Dave,
Where did it eventually end up?
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

J. S. Bach

Re: Overhead Wire Traction

Postby J. S. Bach » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:52 pm

The Baltimore Streetcar Museum still has it although I have no idea where it is now being stored. At one time it was being stored in the Mass Transit Administration's Bush Street facility (it may have even operated out of there at one time).

A study in contrasts:
BTCoTrackless004.jpg

I blew through two thirty-six exposure rolls on 35mm Ecktachrome on this move; I just need to find the rest of them and digitize them.

Note that both transit vehicles are now part of Baltimore's transit history; the bus scrapped and the trackless to the museum.

webenda

Postby webenda » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:26 am

J. S. Bach wrote: I got to ride in it to keep the front doors closed; ended up not needing to so I sat back and enjoyed the ride. So I became the last trackless passenger in Baltimore. :roll:

What great photos Dave, I love them--thank you for posting.
That last photo, of 2078 being towed by a wrecker looks so sad. :( But it is not totally sad because is being towed to preservation. :D
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

webenda

Postby webenda » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:47 am

----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:39 am

Reminds me of one time in Penn Station in Baltimore of seeing a really mangled pan sitting on the ground by the station building.

webenda

Postby webenda » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:56 pm

webenda wrote:
What I want to do is start a thread of electric traction photos where the source of power is an overhead electric wire(s.) The photo alone should have enough appeal that no accompanying text is required. That does not mean text is not welcome.

MBTA RTS Ice Cutter bus No. 0267 at North Cambridge, Boston.

Not a trolley bus, not a trackless trolley, it an Ice Cutter.

It was a revenue coach until 2006. Pictured in 2008 by ck4049, it is no longer in revenue service.

Sometimes the trolley wires get covered with ice and the trolleys cannot run. Source of power for 0267 is not from the trolley poles, this bus runs with diesel power. The poles are dummy poles used for ice cutting duties. It is used for work service only.

Does not meet my original requirement for traction vehicles powered by overhead wires but it is an interesting piece of traction support equipment.
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:28 am

Interesting coincidence of the ice cutter's duties and the
advertising placard on its side... :lol: :lol:
Take care,
Wolfgang

Return to “Subway, Elevated, Trolley & Traction Lines”