SUB CHAT Forums are down -- maybe for ever ??

All City Subway Models & Elevated Lines
Joseph Frank1

SUB CHAT Forums are down -- maybe for ever ??

Postby Joseph Frank1 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:50 pm

Hello all ---

For the past few days the forums of SUB CHAT, BUS CHAT, and OT Char at http://www.subchat.com -- have been off the air -- off line. I used a website checker set of tools and all came back negative -- Sub Chat site dead as a dead battery. Np pings, nothing. Perhaps its server is down ?

Anyone have any idea what happened? Nothing on other forums about it.

It is listed at operating in Linden, New Jersey - IP is (http://www.subchat.com) 75.127.181.133 The IP is dead also
The owner who set up the site is Larry Fendrick, formerly of Brooklyn, NY.

Here is a WHOIS page site that give all the information about SUB CHAT ownership, domains, etc - by the way - its domain expired Sept. 15, 2018

https://whois.easycounter.com/subchat.com

regards - Joe F
Last edited by Joseph Frank1 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rufus T. Firefly

Re: SUB CHAT Forums are down -- maybe for gpod ??

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:25 am

Joseph Frank1 wrote:..... its domain expired Sept. 15, 2018

How does something expire in advance? That's better than 2 weeks away.

Anyhow, never heard of any of them before this posting, so my caring meter is not registering anything. Gone for good, maybe for the best - not missing any of them.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Joseph Frank1

Postby Joseph Frank1 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:50 pm

Hello

You should be aware that any site can be shut down by its owner (or domain paid owner) anytime prior to its expiration date. Depends upon if the operator/owner was possibly just fed up with running it an longer, or if the site generated too many trolls, loons, flamers, instigators, etc. with flame wars ongoing that was not worth the money spent to maintain the site.

Look at O Gauge Hobbyist Forums -- set up back in what, 2008, by Frank Knautz (aka as "Frank53' ) who ran it successfully until it slowly died down and out --- and he posted a final notice some months ago of his intent to close it unless he was given reason not to -- and a week later he just clicked the switch and it was gone. He was paying for a domain-site no one was using -- so he shut it down. Some Yahoo groups were closed the same way - here today - gone tomorrow.

Anyway, Sub Chat was NOT at all a site for trolley, traction modelers - tho I did post my stuff there at times and got a few responses --- a tiny fraction of the membership. It was filled with wiseguys, flamers, trolls, instigators and just troublemakers -- but still having a very small group of really interesting and knowledgeable persons on board -- those ones who WILL be missed.

Regards - Joe F

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:54 am

Painfully aware of those facts -- I've "owned" domains and contracts with hosting companies. Your wording prompted my response as this was taken to be something surprising. Thing is that ownership of the domain is usually for a set period of time; the owner can however delete the entire content..... Yahoo groups are somewhat different and can be totally erased with a click. Sub Chat may have also been removed by the host as well for having content that violated ToS.

You along with all the other traction folks are of course free to migrate to here and/or to the OST forum site.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Joseph Frank1

Postby Joseph Frank1 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:43 pm

I do not need to migrate over here, heh !

I have been HERE at Model train Journal since the beginning of MTJ !! . The owner Bill Lango set up the Subway-Traction forums on my request sometime shortly after MTJ opened many years ago now -- and have posted a lot of threads thru the years. Many old threads of mine were purged with other member's old old threads in recent times - I guess to save site space.

regards - Joe F

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:01 pm

Joseph Frank1 wrote:I do not need to migrate over here, heh !

Yes, but bring the others with you! We need more people posting!!!! Or bring them over to OST!!

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:39 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Yes, but bring the others with you! We need more people posting!!!! Or bring them over to OST!!

Change that to "some" of the others; the loon ratio was quite high.

Joseph Frank1

Re: SUB CHAT Forums are down -- maybe for ever ??

Postby Joseph Frank1 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:31 am

Hello Dave (Bach...)

You got that right, ("some" of the others) heh -- by the way -- check this out -- a CACHE of the last day of Sub Chat -- this thread being the "Tuscarora+Almanac+for+August+28" with the last final posts to make it to Sub chat being on the very early morning hours of Aug. 29th, Wednesday, which is when I noted the site was down. So from Aug 29th thru to now, Sept. 2nd that would be 5 days by now....

http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=Sub+Chat+Tuscarora+Almanac+for+August+28%2c+2018&d=1949999981182&mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&w=TqD-f9nlOggRYjmy10t2dKw1kIXQrnQ9

PS: J B my neighbor and our friend, finally got a 2nd (used) car - A (2005 or 06 I think) Cadulac Sedan De Ville 4 door complete with a few dents and bangs - otherwise looks nice.

PS: My HO Mainline Railroad "shelf layout" has a new 4 track 45 degree angle crossing bridge passing across the front door -- so NOW the train room door can be fully opened inward with (and to fully clear) the new bridge up and my HO Mainline RR Passenger (and some freight) trains running all around the ENTIRE train room

Regards - Joe F

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:29 am

Apparently Sub Chat has been reborn?

Joseph Frank1

Postby Joseph Frank1 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:26 pm

SUB CHAT FORUMS are ALL BACK ON LINE now as of 9-3-2018 -- see my new THREAD with details

regards - Joe F

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:02 pm

Joseph Frank1 wrote:Hello Dave (Bach...) ...snip... My HO Mainline Railroad "shelf layout" has a new 4 track 45 degree angle crossing bridge passing across the front door -- so NOW the train room door can be fully opened inward with (and to fully clear) the new bridge up and my HO Mainline RR Passenger (and some freight) trains running all around the ENTIRE train room
Regards - Joe F

I just realized that I never replied to this. Glad to hear about the HO. I doubt that I will ever get up that way anymore as I do not travel much now. I will shure miss visiting your layouts! I wish that I still had the skills now to build one; oh well, I can still dream.

Nortonville Phil

Postby Nortonville Phil » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:15 am

Joseph Frank1 wrote:Hello Dave (Bach...)

PS: My HO Mainline Railroad "shelf layout" has a new 4 track 45 degree angle crossing bridge passing across the front door -- so NOW the train room door can be fully opened inward with (and to fully clear) the new bridge up and my HO Mainline RR Passenger (and some freight) trains running all around the ENTIRE train room

Regards - Joe F

What a coincidence Joe. I was just looking through some early 80s' Traction & Models magazines last night and came across some photos and write up about your old HO EL layout. Neat!
Phil Randall
Trinity Valley Traction Co.
Red Oak, TX

My trolley blog:
http://bluebonnetlimited.blogspot.com/

https://youtube.com/@cug6?si=BCFnDDtUw2eVKamo

Dallas Fort Worth O Scale Modelers

Joseph Frank1

Postby Joseph Frank1 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:51 am

Hello Phil (Randall)

Glad you came across those old articles from 1980-1981 - - nearly 40 years ago ! THAT modular built El layout is in storage but you can see current photos of it on my HO Scale NY EL FLICKR Photos Album - and give you a more extensive idea of what it was -- here is one of the two Album LINKS

https://www.flickr.com/photos/44268069@ ... 4675565718 From about 1970 to 1983 and present

https://www.flickr.com/photos/44268069@ ... 2691332701 From its humble start in late 1964-early 1965 thru 1970

Some of the HO Modules are on display in my train room where the O Scale NYC EL is prominently set up.

I still have all my old T&M Magazines

Regards - Joe F

Joseph Frank1

Postby Joseph Frank1 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:57 am

Hello Dave !

You are not traveling much anymore !!?? Cost or Health issues ? You always traveled in recent past times ! I am wondering if you / home, suffered with the massive hurricane(s) that recently hit the "Carolinas" ? Hoping all is OK in your relatively new home there.

I don't want to travel - drive long distances - much anymore -- after driving a recorded documented 1.2 million miles since 1967, I have lost the thrill and allure of driving on today's highways with the present generation and many crazies out there on the roads. I have what I need from the internet and all the stuff (and modeling) I have ongoing at home (when I GET to it, that is) !!

Well, keep in touch !

regards - Joe F

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:16 pm

Joe,
Cost and somewhat of a lack of interest in shows now. As far as the last storm, our area had very little damage, in fact my lights did not even flicker. Uncle Mike I hope will be the same. 1.2 million; I probably have come close to that, what with work and personal driving. I can see why you do not want to do much more.

Return to “Subway, Elevated, Trolley & Traction Lines”