gearboxes, I can't imagine those are quiet with two of them, but who knows. Seems like a whole lot of overkill.
What does one gain with two motors set up like that, other than maybe low current handling on each motor and it keeps from burning them up? Or are they six volt motors in series?

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:41 pm

I am considering trying one of these Faulhaber motors in a repowering project:
FAULHABER DC 12V Motor 2342L012CR
Any suggestions on (1) how to get the gear off the shaft without damaging the motor (2) how to get the motor out of the plastic housing it seems to glued in?

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:21 pm

Cutting torch?
"Supply chain QA specimens never used for HALT/HASS or electrical testing. QA study found minor dimensional/ cosmetic deviations that caused lot to be rejected prior to installation. Otherwise, excellent condition.

Seller will electrically bench test under nominal voltage, no-load, conditions prior to shipment. However, item(s) are sold as is, no warranty conferred or implied."

I'd be more concerned about the current thermal limits:
1.5A thermal limit

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:00 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:I'd be more concerned about the current thermal limits:
1.5A thermal limit

I think those are the same motors at the Faulhabers that Jay sometimes uses, but without the gearhead.

I'm also not concerned about the minor deviations because other sellers have non-rejected ones for sale.

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:25 pm

The 2342 is a nice little motor. I use them in small steam. I think the last one was in a Kemtron Wabash Mogul. Very powerful and quiet. Nope, no gear head. Really short 3mm output shaft on the backside. If you add a flywheel it needs to be pressed on carefully. The longer shaft is closer to 2mm and will need a bushing for most anything we do in 1/48.

Originally I bought a box of 50 and ruined about half when trying to remove the gear. The ball bearings didn't like the abuse. Rod Miller provided and one of those teaching moments for me and taught me how to press the off without damaging anything but the gear.

First one went in a Westside SP 4-8-0 and the corresponding motor mount worked so well I had a master made and now have them cast up in brass. Two to four screws hold the mount to the frame and a single set screw holds the motor in the tubular mount.

The price is about middle of the road. I think I bought the last batch of three for a little over $100 on ebay.

All in all, a far superior motor to anything else in it's size range.

If you buy one and want to try it out feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

I tried to add some photos but was allowed to. I'll go do the photobucket thingy and do it that way.

SP TW-8 with the 2342 Faulhaber, NWSL gearbox and all new drivers. Done years ago. Shown mostly so you can see the motor mount.

Jay

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:20 pm

I think of Jay Criswell as "famous" for his use of 1:1 gearboxes in the diesel power trucks that he fabricates and installs as a central feature of his locomotive drive business. Helical gears are employed for this type of setup. I want to say that OMI or some upscale manufacturer offered this type of gearbox at one time or another, but I wouldn't swear to it and I sure don't know any details. I mention this because a friend of mine had this interesting set of power trucks -- equipped with 1:1 helical gears -- as part of his parts collection.

Anybody recognize them? I can't even think what kind of prototype they would be from -- maybe something from Europe or Japan?

Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:16 pm

Jim,

They came with the Heisler West Side imported years ago. The models came with standard O Scale & On3 trucks. There was a gearbox inside the cab that dropped the o/a ratio. The biggest problem. literally, was the model was built to 1/43 instead of 1/48. Looked kind of odd for a Heisler to dwarf a full sized Shay.

Jay

E7

Postby E7 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:37 pm

The GE 45 Tonner had a similar arrangement:

https://railequipmentsolutions.com/wp-c ... 0388_1.jpg

Also the Heisler geared logger:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Heisler ... 4AK6Kf6OVM

I hadn't seen Jay's post, but I was thinking of the Westside model, as I had one for a brief time! I don't remember them having square "nubs" on the rods like like the ones in Jim's pictures, but it' was a good while back!

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:14 pm

Thank you, Gentlemen -- Well done. Geared-locomotives are not a major interest of mine so I never considered them as a possibility. The wheel size is bigger than what I would expect of an industrial switch engine so I discounted them. I was mostly trying to think of some early electric locomotive. The chassis on those were often built by Alco or some other steam locomotive manufacturer, so the use of large drivers and side-rods was somewhat common.

Jim

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:01 pm

If he's going to toss them out, toss them in a box to me! :mrgreen:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:33 am

My workshop has been packed up for some months now while I wait for my new shop building to get built. Progress has been slow for a number of reasons, but they finally poured the pier-and-beam foundation last week:

I did manage to locate my mill to a place where I could actually use it, and this week I re-started the project to modify a CLW cast PA to the configuration used by the T&NO (SP in Texas). The next step was to mill the oval-shaped exhaust stack:

A smoke lifter will be added after all milling is complete. Here is what it looks like on a HO brass model:

Note also the roof walk across the fan. That will get added as well.

As mentioned, there is some milling still to do, but first I'm going to reflow some iffy solder joints around the nose as a precautionary measure. Bob T. has encouraged me to add some doublers to these joints, so that's in the plan as well.

Jim

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”