Thanks, Wayne. I had no idea.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Rufus T. Firefly

Re: Overhead Wire Traction

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:12 am

webenda wrote:Here is what I get with a "right click."

What OS are you using? I don't get what you have either.

BTW, very interesting on the electric roads for the trucks.....just a 1.2 mile test section, but puts all that traffic to a dedicated section of road at what is purported to be a significant energy savings if projected forward.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Tom Dempsey

Postby Tom Dempsey » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:16 pm

You know, if you flanged those wheels and put rails in the ground, it might even be more efficient.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:35 pm

Tom Dempsey wrote:You know, if you flanged those wheels and put rails in the ground, it might even be more efficient.

I had that thought, but the truck drops the pans, takes the off ramp, and delivers to the warehouse or your house. Still need the rail based to move the bulk, but done right (think like Amazon does...) this could be used to cut out 2-3 stages and transfers to shortcut delivery and make it more direct.

Probably very doable in Sweden. People will fight it tooth & claw in the US.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

webenda

Postby webenda » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:37 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

I am using Windows 10 Home, Version 1703, OS Build 15063.540.
But that is not where I get my Internet Search Engine (ISE) with the ability to search for the source of images by right clicking the image. My ISE is from Google Chrome 60.0.3112.113 (Official Build) (64-bit) (cohort: Stable), Revision 95c454326a7a3153e984e50a4719924968490717-refs/branch-heads/3112@{#744}
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:31 pm

webenda wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

But that is not where I get my Internet Search Engine (ISE) with the ability to search for the source of images by right clicking the image. My ISE is from Google Chrome 60.0.3112.113 (Official Build) (64-bit) (cohort: Stable), Revision 95c454326a7a3153e984e50a4719924968490717-refs/branch-heads/3112@{#744}

Totally different - I only use Chrome for my internet radio stations..... And, I have a Win 7 system.....using Firefox 95% of the time.

webenda

Postby webenda » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:53 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
webenda wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

Totally different - I only use Chrome for my internet radio stations..... And, I have a Win 7 system.....using Firefox 95% of the time.

I feel sorry for you. :(
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:45 am

webenda wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
webenda wrote:I am using Windows 10 Home, Version 1703, OS Build 15063.540.

If you wish. I also have an XP laptop to run one software package - the current version is a licensed download for ~$3k per year. The older version that I have on that computer does all that I need while the current 90 gig download is ~ 95% stuff I never use.

Current set up does all that I need. I do worry about the next computer that my son will build for me and then also potentially being stuck with Office365 and Win 10. I have that arrangement at the office and it is a complete and total slug with less useful functionality regardless of browser.

webenda

Postby webenda » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:44 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
webenda wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

If you wish. I also have an XP laptop to run one software package - the current version is a licensed download for ~$3k per year. The older version that I have on that computer does all that I need while the current 90 gig download is ~ 95% stuff I never use.

Current set up does all that I need. I do worry about the next computer that my son will build for me and then also potentially being stuck with Office365 and Win 10. I have that arrangement at the office and it is a complete and total slug with less useful functionality regardless of browser.

My cheap computer and Windows 10 operating system is lightning fast.

Here is a speed test of the system:

UserBenchmarks:
CPU: Intel Pentium E5300 - 20% (Very poor)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB - 98.3% (Outstanding)
HDD: Hitachi HDT721064SLA360 640GB - 40% (Below average)
USB: Lexar USB Flash Drive 16GB - 6.6% (Terrible)
RAM: Unknown 3x2GB - 14.4% (Very poor)
MBD: Hp-pavilion AV010AA-ABA p6212f
http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/5008356

So... how can I say it is lightning fast? If a computer can capture my keyboard input faster than I can type, I rate it lightning fast. My first computer, a Radio Shack Color Computer, could not keep up with my typing. When the buffer got full I had to stop typing and wait to see what the last key to be captured was.
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:12 pm

webenda wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
webenda wrote:I feel sorry for you. :(

My cheap computer and Windows 10 operating system is lightning fast.

Here is a speed test of the system:

UserBenchmarks:
CPU: Intel Pentium E5300 - 20% (Very poor)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB - 98.3% (Outstanding)
HDD: Hitachi HDT721064SLA360 640GB - 40% (Below average)
USB: Lexar USB Flash Drive 16GB - 6.6% (Terrible)
RAM: Unknown 3x2GB - 14.4% (Very poor)
MBD: Hp-pavilion AV010AA-ABA p6212f
http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/5008356

So... how can I say it is lightning fast? If a computer can capture my keyboard input faster than I can type, I rate it lightning fast. My first computer, a Radio Shack Color Computer, could not keep up with my typing. When the buffer got full I had to stop typing and wait to see what the last key to be captured was.

I have not had a computer that slow in many years.....decades, actually. It's plenty fast; I just do not ask it to do all that much at any given time despite my propensity for multi-tasking

Arthur P. Bloom

Postby Arthur P. Bloom » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:51 pm

"People" ? You mean, I suspect, "union people" as in "Teamster people" and NIMBY people?

If the developers were to spin the system a little differently...let's see...how about this headline:

"Dual-power Diesel/Electric 18-wheelers to get recharging zones on major highways" THAT might appease the NIMBY's and the good ol' boys.
"I'll have the roast duck...with the mango salsa."

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:35 am

Arthur P. Bloom wrote:

"People" ? You mean, I suspect, "union people" as in "Teamster people" and NIMBY people?

If the developers were to spin the system a little differently...let's see...how about this headline:

"Dual-power Diesel/Electric 18-wheelers to get recharging zones on major highways" THAT might appease the NIMBY's and the good ol' boys.

Might if you were attempting this with rational people; we have dire shortage of them and gross overstocking of the ones that can only see what's in it for them that are chanting, "Me! Me! Me!" and "Mine! Mine! Mine!"

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:00 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
Arthur P. Bloom wrote:

Might if you were attempting this with rational people; we have dire shortage of them and gross overstocking of the ones that can only see what's in it for them that are chanting, "Me! Me! Me!" and "Mine! Mine! Mine!"

Rufus,
Unfortunately you have said this more succinctly that I would have. The future looks darker and darker to me but not because of my eyes. :(
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

webenda

Postby webenda » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:57 pm

----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:30 pm

From Baltimore:
BTCoTrackless002.jpg

BTCoTrackless001.jpg

The reality:
BTCoTrackless005.jpg

This Baltimore trackless was rescued from a used car lot (one of two being used as storage sheds, the other was 2076. I got the front destination out of 2076 and we put it in 2078 for the move) and towed over some of the original routings with a few photo stops. I got to ride in it to keep the front doors closed; ended up not needing to so I sat back and enjoyed the ride. So I became the last trackless passenger in Baltimore. :roll:

Return to “Subway, Elevated, Trolley & Traction Lines”