All City Subway Models & Elevated Lines
Joseph Frank1

2017 MASS TRANSIT MODELERS MEET - Reminder

Postby Joseph Frank1 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:40 am

NY CITY MODEL TRANSIT ASSN..jpg
NY CITY MODEL TRANSIT ASSN..jpg (11.56 KiB) Viewed 6387 times

Presented By - New York City Model Transit Association
http://www.nycmodeltransit.org
The Fall 2017 Mass Transit & Trolley Modelers' Convention Presented By - The New York City Model Transit Association & The Shore Line Trolley Museum
======================================================================================================

Posted by: sctransit36@gmail.com

Hello all,

We are now only 1 month away! Please plan on attending what may be our last meet for a while.

Due to waning interest and lack of financially viable and centrally located venues, it has become most difficult to produce this event.

It is our hope to have a successful meet this fall, so please come out and support the hobby, visit with friends and contribute to this worthy event to raise funds for the Shore Line Trolley Museum. Visit the website for details -

http://www.nycmodeltransit.org/2017details.htm

Saturday, November 4th 2017

The PAL Center
33 Baldwin Road
Parsippany, NJ 07054

9 am to 5 pm
Admission $15 advance registration - $20 at the door.
Sales tables $40 each in advance - $45 at the door.

Hope to see you there!
Steve Olsen
NYC Model Transit Association

Joseph Frank1

Re: 2017 MASS TRANSIT MODELERS MEET - new SERIOUS NEWS

Postby Joseph Frank1 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:21 pm

Hello All ---

Thru the hard work of Steve Olsen, Nate Gerstein and Bill Wall, for over 20 years, the NYC Model Transit Assn. has held annual Mass Transit Modelers Meets -- but these meets may now come to a temporary end -- hopefully not a permanent end.

Here is the MEET notice posted on other Traction-Transit related message boards and forums, as well as seen just above HERE at MTJ Subways forums, where you can re-read its message ....

As one of the handful of Co-Founders of the NYC Model Transit Assn., back in 1981, this to me is unfortunate news for this tiny fraction of the model railway hobby. We have already long ago lost our decades surviving three main Trolley-Traction Magazines, as well as O-Scale News Magazine. The forums replaced these.

However, as another forum member here at OGR Subways forum , Steve P (aka SIRT), posted in another thread a week ago, Steve related that for many years ago we had a very active new resurgence of transit and traction modeling and participants, thanks to MTH entering the O-Gauge MODEL SUBWAYS field back in 1999-2000. But this resurgence and subway-transit modeling related activity -- perhaps even interest, has slowed quite considerably over the past few years, at this and other subway-Traction related forums. And meet participation has over the past many years, been slowly dwindling. I have seen it first hand.

I would hope that some of you will make an attempt to attend and support this November 4th Meet - it may be the last one.

regards - Joe F

Joseph Frank1

Re: 2017 MASS TRANSIT MODELERS MEET - Reminder

Postby Joseph Frank1 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:47 am

Hello Everyone ---

Well, perhaps the notice thread posted by Steve Olsen at OGR about a possibility of this 11-2017 Meet being the "last show" -- and this thread here (THANKS to all who posted their ideas, comments, etc!) -- drew more support and attendees. While not as busy as some years ago previous shows, it was still a very a good show. What helped was not having the Sunday extra day cost-wise and scant Sunday (last year) attendance Steve already posted photos he took at the present show on his "Meet was a success" thread here at OGR -- so I will post my photos which are in a new photo ALBUM on my Flickr Page --

here is the link ----- https://flic.kr/s/aHsm8QsHHN

And here is the link to Steve Markowitz's Flickr Album photos taken at the show --- https://flic.kr/s/aHskrdoEF3

And for those who missed the link Steve Olsen posted to his Flickr Album photos -- here it is again ------------- https://flic.kr/s/aHsm8zvjCy

I met with long time old friends, made some new friends, had a good time and had a two good meals at the 2 blocks away EMPIRE diner both Friday and Saturday nights at shows-end with a group of attendees. The weather held up well and the Later Saturday expected rain didn't come to Jersey & Philly until about near midnight Saturday. ALL the operating layouts ran very well and it appeared we had some first-timer-attendees as well !

So for those who came, thanks -- Steve O and Nate G and Bill W did a good job again hosting this shows !

regards ! - Joe F

Rufus T. Firefly

Re: 2017 MASS TRANSIT MODELERS MEET - new SERIOUS NEWS

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:35 am

Joseph Frank1 wrote: We have already long ago lost our decades surviving three main Trolley-Traction Magazines, as well as O-Scale News Magazine. The forums replaced these.

Traction & Models faded away long ago; Trolley Talk dropped out of existence long ago. 3rd one was??

OSN drifted into oblivion more than a decade ago....

So, let me reinforce for you that O Scale Trains magazine still promotes trolley & traction and would also greatly welcome the submission of articles for publication on that topic! One of the reasons publications drop publication of a topic is that no one bothers to step up and provide that content. On that same note, O Scale Trains magazine would be more than pleased to feature trolley & traction layouts!!!

But this resurgence and subway-transit modeling related activity -- perhaps even interest, has slowed quite considerably over the past few years, at this and other subway-Traction related forums. And meet participation has over the past many years, been slowly dwindling. I have seen it first hand.

While meet attendance has indeed dropped, and there may be a host of reasons for that aspect, I am unsure that actual interest has dropped judging by the extravagant prices that last collection of trolley & traction items sold for on eBay. There are people out there buying 1/2 finished cars and boxes of parts, drives, etc. and paying more for it than I've ever seen before.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Joseph Frank1

Postby Joseph Frank1 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:07 am

Hello, "whomever" (and YOU are, heh, NOT "Rufus" !!)

PS: I think that last magazine was Scale Model Traction & Trolleys Quarterly by Mike Grutsch of I think Milwaukee

My observations as to why attendance at some traction meets and also forum activity (subway- traction etc)_ participation is markedly down over the past few years --- is because over the past number of years, the younger to near middle agers have either gotten married and had children, and the even back then younger ones who married long ago, now have near or present teenage children -- and the attending responsibilities on their spare time ( job, family, children, finances and ever growing expenses etc.,

Others have lost their good jobs (the economy collapse six and more years ago) and perhaps are in part time or in temporary lower paying wage jobs and the hobby and money involved in the participation in such, is out of reach for them presently.

Also distance from shows and travel costs and overnight lodging costs --- as well as many of the long term hobbyists like myself, who have so much already and spent so much over the decades in it -- well, you get it --- we have enough, to too much already !

Lastly, as we grow older -- medical and other issues arise -- I have seen it quite many times in many of my traction friends -- and have seen quite a number of traction pals and modelers who have passed away over the past 5 or so years (one at work at 58 years old - suddenly, a few weeks ago) --- but bottom line is there are no younger (20 to 35 ages) replacements for EACH of we much older traction modelers. Its quite obvious by all the bald and grey haired much older guys seen in the majority at various shows !

Also it is a "hands on" modelers format -- and most younger persons today are not so much into "building, constructing, things but rather "shake it from the box instantly ready to go " types. Which is why hobby shops have been closing in record numbers across the country over the past 10 years.

These are the Facts, "whomever", and I have lived them as one of the still few very active ones in the transit-traction modeling hobby

regards - Joe F !

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:45 am

Joseph Frank1 wrote:Hello, "whomever" (and YOU are, heh, NOT "Rufus" !!)

PS: I think that last magazine was Scale Model Traction & Trolleys Quarterly by Mike Grutsch of I think Milwaukee

I confess to having never heard of that one!

My observations as to why attendance at some traction meets and also forum activity (subway- traction etc)_ participation is markedly down over the past few years --- is because over the past number of years, the younger to near middle agers have either gotten married and had children, and the even back then younger ones who married long ago, now have near or present teenage children -- and the attending responsibilities on their spare time ( job, family, children, finances and ever growing expenses etc.,

Others have lost their good jobs (the economy collapse six and more years ago) and perhaps are in part time or in temporary lower paying wage jobs and the hobby and money involved in the participation in such, is out of reach for them presently.

Also distance from shows and travel costs and overnight lodging costs --- as well as many of the long term hobbyists like myself, who have so much already and spent so much over the decades in it -- well, you get it --- we have enough, to too much already !

Lastly, as we grow older -- medical and other issues arise -- I have seen it quite many times in many of my traction friends -- and have seen quite a number of traction pals and modelers who have passed away over the past 5 or so years (one at work at 58 years old - suddenly, a few weeks ago) --- but bottom line is there are no younger (20 to 35 ages) replacements for EACH of we much older traction modelers. Its quite obvious by all the bald and grey haired much older guys seen in the majority at various shows !

Also it is a "hands on" modelers format -- and most younger persons today are not so much into "building, constructing, things but rather "shake it from the box instantly ready to go " types. Which is why hobby shops have been closing in record numbers across the country over the past 10 years.

These are the Facts, "whomever", and I have lived them as one of the still few very active ones in the transit-traction modeling hobby

All of the above is not unique to traction modeling by any means, and applies rather well to the O scale community at large. You only have to attend the March Meet in Chicago to see exactly what you state. And, despite being retired now, I'm probably on the younger side of the bell curve! However, the past 2 meets there have had an increasing component of youngers (1/2 my age guys) buying not only RTR, but also buying kits and projects to build. They are out there and only need to be connected to and supported/encouraged.

Back to my main point - there are publications that will and do provide support to traction. But, they need support from that community and that means articles for without content being provided for publication, those same publications do not have staff writers to just labor on creating publications for a community that is not invested in participation. We are not going to get traction and trolley modeling into the hands of the younger modelers if it's not going to be featured in the remaining publications that are willing to publish such articles.

Sent an article to O scale Trains! Contact them to see if they would be interested in having your layout featured in print!
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Return to “Subway, Elevated, Trolley & Traction Lines”