YAHOO ANNOUNCEMENT - Yahoo is shutting down all Yahoo Groups very soon !

All City Subway Models & Elevated Lines
Joseph Frank1

YAHOO ANNOUNCEMENT - Yahoo is shutting down all Yahoo Groups very soon !

Postby Joseph Frank1 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:36 am

Hello ALL:

Important info for any of our members here at MTJ who may also operate, or are members of, any ACTIVE Yahoo Groups: It is announced by Yahoo that except for member email-messaging, ALL other functions of Yahoo Groups will very soon be shut down and terminated; See forwarded announcement below ..............
================================================================

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN31010.html?impressions=true

Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 21:05:56 PDT

Note from Yahoo:

Yahoo has announced that they are not going to allow users to upload content the the groups. Beginning October 21, 2019. We have until December 14, 2019 to save ALL our posts, photos, etc. before Yahoo removes them. Read below.
Understand what's changing in Yahoo Groups

Yahoo has made the decision to no longer allow users to upload content to the Yahoo Groups site. Beginning October 21, you won't be able to upload any more content to the site, and as of December 14 all previously posted content on the site will be permanently removed. You'll have until that date to save anything you've uploaded.
What features will go away?

Files
Polls
Links
Photos
Folders
Calendar
Database
Attachments
Conversations
Email Updates
Message Digest
Message History

What will happen to the site?

The Yahoo Groups site will continue to exist, however, all public groups will be made private or restricted. Any new group members will need to request an invite or be invited by an admin. Admins will still be able to manage various group settings, though some functionality will be limited.
What will happen on October 21st?

On October 21st, you will no longer be able to upload any content to the site. To share info with members of your groups, you'll continue to be able to do so via email.

Photos and files can be saved right from the Yahoo Groups site, or you can download your data from the Privacy Dashboard.
Will I be able to use Yahoo Groups going forward?

You'll still be able to communicate with your groups via email and search for private groups on the site. In addition, admins will continue to have limited access to group settings and administration tools.

=========================================================================

Well, that pretty much spells things out and sums it up. I strongly suggest if you want to save any files or photos stored on any Yahoo Groups, you do that now.

Also be aware that there have been some intermittent Yahoo system/ server overloads (photos wont load, files won't open, etc) due to countless thousands of yahoo group owners and members trying to open and save files, photos, and any other materials still stored on the groups.

I will be saving (to my computer and backup storage) some items in my MAIN and older Library Storage NYC Transit Modelers Group (at Yahoo) - mainly some links, files, and some long ago installed photos) from our 2 NYCTMG Groups. I previously moved my MAIN NYCTMG (yahoo) Group over to Groups.io server a year ago !

Regards - Joe F

Rufus T. Firefly

Re: YAHOO ANNOUNCEMENT - Yahoo is shutting down all Yahoo Groups very soon !

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:09 pm

Saw that but not gotten any notice as yet.

Pretty much ends the Yahoo groups.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Return to “Subway, Elevated, Trolley & Traction Lines”