I found out where all of the Current Line and Wagner trolley power trucks went ...,

All City Subway Models & Elevated Lines
J. S. Bach

I found out where all of the Current Line and Wagner trolley power trucks went ...,

Postby J. S. Bach » Thu May 13, 2021 8:17 pm

...over a hundred sold in today's Stout's auction, along with more brass traction than I have ever seen in one place at one time. I wonder whose
estate it was? I was totally surprised at some of the traction prices realized. There was a group of fifty-one Wagner power trucks that went for $4300 but at $84 each, it probably was a reasonable deal. Somehow I think that we will see a lot of this stuff on our ebay friend at 108south......'s sales listings! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

Rufus T. Firefly

Re: I found out where all of the Current Line and Wagner trolley power trucks went ...,

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu May 13, 2021 8:37 pm

J. S. Bach wrote:...over a hundred sold in today's Stout's auction, along with more brass traction than I have ever seen in one place at one time. I wonder whose
estate it was? I was totally surprised at some of the traction prices realized. There was a group of fifty-one Wagner power trucks that went for $4300 but at $84 each, it probably was a reasonable deal. Somehow I think that we will see a lot of this stuff on our ebay friend at 108south......'s sales listings! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

All seems a little high end for our eBay friend at 108south.....but while there were items that I might have liked to have, none were really anything that we must have for me. Looking for 1 specific item and it was not there, and that was probably of the best as well.

But I should sell off more of my stuff...........
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Joseph Frank1

Re: I found out where all of the Current Line and Wagner trolley power trucks went ...,

Postby Joseph Frank1 » Fri May 21, 2021 7:41 pm

Hello Dave (K)

I personally know someone who bought 28 pairs of Wagner (Power & Trailer) trucks -- but the auction guy really socked it to people. In addition to the auction bid price you would win, you paid and additional 19% of the auction price as handling & commission fee, = $817.00 AND PLUS your state Sales Tax, PLUS shipping, and PLUS 3% additional fee IF you paid by credit card. So that guy with the 51 trucks got hit as follows:

$4300.00 PLUS 19% additional of $4300, as the commission & handling fee to auctioneer, of $817.00 PLUS Shipping Cost (let say $30.00 for the weight of those trucks (or more!?) + your local state sales taxes (lets figure 8% of $4300) ) = $344.00 -- totaling $ 5491.00 AND NOW ALSO additionally, if paid by credit card - 3% fee charge of the total paid cost put on the card ($5491 x 3% = $167.73 ----- FOR A FINAL GRAND TOTAL PAID COST OF $ 5655.73 for the whole order. And THAT IS $ 1358.73 additional cost above the original $4300. bid !! If you pay by mailed in personal check -- there is no credit car fee charge. Well, there you have it. Worse conditions than FEE (e) Bay

Joe F

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Fri May 21, 2021 9:01 pm

Hi there Joe,
I only got two lots and considering all the additional costs, I am pleased with my purchase as one of the lots went for far less than it should have. One comment as to state sales tax, none was listed on my invoice.

As for the Wagner trucks two comments.One, someone that I know was in on the bidding for them but backed out right near the end. Two, the winner paid about $111.00 for each truck, not really too bad in today's market.

To me that buyers' premium is nothing more than a greedy rip-off; I know a lot of auction houses do it. My thoughts are that if it were such a great idea, the world's largest auction house would be using it.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat May 22, 2021 7:27 am

You know the terms of the sales were up front and anyone that was taken by surprise by fees and shipping deserved it. No sympathy at all for buyers on that front. You bid what you choose to bid and live with the consequences.

Buyers fees are very old history......and 15-20% is pretty standard for many auction houses. eBay runs enough sales volume that they don't need them and just soak the seller.

And yes, per unit not a bad buy if you can use all those drives or can afford to slowly sell them off so as to not impact the rest of the marketplace. But that's called work and I for one am not interested in buying work to do.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:13 am

Whoa............$260 and counting for a Q-car drive....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124974602058?s ... 1438.l2649

healey36

Postby healey36 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:09 am

...and still a day-and-a-half to go! What makes this so special? Quality? Rarity?

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:20 am

healey36 wrote:...and still a day-and-a-half to go! What makes this so special? Quality? Rarity?

I have no idea! Insulated set.....3 rail cross over madness??? I've not heard anything about Q-car drying up or shutting down, but who knows?

I've got to take a clsoer look at what I have in stock. For a few years there I was just outright buying every insulated drive set I ran across at shows. Maybe it's time I whittled down the contents of that shelf, :wink: :wink:

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:39 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Whoa............$260 and counting for a Q-car drive....

The starting price was somewhat high at $199!

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:52 pm

J. S. Bach wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Whoa............$260 and counting for a Q-car drive....

The starting price was somewhat high at $199!

Yes. I need to re-think my starting price on when I sell some of my excess drives off. Curious to see where this ends, :?

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:46 am

$260.55 is where this drive set sold.

Return to “Subway, Elevated, Trolley & Traction Lines”