Why things don't get delivered by the USPS

Discussions About Items on eBay and Online Auctions
robert.

Re: Why things don't get delivered by the USPS

Postby robert. » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:24 pm

It appears that the USPS is avoiding Philadelphia's 30 th street station postal facility. My out going packages get tracked to Lancaster after they leave town. My incoming packages arrive in Lancaster Pa. before they hit my local post office. In the past packages would go From my local to philly then leave the state Or arrive in philly then head to my local.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:19 pm

I just won an item from Brassmonger in WI, it got delivered a day earlier (four days from win to mailbox) than the tracking indicated that it would. Sometimes the system actually works well.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:15 am

I just got some stuff from north of Baltimore. Was supposed to be here Mon and then vanished off the tracking - going into Baltimore seems to be part of the problem. Then 3 days later the tracking info got updated and the delivery date changed to out for delivery. Still, not terribly bad. Does seem that there are still several sorting centers that are problem spots where stuff just stops moving. I'm hearing that there's a center in NC that particularly bad still.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:35 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote: ...snip... I'm hearing that there's a center in NC that particularly bad still.

Charlotte is not too bad but Greenville does have some problems.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:22 am

J. S. Bach wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote: ...snip... I'm hearing that there's a center in NC that particularly bad still.

Charlotte is not too bad but Greenville does have some problems.

That's one I was hearing about from the guys in NC that I know. USPS Black Hole of NC.....
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:49 am

Probably not a good sign:

Feb 26, 2021
1:29pm

PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
UNKNOWN, 84198

robert.

Postby robert. » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:39 pm

I started using Fedex. You can buy shipping through eBay . If it is for an item sold on eBay. They offer something called smart post. Runs about the same price as priority mail. It comes with up to $100 insurance. Fedex will deliver it to the buyer's nearest post office and hand it off. Then the local postman delivers it to the house. You can drop Fedex shipments off in lots of businesses.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:39 am

robert. wrote:Fedex will deliver it to the buyer's nearest post office and hand it off. Then the local postman delivers it to the house.

And there's where problems begin......I've had that hand off be exactly where a package comes to a screaming halt and sit.

robert.

Postby robert. » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:43 am

Post office is back to slo-mo. 3 things i mailed out are now struck in 30th street center for the 15th day.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:28 am

We don't seem to have these problems in our small Georgia town. Actually a city by Georgia law.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:15 am

rogruth wrote:We don't seem to have these problems in our small Georgia town. Actually a city by Georgia law.

I'm not seeing them around here either. Local 1st class mail is taking 3-5 days; packages and mailings to me from just about everywhere CONUS is getting here at the usual time.

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:28 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
robert. wrote:Fedex will deliver it to the buyer's nearest post office and hand it off. Then the local postman delivers it to the house.

And there's where problems begin......I've had that hand off be exactly where a package comes to a screaming halt and sit.

I haven't noticed that so much, but I don't receive that much that originates from UPS and Fedex. The only real anomaly I have noticed lately is some "interesting" routes between origin and ending. The larger centers are always going to be prone to problems because of sheer NUMBERS.

Not all that much that I receive that really matters how quickly I get it. I only care that it arrives in one piece.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Mon May 31, 2021 12:40 pm

First-class one-ounce postage going up to fifty-eight cents, effective sometime this summer. Apparently they will be “codifying” slower mail delivery schedules and laying off a bunch of mid-level management. Nothing like raising prices while reducing service...

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Mon May 31, 2021 3:27 pm

healey36 wrote:First-class one-ounce postage going up to fifty-eight cents, effective sometime this summer. Apparently they will be “codifying” slower mail delivery schedules and laying off a bunch of mid-level management. Nothing like raising prices while reducing service...

Some have claimed that there is not any really important mail anymore that needs quick delivery, E-mail and other electronic forms have made older forms un-needed.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon May 31, 2021 3:29 pm

healey36 wrote:First-class one-ounce postage going up to fifty-eight cents, effective sometime this summer. Apparently they will be “codifying” slower mail delivery schedules and laying off a bunch of mid-level management. Nothing like raising prices while reducing service...

Probably better to just raise it to 60 cents and be done with - simplify change, etc. Raise or just eliminate all the bulk mail rates other than for certified non-profits. Seems a lot of that mail has died off.....finally. Did make good for the fireplace this past winter, :wink: :wink:

Mid-level management - probably fat in that area - they need more clerks and folks on the floor!

Return to “eBay & Other Online Auctions”