Inclined Cylinder

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
User avatar
R.K. Maroon
Posts: 3136
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:20 pm

Inclined Cylinder

Postby R.K. Maroon » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:08 pm

A friend of mine is looking for an inclined cylinder for a 4-4-0, 4-4-2, or similarly sized locomotive. The only one I have ever seen listed in a catalog is an inclined version of the All Nation cylinder for their 4-4-0. This was offered not by All Nation but later by Babbitt. I believe it might have been urethane, but I have never seen one. I would have thought that others might have offered something similar at one time but I have no evidence that anybody ever did.

If anybody has one they would be willing to part with at fair price, or if anybody knows of any other sources or leads, please let me know.

And here, for fun, is C&NW Atlantic 1015 (at some museum preserved, me thinks):

Image

Now that's inclined!

Thanks
Jim
The link below any photo will display the image full size

User avatar
ScaleCraft
Posts: 6693
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Inclined Cylinder

Postby ScaleCraft » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:49 pm

Contact Garberson. I traded mine for a stock A-N cast cylinder.
Dave....gone by invitation

User avatar
webenda
Posts: 15413
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:05 pm
Location: Columbia

Re: Inclined Cylinder

Postby webenda » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:54 pm

Maroon,

Those are not inclined cylinders, these Hackworth cylinders on No. 25 Derwent are inclined cylinders.

Image
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

User avatar
R.K. Maroon
Posts: 3136
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: Inclined Cylinder

Postby R.K. Maroon » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:37 pm

Wayne, quit confusing the issue with the facts. :|
The link below any photo will display the image full size

bob turner
Posts: 13647
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: Inclined Cylinder

Postby bob turner » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:28 pm

Yeah. All you have to do for inclined cylinders is add a shim. But these have a special name, and I cannot remember what it is. Check the Stauffer PRR Steam book - E3 Atlantic. Inside admission?

And yeah - the resin ones are the only ones I am aware of. Making cylinder blocks is not difficult, and really trivial if you have a lathe.

User avatar
R.K. Maroon
Posts: 3136
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: Inclined Cylinder

Postby R.K. Maroon » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:02 pm

Photos of an O-scale inclined cylinder assembly have appeared:

Image

Image

This are believed to be All Nation. It appears from inspection that one could indeed make one of these (or something close enough) by modifying a regular cylinder assembly. I will see if I can get measurements.

Jim
The link below any photo will display the image full size

User avatar
rogruth
Posts: 24452
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:32 pm
Location: pembroke,ga

Re: Inclined Cylinder

Postby rogruth » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:50 pm

The cylinder configuration in the first photo above is used with inside Stephenson valve gear.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

bob turner
Posts: 13647
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: Inclined Cylinder

Postby bob turner » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:52 pm

Finally tried to find proper nomenclature. Best I could do is p.70 of Carleton's PRR Steam Second Look - he calls them "slanted piston valve" cylinders.


Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 80 guests