Subway, Elevated, Trolley & Traction Lines photos

All City Subway Models & Elevated Lines
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: Subway, Elevated, Trolley & Traction Lines photos

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:27 am

healey36 wrote:U. S. Capitol "subway", 1916

Almost looks to have originated as an automobile or truck frame of some sort.

Funky! I'd imagine that there's good info on that somewhere, :wink: :wink:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:19 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
healey36 wrote:That looks to have been built for a specific purpose, of which I have no idea other than MOW of some sort. The Indiana Railroad seems to have been quite innovative in this regard.

Lots of lines built up motor flats for all sorts of uses -- got to get into building one or two soon.

I don't recall seeing one with such a narrow cab before. Seems set up to carry lengths of something. Possibly the cab is set to one side of the flat, maybe?

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:38 pm

healey36 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
healey36 wrote:That looks to have been built for a specific purpose, of which I have no idea other than MOW of some sort. The Indiana Railroad seems to have been quite innovative in this regard.

Lots of lines built up motor flats for all sorts of uses -- got to get into building one or two soon.

I don't recall seeing one with such a narrow cab before. Seems set up to carry lengths of something. Possibly the cab is set to one side of the flat, maybe?

Probably for carrying rail.

I've seen narrower and wider and some raised up to slide rail under each side; seems an endless array of designs put into practice. Then there are the ones that were center cab and then single end or double end..... I look at them and just see endless fun building opportunities.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Jim K

Postby Jim K » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:19 pm

'tis the season, or getting to be!

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:14 pm

Interesting, a temporary(?) wood platform for the passengers.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:02 am

healey36

Postby healey36 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:41 pm

It appears that someone's had that out off-roading (off-tracking, perhaps).

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:15 pm

healey36 wrote:It appears that someone's had that out off-roading (off-tracking, perhaps).

Hard use and hard winters in Harrisburg. Work and line car probably....something not all that far removed from the single truck resin kit cars that I used to produce except this has a monitor style roof. Someday, something to revisit just for the giggles.......

healey36

Postby healey36 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:30 pm

The horizontal grabs going up the side to reach the roof are interesting. Details like that are what makes this stuff, to my mind. No two cars are the same, at least with the MOW equipment. If I had it to do all over, I think I would pursue modeling traction.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:07 pm

healey36 wrote:The horizontal grabs going up the side to reach the roof are interesting.

That's why I suspect some sort of MOW line car use given the overall condition.

Details like that are what makes this stuff, to my mind. No two cars are the same, at least with the MOW equipment. If I had it to do all over, I think I would pursue modeling traction.

Come on in - the modeling diversity in the traction area is vast and good fun!

Joseph Frank1

Postby Joseph Frank1 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:54 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
healey36 wrote:The horizontal grabs going up the side to reach the roof are interesting.

Details like that are what makes this stuff, to my mind. No two cars are the same, at least with the MOW equipment. If I had it to do all over, I think I would pursue modeling traction.

======================================================================================

Hi ! Re: your statement >> " Come on in - the modeling diversity in the traction area is vast and good fun! " -- <<

Well, heh, its quite obvious the ONLY modeling done and seen on these many pages since November last year (2020) - and also a few weeks ago, are a few of my own model photos and my transit-traction modeling and rolling stock. Seems no one posts ANY traction-transit modeling projects here any more on this thread. (Joe F)

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:07 pm

Joseph Frank1 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

======================================================================================

Hi ! Re: your statement >> " Come on in - the modeling diversity in the traction area is vast and good fun! " -- <<

Well, heh, its quite obvious the ONLY modeling done and seen on these many pages since November last year (2020) - and also a few weeks ago, are a few of my own model photos and my transit-traction modeling and rolling stock. Seems no one posts ANY traction-transit modeling projects here any more on this thread. (Joe F)

I stopped posting my modeling efforts here. No one was looking other than to make disparaging comments about models they could not build at all. I still post some of my 2 rail car projects over on the 3 rail section of MTJ where building models is actually appreciated and those were far more recent than last year. However, there is little appreciation of model building anywhere else on MTJ.

I gave up similarly on OGR -- there's minimal interest in model building there, just lots of "look at my new shiny thing" discussions.

But, when I posted that sttement I was referring to joining in a general sense and not referring to this forum at all.

Joseph Frank1

Postby Joseph Frank1 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:56 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
Joseph Frank1 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

I stopped posting my modeling efforts here. No one was looking other than to make disparaging comments about models they could not build at all. I still post some of my 2 rail car projects over on the 3 rail section of MTJ where building models is actually appreciated and those were far more recent than last year. However, there is little appreciation of model building anywhere else on MTJ.

I gave up similarly on OGR -- there's minimal interest in model building there, just lots of "look at my new shiny thing" discussions.

But, when I posted that statement I was referring to joining in a general sense and not referring to this forum at all.

===================================================================================================================

Hello Again !

Thanks for the honest commentary. But I DO remember and enjoyed seeing your hand built / crafted models you posted --- that was back when I and a number of others also frequently posted and shared our hand-on modeling work. But you notice that I have posted very little here also for the past few years -- and more so because I cannot any longer load photos of my models stored on my computer on the system here at MTJ. Unless I get URL addresses for them for a photo host site A big P I T A.

But I agree with what you wrote about no one (or few) looking and some whiner-comments from so viewers. Sad the way things have changed in the hobby. - especially about looking "at the shiny new thing I just bought" type photos.

Joe F

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:40 am

Joseph Frank1 wrote:Hello Again !

Thanks for the honest commentary. But I DO remember and enjoyed seeing your hand built / crafted models you posted --- that was back when I and a number of others also frequently posted and shared our hand-on modeling work. But you notice that I have posted very little here also for the past few years -- and more so because I cannot any longer load photos of my models stored on my computer on the system here at MTJ. Unless I get URL addresses for them for a photo host site A big P I T A.

Again, I have continued to post over on the 3 rail section simply because there's more interest there than anywhere else on MTJ. There are a number of scratchbuilt and more recently rebuilt metal cars in "Modelers Thread" there. Once I get a few models ("others") off my bench, finish restoring a walnut Eastlake frame and mirrored shadow box, the upper 1/2 of a Hoosier cabinet, etc., I'll have a little more space in my shop.

I have not built much in the way of traction that I want to post here; what small amounts (busy on other stuff!) that I build in my shop are reserved for my column or reviews in OST.

But I agree with what you wrote about no one (or few) looking and some whiner-comments from so viewers. Sad the way things have changed in the hobby. - especially about looking "at the shiny new thing I just bought" type photos.

Sadly, the RTR boom and now its burst bubble has depleted a segment of the O scale population from the actual model building aspect of this hobby. They won't because they can't (silly...) because they never learned or tried.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:46 am

Hey, I enjoy seeing models, especially well-crafted stuff like you guys produce (hope that doesn't sound like whining). I'm not sure it's necessarily beyond my skill-set, but certainly far beyond my knowledge base, which was kinda the point of this thread...I wanted to see some 1:1 scale stuff, along with a few model interpretations thereof. Having grown up in the sticks, I figured maybe I'd learn something along the way (which I have).

Return to “Subway, Elevated, Trolley & Traction Lines”