Atlas Warehouse Sale

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
DaveJfr0
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 5:22 pm
Location: MD
Contact:

Atlas Warehouse Sale

Postby DaveJfr0 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:54 pm

Not sure how much 2R O scale will be there, but I figured you all should know about this:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/atlas-ware ... 9776466289

I can't go as I'll be down in Atlanta, otherwise I would have went and photographed the event for others to see.

Also, if anyone here goes and sees parts (or maybe a shell that has the parts) for the underbody of an Atlas O 60' Auto Parts boxcar for around $10, I could use the underbody parts. (http://archive.atlasrr.com/ORS/arc-oautoparts.htm)

I had gotten one of these cars used at I think the 2018 SONC and didn't do my due diligence inspecting the car and its missing all of the plastic braces, brake gear, and bolster section that is required to look plausible and allow trucks to be fastened to the car. Considering the ubiquity of AtlasO at low cost with all of the estates, etc. it shouldn't be too hard to find what I need in the future if this avenue doesn't pan out.
Focus: 2R O-Scale, SOU/SCL 1967-1972
Blog: http://davejfr0.blogspot.com/

E7
Posts: 8397
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 am

Re: Atlas Warehouse Sale

Postby E7 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:20 pm

Looks like Deja Vu all over again. Wasn't this posted once before?

DaveJfr0
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 5:22 pm
Location: MD
Contact:

Re: Atlas Warehouse Sale

Postby DaveJfr0 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:47 am

They cancelled the prior one because of poor choice of calendar date (probable bad snowy weather) and complaints that the tickets sold out too quick.
Focus: 2R O-Scale, SOU/SCL 1967-1972
Blog: http://davejfr0.blogspot.com/

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42161
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: Atlas Warehouse Sale

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:22 am

DaveJfr0 wrote:They cancelled the prior one because of poor choice of calendar date (probable bad snowy weather) and complaints that the tickets sold out too quick.


Had not heard that. Interesting, but it is for all scales, so I can see that a mob scene might be possible. Great way to clear out the clutter in the warehouse, :wink:
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

DaveJfr0
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 5:22 pm
Location: MD
Contact:

Re: Atlas Warehouse Sale

Postby DaveJfr0 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:53 pm

Here was Atlas' reasoning back on Nov 21, 2018:

Due to an overwhelming response for available tickets, and a concern for inclement winter weather, Atlas is postponing the planned Warehouse Sale until 2019. When the new date is announced, individuals who have ordered tickets for the previous event will be emailed with the opportunity to get tickets first. Once that special ordering period is over, remaining tickets (if any) will be made available to the rest of the Atlas Insiders Email List.
Focus: 2R O-Scale, SOU/SCL 1967-1972
Blog: http://davejfr0.blogspot.com/

DaveJfr0
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 5:22 pm
Location: MD
Contact:

Re: Atlas Warehouse Sale

Postby DaveJfr0 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:54 pm

I'm guessing there will be an HO mob. I suppose I should figure out how to cancel my ticket so someone else can go in case it gets "sold out" again.
Focus: 2R O-Scale, SOU/SCL 1967-1972
Blog: http://davejfr0.blogspot.com/

User avatar
robert.
Posts: 6010
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:24 am

Re: Atlas Warehouse Sale

Postby robert. » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:21 am

Strange how tickets can sell out on a poor calendar date. Its a great marketing ploy. Create fear that everything will be gone before I get there. Postpone it for a year and let more people buy at regular price.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

E7
Posts: 8397
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 am

Re: Atlas Warehouse Sale

Postby E7 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:06 pm

Nowhere is it written that attendance is mandatory.

If I lived within a 1/2 hr. drive maybe. Too far, too uncertain.

DaveJfr0
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 5:22 pm
Location: MD
Contact:

Re: Atlas Warehouse Sale

Postby DaveJfr0 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:40 am

I missed the one in October, but I made the second one last weekend. Here's my trip report.

https://davejfr0.blogspot.com/2019/12/m ... -sale.html
Focus: 2R O-Scale, SOU/SCL 1967-1972
Blog: http://davejfr0.blogspot.com/

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42161
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: Atlas Warehouse Sale

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:26 am

Thanks, Dave.

So, did you find it useful to attend other than as a nice day's outing?
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

DaveJfr0
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 5:22 pm
Location: MD
Contact:

Re: Atlas Warehouse Sale

Postby DaveJfr0 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:31 pm

Useful?

Other than education, not necessarily for me, but if someone lived nearby and was willing to take some time to look for something they could use, then it could be. Lots of others definitely found goodies to take home with them. IMHO, it would have been better if they also gave a scheduled tour of their facility that coincided with the sale.

If you took out the friends aspect of Strasburg show, it could be similar. You go not knowing what is there and sometimes you walk away with something you can use. Although rare, I have left Strasburg empty handed before, but its always good to see everyone, especially some folks who we are still lucky we have among us.
Focus: 2R O-Scale, SOU/SCL 1967-1972
Blog: http://davejfr0.blogspot.com/

Chris Webster
Posts: 944
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 8:25 pm

Re: Atlas Warehouse Sale

Postby Chris Webster » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:03 pm

Thank you for posting, the pictures are really interesting. I was surprised by that they were selling N and HO stuff without trucks (since they only have one choice of trucks in those scales.)

Your concluded your post by mentioning your 11 minute ride on the Q train.... assuming that was your ride home, how the heck do you have room for O scale?

DaveJfr0
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 5:22 pm
Location: MD
Contact:

Re: Atlas Warehouse Sale

Postby DaveJfr0 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:47 am

All of those bodies without trucks were meant as spares to be used for parts, thus no trucks or even boxes in most cases.

You are right, average people do not have a Mrs. Maisel-sized apartment. I could actually fit a switching layout in my current apartment, but I have storage and the beginnings of a layout elsewhere that I keep everything I bought before I moved to the city. The plan is to stay here a little bit, enjoy the city, build up my career a bit more, and then figure out the rest of life later, whether back down near DC, or in a house in greater NYC that would allow me my own layout, but at the expense of a shitty commute.

Otherwise, there are a few clubs I could join and run my stuff at, but only one of them has partial DCC capability and both are sort of a PITA to get to from the city. (90 minutes each way via bus or train) (NYSME or Stamford Clubs)

Guess I should start playing the lotto again, so I can make my decision easier.
Focus: 2R O-Scale, SOU/SCL 1967-1972
Blog: http://davejfr0.blogspot.com/

E7
Posts: 8397
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 am

Re: Atlas Warehouse Sale

Postby E7 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:01 pm

Dave,

Thanks for the interesting report and all the great pics. Not anything I will ever go to just because of logistics (gasoline + time), but interesting to hear about.

Rich


Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 76 guests