Sideframes and Underbody info?

All City Subway Models & Elevated Lines
Rufus T. Firefly

Sideframes and Underbody info?

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:46 am

So, this followed me home from the O Scale Nat'l (could not resist it....), but I have no info on what trucks/sideframes are proper, nor any info on what underbody bits are correct or their proper locations. La Belle box it was in indicates it to be a Northern Indiana car.....and I think those are ong out of production by La Belle.

Anybody got any ideas or information they might share?
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Jim K

Re: Sideframes and Underbody info?

Postby Jim K » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:31 pm

You might try the CERA folks. The link below has some photos that might, repeat might, be of use.

Jim K

http://www.cera-chicago.org/Resources/D ... ailway.pdf

The CERA book on this railway system is still available. A borrowed one I have on the Chicago North
Shore & Milwaukee has some very good drawings and photos. They would be a big help IMHO.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NORTHERN-INDIA ... Sw32lYsGin
Last edited by Jim K on Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:35 pm

Good info - thanks!

Will take some time to digest....
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:04 pm

For what it's worth:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:27 am

Thanks! Looks like I have a lot of work ahead of me on this car.

rex desilets

Postby rex desilets » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:51 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:So, this followed me home from the O Scale Nat'l (could not resist it....), but I have no info on what trucks/sideframes are proper, nor any info on what underbody bits are correct or their proper locations. La Belle box it was in indicates it to be a Northern Indiana car.....and I think those are ong out of production by La Belle.

Anybody got any ideas or information they might share?
Everything old is new again:
https://www.labellemodels.com/northern- ... p-119.html

The trucks in the photo appear to be a Brill standard. I think you can get just the unpowered trucks from QCar and there are powering options that don't intrude into the interior from NWSL. Kewl.
Does anyone know if the LaBelle instructions illustrate underbody equipment arrangement?

Alzo...the body seems nicely done, especially the roof, although I'm not sure about the junction of roof end and body end in your photo.
“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” – John Adams

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:46 pm

rex desilets wrote:Alzo...the body seems nicely done, especially the roof, although I'm not sure about the junction of roof end and body end in your photo.

The roof appears to just be resting on the body, not attached yet.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:24 am

rex desilets wrote:The trucks in the photo appear to be a Brill standard. I think you can get just the unpowered trucks from QCar and there are powering options that don't intrude into the interior from NWSL. Kewl.

Actually, I'm not sure that you can just buy trucks from Qcar anymore; I seem to recall Quentin stopped selling them. Pretty sure I have something suitable though and a few Magic Carpet drives are about the shop, too.

Does anyone know if the LaBelle instructions illustrate underbody equipment arrangement?

They didn't, but when you bought the underbody from Qcar there as usually an illustration included to aid in their placement.

Alzo...the body seems nicely done, especially the roof, although I'm not sure about the junction of roof end and body end in your photo.

The roof is fully removable and just resting off set a bit.

Jim K

Postby Jim K » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:26 pm

Howdy,

The attachment shows the under floor equipment layout for a Labelle LSE traction unit from Wagner.
It might be of some help. If nothing else we'll need to cull the on-line Wagner files! I got this from
the old Current Line folks.

later...............

Jim K

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:32 pm

Thanks! That page is very familiar - I've built 2 LSE cars.

I need to shoot Quentin an e-mail..........

Jim K

Postby Jim K » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:19 pm

While we're talking....... does someone have a source for roof mounting hardware for passenger/trolley/traction
cars? I just stumbled on a site that had doll house stuff and some train stuff and found a little kit a couple
years back. It worked great of the traction motor. I can no longer find my source though. :( The kit
consisted of a couple of flat brass pieces, long bolts, small screws etc. The flat brass was put on the roof
and the long bolts came up through the floor......

Thanks,

Jim K

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:54 pm

Jim K wrote:While we're talking....... does someone have a source for roof mounting hardware for passenger/trolley/traction
cars? I just stumbled on a site that had doll house stuff and some train stuff and found a little kit a couple
years back. It worked great of the traction motor. I can no longer find my source though. :( The kit
consisted of a couple of flat brass pieces, long bolts, small screws etc. The flat brass was put on the roof
and the long bolts came up through the floor......

That seems to be the old Walthers kit for making a roof removable. Take a look at the Scale City Designs web site for that - they may have resurrected it.

Last trolley that I did that I wanted a removable roof on, I used a 3" deck screw that I trimmed to length and used up through the floor into the roof - the head of the screw sits down in between the floor framing and is not visible. It goes into the rood section maybe 1-2 turns at best but that's plenty to hold the roof in place.

Return to “Subway, Elevated, Trolley & Traction Lines”