And now for something completely different

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
E7

And now for something completely different

Postby E7 » Mon May 21, 2018 3:24 pm

2railjon

Re: And now for something completely different

Postby 2railjon » Mon May 21, 2018 3:33 pm

They didn’t spare any expense on the detail. Not my cup of tea but very nice pieces.
Running that red block Charlie.

E7

Postby E7 » Mon May 21, 2018 10:51 pm

2railjon wrote:They didn’t spare any expense on the detail. Not my cup of tea but very nice pieces.

One of the few modern engines I find appealing (obviously a beauty is in the eye of the beholder thing), but I think they are a tad overpriced. Make that a large TAD. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rich

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue May 22, 2018 7:39 am

Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

rex desilets

Postby rex desilets » Tue May 22, 2018 10:10 am

Thought about bidding on the set, but it doesn't have enough cars, the livery is out of date, and the shipping cost is excessive. :shock:
Then I poured a stiff drink and decided I'd stay married. :lol:
“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” – John Adams

E7

Postby E7 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:00 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
E7 wrote:.......... I think they are a tad overpriced.

Maybe....... 4 cars and 2 engines that I admittedly know noting about running qualities, but that I have also never seen assembled before into a train. How common or scarce a set is this? What's the real demand for them?

Overpriced is based on the idea that I have seen the engines go for circa $1000-$1200. Give 2 of them top value at $2400 and that leaves $2600 for four cars, so $650 a pop, which is (I think) pricey. OTOH, find another set!

I've only seen one other set of cars (as best I recall) on Feebay and I don't remember the tariff, but I think it was up there pretty good. Not sure what the production numbers were, but I don't see the "O" scale ones that often. They were also made in HO and N scales. Can't speculate on the demand, though I think they make a nice looking train if you are into more modern stuff. As with ALL this stuff, it's obviously personal preference!

No idea what they went for new.

Rich

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Tue May 22, 2018 10:14 pm

Actually Rich, when you itemize it out like that it indeed doesn't seem as bad. My initial reaction was good luck with that starting bid.
Neat set, anyone have any familiarity with the OMI P42 model's running characteristics ?
Another question, are these cars the only scale length Superliner models in 1:48, they're nice looking.
Note this is the seller's sole MR listing, appears to be primarily a jewelry dealer.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

E7

Postby E7 » Wed May 23, 2018 12:44 am

De Bruin wrote:Actually Rich, when you itemize it out like that it indeed doesn't seem as bad. My initial reaction was good luck with that starting bid.
Neat set, anyone have any familiarity with the OMI P42 model's running characteristics ?
Another question, are these cars the only scale length Superliner models in 1:48, they're nice looking.
Note this is the seller's sole MR listing, appears to be primarily a jewelry dealer.

Pete,

Reading your above post and thinking about the recent Key cab forward selling for $7500, I tend to agree with you. I'm guessing they ran/run OK because their builder, the late lamented Ajin Precision (now morphed into A Train) had been in the game quite a while by the time they were produced. I don't recall Overland's newer stuff getting much bad press, but I can't comment with any degree of veracity one way or another. That said, I agree with you, they are a good looking set. Sadly, I don't see the 5 grand materializing, so I won't be able to give a road test report. Not sure if anyone else did them, but I feel pretty safe saying these are likely the nicest.

Rich

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Sat May 26, 2018 1:04 pm

De Bruin wrote:Actually Rich, when you itemize it out like that it indeed doesn't seem as bad. My initial reaction was good luck with that starting bid.

No personal experience with OMI P42s, but I would expect them to run well based upon the OMI-0457 on the box end. OMI switched to tower drives somewhere around 0400, so an 0457 should have a tower drive in it.
De Bruin wrote:Another question, are these cars the only scale length Superliner models in 1:48, they're nice looking.

I think so, but Golden Gate did ATSF El Cap cars which are scale length and quite similar to Superliners (if you overlook all the detail differences. :D )

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:18 pm

E7 wrote:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amtrak-Superliner-by-Overland/153026216527?hash=item23a112c24f:g:yZUAAOSwMD5a~ayd

The item, a pair of Overland Amtrak P42s and four Overland Superliner cars, did not sell and was relisted.... four separate times. On the fourth relisting, two different bidders suddenly took interest and bid it up to $5600, plus another $300 for shipping:Ebay #153067056947, Amtrak Superliner by Overland

E7

Postby E7 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:56 pm

They ran for a week without a bid. Wish I had 5K! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:59 am

Kudos to the seller, the original asking at $5K doesn't seem that crazy now in light of that sales total.
Wow.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:44 pm

The seller has relisted the set: Ebay #153087877501, Amtrak Superliner by Overland

E7

Postby E7 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:00 pm

Chris Webster wrote:The seller has relisted the set: Ebay #153087877501, Amtrak Superliner by Overland

Thought they had sold for $5600?????? I see that is the new starting bid, NOT 5K??????? I COULDN'T AFFORD 5K! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:04 pm

Interesting.
First offering shows "zero" bids at 5K. No history of any bids.

Conspiracy theory.....shills or big-bucks buyers backed out when reality set in?
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”