LarryK

Re: MMW SD45

Postby LarryK » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:36 pm

Swords or pistols?
No Comment!

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:23 pm

E7 wrote:Not to seem adversarial and purely for the sake of discussion, why do you say that?
Someone could start with one of these $1,100+ Oriental Limited models, pay Erik to replace the drive and add his lighting package, then pay someone else to install an ESU sound decoder and Tang Bang speakers. They would end up spending about as much as the MMW models are supposed to cost, but they still would not have a model as finely detailed as the MMW (based upon the shells Erik displayed at the March Meet.)

Personally, I'm not buying any MMW diesels -- I'm perfectly content with the CLWs I have, so the Oriental Limiteds are more than good enough for me! -- but I still find Erik's efforts inspiring and wish him well.

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:17 am

Thank you Chris! Makes perfect sense to me!

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:18 am

LarryK wrote:Swords or pistols?

Snowballs in July!

LarryK

Postby LarryK » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:10 pm

E7 wrote:
LarryK wrote:Swords or pistols?

Snowballs in July!

:lol: :lol:
No Comment!

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:43 pm

Chris Webster wrote:
Chris Webster wrote:MMW's price doesn't seem so high when compared to this Oriental SD-45 that recently sold on ebay for $1,356.00:
Ebay #233425829897, Oriental EMD SD-45 3600 HP LOW HOOD STANDARD SP SOUTHERN PACIFIC 1208 62X15 1208

Same observation as last month, applied to this Oriental SD45T-2 that just sold on ebay for $1,110.95:
Ebay #233452684627, SSW SD 45T-2 3600 HP COTTON BELT 9158 LETTERED UNIT ORIENTAL LIMITED SD-45T 1205

And an Overland SD40T-2 sold on Saturday for $1,632.00:
eBay #233558499582, OMI OVERLAND MODELS SP D&RGW SD40-T 5412 SOUTHERN PACIFIC VINTAGE SD40T-2 O

E7

Postby E7 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:04 am

Chris, What makes it really difficult to compare is the fact that some of these models exist, and some don't.....yet! My logic would say that SO FAR the existing stuff wins because to date the MMW stuff is in the category of the Emperor's new clothes. Until you can sit one beside the other, you can't really compare them. The good news (for me) is my interest is only academic, their appeal to me is somewhat less than zero. Still fun to talk about them.

Rich

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:59 pm

http://midwesternmodelworks.com/
Current project – SD45 and related locomotives (reservations for the SD45 project are now closed – delivery scheduling information will be posted soon)

So.....no current dates on the website.....posted soon?

http://midwesternmodelworks.com/general-news/

Promised 7 months ago updated delivery dates will be posted.

No place on any of his webpages accessible to the general public are delivery dates of this ghostware shown.

Pre-production samples, yeah, seen that before, but does anybody actually HAVE one?

I keep seeing links to other manufacturers and how the MMW will be cheaper, better, more accurate......but again, does someone have one of these?

This from a bit over a year ago:
"The fact of the matter is that due to delays and a lot disingenuous promises, I terminated relations with my former builder while in Korea last June. I had also set up meetings with others before the trip so that I might move somewhat seamlessly to another situation that might make my efforts less stressful and more productive. The end result is that I have opened my own facility in Korea and have hired my own staff as employees instead of having a builder."

Now, the quoting of Oriental 45's is somewhat misleading. Haven't found firm data on actual costings of the MMW 45, but this from another forum on MMW SD-40 costings sort of torpedoes the MMW cost advantage. Sort of Kohs range:

"When MMW first announced the SD 40-2s the base model was 2800K and the "connoisseur" model at 4200k. I would not be surprised to see those numbers trend upward if the models ultimately go into production."

Base model double Oriental, "connoisseur" not quite four times Oriental....of course we're comparing 40 and 45, but anybody have similar quotable data on the MMW SD 45?
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

E7

Postby E7 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:28 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:http://midwesternmodelworks.com/
Current project – SD45 and related locomotives (reservations for the SD45 project are now closed – delivery scheduling information will be posted soon)

So.....no current dates on the website.....posted soon?

http://midwesternmodelworks.com/general-news/

Promised 7 months ago updated delivery dates will be posted.

No place on any of his webpages accessible to the general public are delivery dates of this ghostware shown.

Pre-production samples, yeah, seen that before, but does anybody actually HAVE one?

Read the thread in the above link for a lot of comments!

I keep seeing links to other manufacturers and how the MMW will be cheaper, better, more accurate......but again, does someone have one of these?

This from a bit over a year ago:
"The fact of the matter is that due to delays and a lot disingenuous promises, I terminated relations with my former builder while in Korea last June. I had also set up meetings with others before the trip so that I might move somewhat seamlessly to another situation that might make my efforts less stressful and more productive. The end result is that I have opened my own facility in Korea and have hired my own staff as employees instead of having a builder."

Now, the quoting of Oriental 45's is somewhat misleading. Haven't found firm data on actual costings of the MMW 45, but this from another forum on MMW SD-40 costings sort of torpedoes the MMW cost advantage. Sort of Kohs range:

"When MMW first announced the SD 40-2s the base model was 2800K and the "connoisseur" model at 4200k. I would not be surprised to see those numbers trend upward if the models ultimately go into production."

Base model double Oriental, "connoisseur" not quite four times Oriental....of course we're comparing 40 and 45, but anybody have similar quotable data on the MMW SD 45?

The earliest posts under the "General News" tab have been deleted, but I looked a while back and the earliest postings (which have since been removed) were dated sometime in 2011. Here is a link to the OGR board where they are discussing MMW dated 2012:

https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/mid ... ly-members
Last edited by E7 on Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

E7

Postby E7 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:52 pm

[quote="ScaleCraft"shown.

I keep seeing links to other manufacturers and how the MMW will be cheaper, better, more accurate......but again, does someone have one of these? [/quote]

NOT to the best of my knowledge, but note that I am NOT a reservation holder, and NOT privy to any special/inside knowledge.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:48 am

Catch this in the OGER thread?
Snow claims the Fresno boys co-opted his drive. They look similar. Ed

Wonder which Fresno Boys he's referring to?
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:02 am

Have to ask Ed the Brasman! Haven't heard anything of Jerry Snow in quite a while. He used to sell on Feebay.

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:08 am

I haven't seen Jerry's post. I'll have to take a look.

Without reading it, I can say there's probably some truth to it.

Once I read it I will respond.

Jay

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:11 am

Dave,

Can you provide a link or tell me where Jerry posted on OGR?

Jay

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:20 am

................how the MMW will be cheaper, better, more accurate......

Cheaper? Unlikely. Although cheaper than what?
Better? Than what? Somewhat subjective as well....
More accurate? Okay, possible, I suppose.

What's the balance point between cost and accuracy, and then actual layout operational? I saw the pre(?)-production model in Chicago 13 months ago. Looked exquisite and like something that I'd never want to handle out of fear of damaging something with my fat fingers.

Been how many years now?

........I am NOT a reservation holder, and NOT privy to any special/inside knowledge.

Same.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”